Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Onorvele View Post
    and people really don't understand that you need to stop DPS when the reactive shield goes up
    Umm, no, you DPS through it. If you do not DPS it down it goes back up 2 seconds after it drops. If you DPS it down, some damage gets through AND you damage it dropping it sooner. It is a scaling mechanic, more people, bigger shield, effectively increasing the bosses HP based on how many people are currently there.

It is not a reflective shield, there is no harm done DPSing during it. It is Reactive, reacting to the number of players in the area. Stopping DPS during the shield just prolongs the fight.

Other than that, I basically agree with you. I am not a huge supporter of them yet, I just do not understand this negativity directed towards what is an enhancement of the old Expert Rift system and provides opportunity to expand and varying levels of challenge. It also affect Raid Rifts which still exist in no way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Having 10 and 20 raids doesn't excuse the lackluster hunt rifts. Also people will do the most boring/grindy stuff if it was a means to an end because, well, this is an MMO after all. The only measure of progression is based on stat gain.

I stand by my assertion: hunt rifts are lame. RR/XRs were better in concept, but sorta forgotten development wise.

Your above quote tells me you've not hit 60 and haven't seen what's in the max level zones yet. See picture below.

It doesn't have to be either/or. RRs/XRs could be made to scale within reason.

I said very clearly I prefer the concept of RRs/Xrs over hunt rifts. The implementation of RRs/Xrs was lacking and could have been improved. But Trion really didn't do a good job at either of those in my opinion.

Actual open world rift raids w/ tactics and strategies is more preferable than mindless, repetitive zergs-a-thons. I fail to see how hunt rifts are anymore progressive than RRs/XRs. And yes I do play MMOs with a role trinity specifically so I can play content designed for an organized group.

Fencers with all due respect all I'm reading is "me me me" like really? Maybe more casual players like this type of stuff or can't or don't want to be in raiding guilds. Have you even considered that the tier IV hunt rifts will substantially more difficult and require an organized group and that entry levels hunt rifts are toned down because well they are entry level? They've added more different things to the game and all you do is complain. There is in fact still raid rifts and here a screen shot too prove it and I've circled it just in case you've missed it. /sarcasm off

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers
    If and when I want mass open world combat without regard to hard role enforcement and cooperation I am likely to play Guild Wars 2 Not Rift.

This made me lolz don't make me start quoting your posts in gw2 on how uninspiring and lack luster PVE is in GW2 lets get real please. I know some people will like GW2 and that's fine but I wouldn't recommended to anyone....yes anyone that joke of an event they had this weekend proves and shows they are long way off putting a large group of people in any sized area with meaningful PVE anytime soon. They may get it right but their not even close at this time.

I don't mind criticizing posts one bit but get all your ducks in row and actually experience all the content (not just leveling content) before handing in a verdict. It's like IGN who review games on 2 days play and haven't touched more the 10% of the game. Credibility is lost. Just saying.
    Last edited by Azuri; 2012-11-19 at 11:48 PM.

doesn't excuse the lackluster hunt rifts
    Have you gotten beyond the first tier? wtb screenshots of achieves if so

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I did 3 of the top tier Great Hunt rifts with approximately 10~ guildies from <Terrible Idea> last night, and I was 55 and one was 59. lol. There's definitely a lot going on, mechanics definitely exist, and I can't wait to read the Q.Q from people who don't want to learn how to play to win.

/got shard first achievement for one of the fire ones.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    /got shard first achievement for one of the fire ones.
    Congrats!

I tried a couple of Hunt rifts myself, and I gotta say they are fun as hell. I'm enjoying the mechanics on some of them, and the overall feel of them. Good stuff so far. Only level 52 though

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    And I againask you done any Great Hunt Rifts to see how they compare to Expert Rifts yet? Great Hunt Rank IV's? Or are you just assuming they are the same as Hunt Rifts.
    I only did the I-VI or whatever. That was enough to sour the idea.

If ranks 20 and 21 are awesome but 1-19 are dull-- that's a crummy system.

You also keep ignoring the fact that there are indeed Raid Rifts and a Daily Raid Rift quest.
    Not ignoring. It's just not relavanet to my point; I enjoy RRs/XRs more as a concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Azuri View Post
    Your above quote tells me you've not hit 60 and haven't seen what's in the max level zones yet.
    I am 60 and I am aware. Not the point I was driving at.

Fencers with all due respect all I'm reading is "me me me" like really?
    Well, yes. Because terms like dull/lame/boring are subjective. So I am giving my personal opinion on hunt rifts and preference for RRs/XRs.

This made me lolz don't make me start quoting your posts in gw2 on how uninspiring and lack luster PVE is in GW2 lets get real please.
    Exactly? If I want a shallow PVE experience that is more of a romp than cooperation thing-- I will play GW2, not Rift.

I don't mind criticizing posts one bit but get all your ducks in row and actually experience all the content (not just leveling content) before handing in a verdict. It's like IGN who review games on 2 days play and haven't touched more the 10% of the game. Credibility is lost. Just saying.
    Again, I am 60. If level 1-99 were dull my opinion isn't going to change because 100 was amazing.

Credibility, untouched.

Deleted
    I like hunt rifts, i personally think its what rifts should have been from the beginning.

I only did the I-VI or whatever. That was enough to sour the idea.

If ranks 20 and 21 are awesome but 1-19 are dull-- that's a crummy system.
    This tells me you have no idea how the system works. What it sounds to me like you did is 5 or 6 of the Hunt Rifts and have not touched Great Hunts at all. There are 5 ranks of Great Hunts, I should be getting into the first rank tonight. It takes doing all 12 or 14 or whatever there are of the Hunt Rifts to get the achievement Rank 1 that allows you to buy the Great Hunt I lures.

The reason I say it sounds like you have not done them is you put a VI(6) when there are only V(5) Ranks of Great Hunts. Each rank has several Lures available though. Then you threw even higher rank numbers out there, up to 21. There are no ranks that high.

It really sounds like you ran 5 or 6 of the regular Hunts, decided you didn't like the system and are just bashing it at every turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Nykolas View Post
    I like hunt rifts, i personally think its what rifts should have been from the beginning.
    Get rid of reactive shield and I would agree. Hunt Rifts are basically portable onslaughts from Ember Isle. There is not some magical theory here. It is onslaughts plain and simple with an annoying ass last boss that is EXTREMELY anti melee friendly.

The sooner I can be done with this crappy version of hunt rifts and progress to the next ones the better. They are tedious and heavily repetitive. The boss having some bullshit ability that allows you to only dps for 2 seconds every 20 seconds seriously does not help the situation.

Edit:
    My chief complaint about normal hunt rifts was just fixed with a happy median in Hotfix 2

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    Get rid of reactive shield and I would agree. Hunt Rifts are basically portable onslaughts from Ember Isle. There is not some magical theory here. It is onslaughts plain and simple with an annoying ass last boss that is EXTREMELY anti melee friendly.

The sooner I can be done with this crappy version of hunt rifts and progress to the next ones the better. They are tedious and heavily repetitive. The boss having some bullshit ability that allows you to only dps for 2 seconds every 20 seconds seriously does not help the situation.

Edit:
    My chief complaint about normal hunt rifts was just fixed with a happy median in Hotfix 2
    I do not understand why people think they are melee unfriendly. Please explain your complaint here.

I do not understand why people think they are melee unfriendly. Please explain your complaint here.
    The debuff when the boss is casting [reactive shield] counts the number of people within 20 meters and uses that number to determine how big the buff is for the next 20 seconds.

The general idea is pretty stupid simple actually. Take the boss tank him in the middle or off to the side and stick everyone 20+ meters away and those hunt rift bosses would melt away like water. The problem is you are forced to be ranged for like 80% of the normal hunt rifts lol

It is some weird anti zerging mechanic, but is extremely anti melee in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    The debuff when the boss is casting [reactive shield] counts the number of people within 20 meters and uses that number to determine how big the buff is for the next 20 seconds.

The general idea is pretty stupid simple actually. Take the boss tank him in the middle or off to the side and stick everyone 20+ meters away and those hunt rift bosses would melt away like water. The problem is you are forced to be ranged for like 80% of the normal hunt rifts lol

It is some weird anti zerging mechanic, but is extremely anti melee in the process.
    Wierd, all the successful Hunt Rift groups I have been in melee just stacked and DPSed. I do not think the range is 20m. I am pretty daarn sure that it is either whoever is participating, or has a much larger radius than 20m. Every successful group I have been in, everyone, melee included, is DPSing the boss, when shield is up. Bass takes some damage through the shield, and the shield melts with everyone DPSing it, giving you more time to DPS in between shields.

On the counter to that, every time I have been in a Hunt Rift group where melee stayed away, or did not DPS, or people stopped DPS during the shield, has failed. Wasting lures because people don't understand mechanics pisses me off.

I've also had a couple fail where we were doing 60 Hunt Rifts, and following the correct strategy, but several 55 and 56 players were in the group only doing 100-900 DPS. They were not dealing enough damage to compensate fir their presence, so the shield was not dropping fast enough and we failed. Removed them, replace them with people doing enough DPS, same strat and it worked.

These stay out of melee and do not DPS during shield strats people are spreading are WRONG. I do not know where people got the idea from. I do not understand why people continue to try them when they fail over and over. I was in a group last night, not using my own lures, where they were trying this improper strat and failed 3-4 in a row. I had tried telling them, but they did not listen at first. Finally, the guy using the lures got pissed(even though he was saying to use that strat) and left. We changed to the correct strat, and beat every one after that.

This tells me you have no idea how the system works. What it sounds to me like you did is 5 or 6 of the Hunt Rifts and have not touched Great Hunts at all. There are 5 ranks of Great Hunts, I should be getting into the first rank tonight. It takes doing all 12 or 14 or whatever there are of the Hunt Rifts to get the achievement Rank 1 that allows you to buy the Great Hunt I lures.
    I didn't buy any lure. I just joined with the others in the guild doing them. So forgive me if I was incorrect on the exact numbering of them. Whatever.

It really sounds like you ran 5 or 6 of the regular Hunts, decided you didn't like the system and are just bashing it at every turn.
    Even if I ran only 1 hunt rift tier 0, finding hunt rifts dull and less preferable to RRs/XRs is valid.

I am not even sure why you are so twisted up on this from my first post on the subject: link.

I don't like hunt rifts as much as RRs/XRs and would have liked for them to be slightly modified from how RRs/XRs originally went out.

Saying, hunt rifts are dull to me is hardly "bashing". The notion I would need to complete every hunt rift before saying, "Yes, I do in fact find this thing boring" is absurd.

I don't like hunt rifts as much as RRs/XRs and would have liked for them to be slightly modified from how RRs/XRs originally went out.

Saying, hunt rifts are dull to me is hardly "bashing". The notion I would need to complete every hunt rift before saying, "Yes, I do in fact find this thing boring" is absurd.
    I disagree.

"I tried Realm of the Fae at level 20. Raiding in Rift is boring." -- That's what you're saying. You can hate leveling dungeons but love their expert counterparts, and/or approve of 10 man raiding up through 20 man. Your complaints are no different than a drive-by troll who tried Rift up through level 5 and then quit.

Tiered content that grows particularly more challenging and based on different group compositions the further up you go is a hell of a lot more interesting than the raid rifts in Classic Rift.

You're entitled to your opinion, but an informed opinion is far more valuable.

Quote Originally Posted by Acquiesce of Telara View Post
    I disagree.

"I tried Realm of the Fae at level 20. Raiding in Rift is boring." -- That's what you're saying.
    No it isn't. That's not even a logical extension. If I said dungeons were dull having done only normal RotF, I would not need to do expert mode to hold that opinion.

That's a logical extension.

Tiered content that grows particularly more challenging and based on different group compositions the further up you go is a hell of a lot more interesting than the raid rifts in Classic Rift.
    More interesting to you. That's your opinion hunt rifts are a more interesting concept. My opinion is hunt rifts are dull. Rank 100 great hunt rifts will not change that opinion.

Slogging through 40 chapters of a book one finds dull isn't good reading because the last chapter is mind blowing.

I played through some hunt rifts. Didn't enjoy them as much as RR/XRs. Whether you appreciate that point of view is of no value to me.

Deleted
    Ive done one Raid Rift so far. It was extremely easy as well.

Blah blah blah talking out of my ass about hunt rifts.
    You've done a few of the basic Hunt Rifts, none of the Great Hunt rifts - your laughable ignorance of anything about them is glaringly obvious, I would have thought that you of all people would reserve your opinion until you actually know what you are talking about. The basics are all pretty much the same, just different named mobs and a few minor mechanical differences. They're not that exciting.

Did a couple Great Hunt I's tonight. First couple phases were yawnsville. Then suddenly it gets serious. What a step up and we're only doing Great Hunt I. Awesome. Can't wait to see later tiers.

Did I mention that there is a pretty cool Story quest chain (with associated rep) to go with these Hunt Rifts?

No it isn't. That's not even a logical extension. If I said dungeons were dull having done only normal RotF, I would not need to do expert mode to hold that opinion.

That's a logical extension.

More interesting to you. That's your opinion hunt rifts are a more interesting concept. My opinion is hunt rifts are dull. Rank 100 great hunt rifts will not change that opinion.

Slogging through 40 chapters of a book one finds dull isn't good reading because the last chapter is mind blowing.

I played through some hunt rifts. Didn't enjoy them as much as RR/XRs. Whether you appreciate that point of view is of no value to me.
    You either don't get it, or simply don't want to. Hunt Rifts start off like Chronicles, they're practically soloable, then rank up to 5 man difficulty. As the ranks increase, they ramp up to expert dungeon difficulty, followed by raid difficulty and requiring some real organization. You don't like the Realm of the Fae Hunt Rifts you've experienced, so you think Infernal Dawn quality Hunt Rifts, by extension, aren't going to be enjoyable.

Hunt Rifts exist as a complete alternative to Chronicles/Dungeons/Experts/Raids. It's a single new form of gameplay that encompasses them all. You have no problem running dungeons and experts for the sake of raiding, why is clearing the first tier of Hunt Rifts so stifling?

On a whim, I was going to reinstall and check this out.. but it appears my password and security questions no longer work. Erm..

Quote Originally Posted by Tarien View Post
    You've done a few of the basic Hunt Rifts, none of the Great Hunt rifts
    Sorry, but no. It is no less than point blank absurdity to claim one needs to complete all content before passing opinion on enjoyment and preference for one mode over the other.

Hunt rifts being back loaded actually worsens my opinion of hunt rifts. No part should be "yanwsville" before being interesting in my point of view.

My stance is very clear: I found hunt rifts boring and prefer RRs/XRs as a gameplay mode.

You either don't get it, or simply don't want to.
    What am I failing to "get" here pray tell?

That some players find hunt rifts enjoyable? Noted and irrelevant to my comments on the hunt rifts boring me.

That hunt rifts scale? Also, noted. Not relevant to my preference for RRs/XRs.

You have no problem running dungeons and experts for the sake of raiding, why is clearing the first tier of Hunt Rifts so stifling?
    Actually, I do.

Have expressed a long standing distaste for extended intermediary content, dailies, filler content, multiple difficulty modes, the very concept of leveling, bimodal gameplay, etc, etc.

If you look through my recent post history this last weekend it would reveal I am consistent in expressing disdain for gameplay that starts off dull [subjective] before getting to the "good part" [subjective redux]. See: My comments on GW2's recent multi-phase event.

I am not going to care about rank 10 if rank 1 was boring me to tears. Ergo: I feel hunt rifts are lame.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-11-21 at 06:32 AM.