Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    15+ Year Old Account
    I don't think I've expected anything like raids at all in GW2. However a bit more flexibility in design is possible even if it's about throwing rocks at house-sized crabs or opening geyes. Anything which encourages more interaction with the world is welcome. This is why I don't really think they did it all wrong in phase 3 today. If they had toned down HPs a bit it might have felt less like chasing corehounds in MC during first days of raiding. But then it might have lasted shorter so yes, what they can do in the world is really limited when there constraints. My main gripe is simply their lack of quality control and lack of foresight in parts which result in poor execution and delivery. I may not be a fan of this shrimp theme - must be some mild form of ostraconophobia - but in terms of art there is little to complain. It's just their technical and gameplay side which is out of sync with their art.
    Last edited by Ravenblade; 2012-11-19 at 01:00 AM.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

Deleted
    I was at the beginning of the one-time event, but stuff immediately started lagging like hell on my end so I was just like "nah"

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Heh. Forgot it even ended today. Busy with other stuff in any case. Though I did read much of the same on the forums and reddit.

Can't say I am surprised. But also I do find it odd that people would expect anything better. Because it's really not even possible in Guild Wars 2-- all open world stuff has to be this simplistic/mindless.

I remember a long time ago, when a plucky young Fencers started to read the MMO Champ subforums. Back then there was a massive thread which asked the question of "endgame" and "raiding" in the open world. Specifically framing the question in relation to the potential these massive DEs offered a "new" type of raiding or replacement.

My response was in so many words; "DEs can never service raiders or hardcore PVE enthusiasts because by their nature DEs/open world bosses must be inclusive. And exclusivity is the actual design hook of raiding."

To which Odeezee, Mif and others proceeded to yell at me for 20 or so pages. Despite being thoroughly and totally incorrect in every one of their posts. A few months later, "OMG LEVEL 15 RAID BOSS SHADOW BEHEMOTH EPIC VIDZ" surfaced. I lol'd.

I don't begrudge Anet for these events. Though folks should have really tempered expectations based on what I am reading around the web. Exactly as I suggested over a year ago.

Feels good, this feel. I relish it.
    Dynamic events could replace raiding. However the amount of players you end up with just make the encounters awful.

There needs to be a player limit, then forced into overflow and have multiple overflows basically. And Idk who created the "timer" but it needs to go.

I do very much enjoy the volcanoe dynamic event. I think there was just 15 of us for almost the entire thing from start to finish. Towards the end when the final boss came up a bunch of people came but was still fun.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Dynamic events could replace raiding.
    With the current mob mechanics and rendering issues with tons of things together? Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

My response was in so many words; "DEs can never service raiders or hardcore PVE enthusiasts because by their nature DEs/open world bosses must be inclusive. And exclusivity is the actual design hook of raiding."

To which Odeezee, Mif and others proceeded to yell at me for 20 or so pages. Despite being thoroughly and totally incorrect in every one of their posts. A few months later, "OMG LEVEL 15 RAID BOSS SHADOW BEHEMOTH EPIC VIDZ" surfaced. I lol'd.

I don't begrudge Anet for these events. Though folks should have really tempered expectations based on what I am reading around the web. Exactly as I suggested over a year ago.
    I think this event was a good indicator of how the events different from a raid, really. There's no enrage timer, so you can take forever to do anything. There are mechanics to the "boss fights", but it's okay, go ahead and ignore them and when you die someone else can rez you. Too many players giving lag to make it hard to judge when to dodge is easily countered by getting an error of "too many rezzers". Doing things "correctly" should represent a clear DPS increase and the boss dying quicker, but who will ever know when the zerg works just fine. So much armor damage that you're basically naked and contributing hardly anything to damage? No worries, it'll just take longer.

Dynamic events could replace raiding.
    Not really, no. The appeal of raiding isn't in standing in a zerg w/ any Sally Standsinfire able to run up to the event too.

Can DEs be fun? Sure.

Can they serve the same gameplay & social functions as raids? Not in GW2.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really, no. The appeal of raiding isn't in standing in a zerg w/ any Sally Standsinfire able to run up to the event too.

Can DEs be fun? Sure.

Can they serve the same gameplay & social functions as raids? Not in GW2.
    Actually, if you don't enjoy having to meet up at XXX time on YYY day, so sit around for an hour waiting for people to log on, and then raiding maybe for an hour or two to maybe or maybe not down one boss or two- then DE's in GW2 are for you.

If you do enjoy all that, then good luck with that.

@the OP:

You pretty much just described every event or expansion in WoW's history. Especially before Cataclysm.

So please, just hush. ArenaNet did GREAT for a 3 day event with their first (non-sub) MMO.
    Last edited by Blufossa; 2012-11-19 at 06:44 PM.

There is nothing to do on suncove island.

wtf...

You think when they added a new lvl 80 zone it would have dynamic events after the stupid one time event. There is no reason to go back here except the rich orchi vein there is nothing happening.

What bull shit

I love the one time events. I didn't have time really to play this weekend but I'm not really bothered by that. I really hope they continue with the one time events with the addition of adding lasting content like the island. Now hopefully in the future they adjust certain things like capping the amount of people in the server so that there isn't such an issue with lag. Ravious made a good point on this on his blog http://www.killtenrats.com/2012/11/1...-rocky-shores/

Quote Originally Posted by Grugmuc View Post
    Actually, if you don't enjoy having to meet up at XXX time on YYY day, so sit around for an hour waiting for people to log on, and then raiding maybe for an hour or two to maybe or maybe not down one boss or two- then DE's in GW2 are for you.

I love one time events like this in GW2. I only forgot about the last phase because it was so forgettable the 2 days prior. Though I am in favor of more one time events in MMOs. Like the old FF11/UO/EQ days.

I love scheduled raiding too. We haven't had to cancel a raid in like... a year. And I think it was because one guy was in the hospital, iirc. In fact I am sure of it because he told us about his car accident like 4 days later. XD

These are execution problems on behalf of GW2.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grugmuc View Post

@the OP:

You pretty much just described every event or expansion in WoW's history. Especially before Cataclysm.

So please, just hush. ArenaNet did GREAT for a 3 day event with their first (non-sub) MMO.
    Pretty sure the original GW was made by ArenaNet, but correct me if im wrong.

Well the event was unplayable on friend, and tbh I didn't come back. Kind of disappointed I missed the event though tbh, but also they should have fixed these lag issues, I understand some, but it was pretty much all night on my server.

There is nothing to do on suncove island.

wtf...

You think when they added a new lvl 80 zone it would have dynamic events after the stupid one time event. There is no reason to go back here except the rich orchi vein there is nothing happening.

What bull shit
    Doesn't make a lot of sense that they just left the same "claim the island" events running. I was thinking the asura gate that was being built would signal that more was to come, but if so it's not today.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    So ArenaNet hosts an event, tells everyone to show up or they miss it entirely. The fact that you can't control your character due to how poorly organized the event is, still deserves praise for ArenaNet (all they did was tell people where/when to show up)? And if someone feels that this was done poorly, the response is "Leave?"

People like you are what's really wrong with this community. Worse than the fucking haters, I swear...
    People like you are what's wrong with this community. Worse than the fucking trolls, I swear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquephyre View Post
    [Argue the point, not the user. This post has been infracted. --Kel]

---------- Post added 2012-11-21 at 03:03 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Liquephyre View Post
    [Argue the point, not the user. This post has been infracted. --Kel]

GG. I knew from your tone in the previous quoted post you had no right, nor could act responsibly, as moderator. If you couldn't tell its your last line that was completely out of place. Infract me for not arguing the point while you barely acknowledged my point and made it personal. I expressed how I feel on the subject without being personal to anyone. Regardless of whether or not you agree with me gives no justification for your slander. Infract me; someone should review your status as Mod, maybe send you back for some additional training, imho. Seeing as I was arguing my point using your words. To reiterate that point since you couldn't understand it the first time; You are what's wrong with this community if this is the way you choose to behave in your position.

The point I'm wanting to make is that it would've been amazing if there wasn't server lag during the initial event. In fact, anyone who assumed there wouldn't be server lag has obviously never been to a gathering of this size in an MMO before. Additionally its easy to criticize ANet for this instability without acknowledging how well they improved on such a scenario. Having over-flow servers, for example, is well above and beyond what others in the genre have done regardless if those still weren't capable of managing the load. Imagine the event with no overflow... They had a substantial percentage (I'm guessing 90-95% of those online at the time) were there wanting to get into the action. Find me an MMO with servers capable of handling such a load and I'll show you a poster child on how to improve servers.
    Last edited by Liquephyre; 2012-11-21 at 11:02 PM.
    Grammar- It's the difference between knowing your shit & knowing you're shit.