Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    You'd have to have been born before ~ 1990 to have heard of Orgeon Trail. I'd assume that most of us who grew up playing it though are comfortable with it's place on that list. I spent countless hours playing it.

---------- Post added 2012-11-16 at 01:22 PM ----------

The Legend of Zelda is The Legend of Zelda. Good god you people are making me feel old.
    For it to have been the 4th ''greatest'' game of all time as an old 70's game (Yes, you're old xD), the keyword is that it must have been genre-defining, kind of how the Super Mario series have been, they pretty much defined the sidescrolling genre as we know it today. The Super Mario games weren't the most polished nor did they have the best graphics or entertainment value (when I was a kid, we could play Super Mario Bros 3 on our NES all day for a while, then get bored with it and not play for a month, but I bet I didn't even play it 1/10th of the time I've spent playing WoW.)
    The Super Mario games also appealed to children and adults all over the planet, and I'll bet anything that the reason I've never even heard of The Oregon Trail until now is that I'm Scandinavian. It sounds VERY ''American only'' to me.

#4? N***a please.

It should not be up there.

PS. I was born in 1988.
    Last edited by mmoc1ea225bcc9; 2012-11-16 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Descense View Post
    Where is Duke nukem? Where is C&C games? (and no dune doesnt count as C&C)

This list fells bribed!

Also junk games:
    The Oregon Trail, Breakout, Punch-Out!!, Solitaire, Tecmo Bowl, Wii Sports, Desktop Tower Defense, Flower, Hunt the Wumpus (those dont desere too be called games at all)
    Sorry bud but Breakout and Punch-Out more than deserve to be on the list as does Tecmo Bowl.

I won't start taking these greatest games of all times list seriously for another 10 years. By then enough people who grew up playing REAL video games (on consuls and computers) will be the people making these.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sighz View Post
    Not a single one of the Pokemon games?
    List was probably set up by the same kind of people who blame WoW and CoD for kids going on a real life killing spree. (Or doing anything bad, really)
    The Pokemon games, oh the Pokemon games. Pretty much my entire generation (I'm 24) had their first taste of what an RPG is with these games, and they're some of the oldest games that are still widely played today - My offline emergency gaming kit consists of Pokémon rom games and a handful of single player games.
    At least I'm happy that Chrono Trigger made the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Xalzel View Post
    I won't start taking these greatest games of all times list seriously for another 10 years. By then enough people who grew up playing REAL video games (on consuls and computers) will be the people making these.
    Eh, you youngins place too much stock in "graphics" and crap like that. I know kids who won't touch 8 or 16 bit games because they don't look good enough even though the gameplay is 10x better than a lot of games that are out now.

Call of Duty higher than Deus Ex? Yeah...No.
    Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 4527-7566-5852. PM if you add me.

Deleted
    I actually think the only way a list like this could ever be valid was if it was voted.
    Having a few critics go "yeah I love this" is a bit null and void.

However, if it WERE voted, I fear COD may be far too high.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wheres Age of Empires 2?? STARCRAFT isn't on there yet Angry Birds is, and Starcraft is THE competitive computer game... CNN has no idea what they're talking about.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess I should be a little more clear: TIME/CNN did not rank the results. Neither did I. The readers of the article did. So if you're complaining about a game's position on the list, this is not the fault of the writers of the list. This is the fault of the thousands upon thousands of people who voted.

I personally am more interested on what is, and what is not, on the list. Some of you pointed out some really notable missing ones, such as Might and Magic and the Pokemon games. I also agree it feels more like a "most influential" than "greatest" at times, especially with regard to some of the older choices like Pong. In that regard, Pong has every right to be there, but I wouldn't call it a "great" game, just an important one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Wheres Age of Empires 2?? STARCRAFT isn't on there yet Angry Birds is, and Starcraft is THE competitive computer game... CNN has no idea what they're talking about.
    23 StarCraft
    It's on there.

Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    Should Solitaire even be considered a "video game"? It's a card game. The fact that it's been converted to a digital format shouldn't change that.
    Using that logic - no video game is a video game.

Card game, war game, role playing game, strategy game, board game.... no video games in there.

Note to the whingers - the list isn't the list of the BEST video games, it is a list of the GREATEST video games. That is the ones with the greatest impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Descense View Post
    Where is Duke nukem? Where is C&C games? (and no dune doesnt count as C&C)

This list fells bribed!

Also junk games:
    The Oregon Trail, Breakout, Punch-Out!!, Solitaire, Tecmo Bowl, Wii Sports, Desktop Tower Defense, Flower, Hunt the Wumpus (those dont desere too be called games at all)
    How dare you call the Oregon Trail junk! lol. It is one of the best games of all time. Easily. I remember it on Apple computer, such a blast. I guess you had to play it back in the day to appreciate just how great it was.

And as Schwarzkopf said, this is a list of the greatest games of all time, impact wise, not what is your favorite game/s to you. Of course some are suspect, but if you ignore the list of where they're ranked and go down the list of the games, you'll see that many of them did in deed have a huge impact in gaming, especially for there respective genre.
    Last edited by KCguy; 2012-11-16 at 08:14 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't agree with much of this, I dont think its even due to being subjective, its just a poor list all round.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sTyLnK View Post
    How dare you call the Oregon Trail junk! lol. It is one of the best games of all time. Easily. I remember it on Apple computer, such a blast. I guess you had to play it back in the day to appreciate just how great it was.

And as Schwarzkopf said, this is a list of the greatest games of all time, impact wise, not what is your favorite game/s to you. Of course some are suspect, but if you ignore the list of where they're ranked and go down the list of the games, you'll see that many of them did in deed have a huge impact in gaming, especially for there respective genre.
    Yeah I enjoyed it when I was little.

Anyways what does time/cnn(lawl) know about video games? I don't trust cnn with my news, No way in hell I will trust their video game list.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Mass effect better than Starcraft? No way in hell.

I always laugh when any top <insert number> comes out and people jump all over it. Of course it's going to be different than your list. The only way it would be the same is through dumb luck or if you actually wrote the list. Just remember just because you didn't like a game that made the list or really liked a game that didn't make the list doesn't mean other feel the same way.

why is mass effect 3 no10?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    It's on there.
    Woops... I'm getting my new glasses next week...

Still, no age of empires.

There is some really good games on that list, but in my opinon, in the wrong order. There's also some extremely good games not on the list, and some other games I would call less than good on it. Oh well..
    i5 2500K | MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz

Quote Originally Posted by wariofan1 View Post
    Meh, can't take such a list seriously from CNN. CNN never has anything to do with video games anyways.

Also, they are obviously just listing video game franchises because they don't know shit about the actual games in the series. The original Metroid over ANY of the future Metroid games? The original Metroid is the weakest game in the series. Oh wait, Metroid Prime is actually there, but it's on the 76th place, so that's waaaay behind the original Metroid, which Prime undoubtedly and unarguably pummels to death.

The Oregon Trail? A quick google showed it up as an educational game. Now I know quite a lot about video game history, but I've never heard of this one making any kind of impact, especially not compared to Donkey Kong and The Legend of Zelda. Either I just failed on Video Game history, or it's a piss poor attempt to make people play an educational game.

Anyways, not a good list. They don't know anything about the series they're talking about. There are a few exceptions like Diablo II and not just calling it Diablo, but then there's stuff like Mega Man. Could they be any more unspecific? Mega Man has so many fucking games, and the first one of them isn't even the revolutionizing one of them, that'd be Mega Man II. Seems like it's an article made just to gather readers.
    Many people have heard of Oregon Trail. It's really just you.