Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Good read. All about raising awareness on mental health.
    I like sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    So, you want women to act like men instead of acting like they want? Okay.
    Not that I think women should be shoehorned into any role, but men are expected to act like "men" instead of how they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight Gil View Post
    It's not just a saying. It's a mindset so deeply ingrained in today's society that you can't really criticize it without being called a "pussy", a "beta", a "faggot", or something stupid like that.

I like this way of thinking
    It's a sad mindset yes, but it is there for a reason.

It is a proven fact that men and women literally think differently, women have a much larger bridge connecting the two sides of the brain than men, allowing for better reception, and better understanding on both sides.

What does that mean? It means women are more in touch with their emotions, and more in touch with themselves in general. Some men literally cannot even grasp that concept of displaying deeper emotions, because of a chemical and physiological predisposition.

Men throughout time have always been seen as the protector and provider, while women are seen as nurturers (yes, I know, how Freudian of me), but you cannot excuse historical facts.

Want to know why Matriarchal societies to this day are unusual, and are heavily focused upon? Because they NEVER happen to exist among the myriad of patriarchal ones, so studying them is a lot more important.

The whole IDEA of "Man-up" is a sad one in some aspects, but in others it's a necessity. Did you know that women unconsciously feel LESS attracted to a man displaying their emotions (i.e. a woman-heavy trait?) Primitively, woman on a deeper level see them as an unfitting mate, no matter how much they tell you they want a "Man willing to express his feelings more." What they mean at the end of the day is that they'd like for you to open up on occasion, but if you start to have more whine fests than them, it becomes a problem, the want a MAN in the end. It's the same idea as a man wanting a woman who can maybe play some catch with them, sit with them and enjoy video games/sports/whatever, but once you start "beating" them at their own game, that's where the line is drawn.

I don't care how much any of you try and fight it, it is in our nature to want the most basic ideals from the opposite sex (same-sex relationships is another topic entirely).

Quote Originally Posted by Stormtrooperz View Post

It is a proven fact that men and women literally think differently, women have a much larger bridge connecting the two sides of the brain than men, allowing for better reception, and better understanding on both sides.

What does that mean? It means women are more in touch with their emotions, and more in touch with themselves in general. Some men literally cannot even grasp that concept of displaying deeper emotions, because of a chemical and physiological predisposition.

Men throughout time have always been seen as the protector and provider, while women are seen as nurturers (yes, I know, how Freudian of me), but you cannot excuse historical facts.

Want to know why Matriarchal societies to this day are unusual, and are heavily focused upon? Because they NEVER happen to exist among the myriad of patriarchal ones, so studying them is a lot more important.

The whole IDEA of "Man-up" is a sad one in some aspects, but in others it's a necessity. Did you know that women unconsciously feel LESS attracted to a man displaying their emotions (i.e. a woman-heavy trait?) Primitively, woman on a deeper level see them as an unfitting mate, no matter how much they tell you they want a "Man willing to express his feelings more." What they mean at the end of the day is that they'd like for you to open up on occasion, but if you start to have more whine fests than them, it becomes a problem, the want a MAN in the end. It's the same idea as a man wanting a woman who can maybe play some catch with them, sit with them and enjoy video games/sports/whatever, but once you start "beating" them at their own game, that's where the line is drawn.

I don't care how much any of you try and fight it, it is in our nature to want the most basic ideals from the opposite sex (same-sex relationships is another topic entirely).
    Yeah, no, this is completely silly.

First of all, since your entire post is based around the assumption that suppressing emotions is somehow natural for man, I'm just going to show you this

http://www.cracked.com/article_19780...-opposite.html

number 4. Yes, it's cracked, but they get their shit from other sources.

And no, that whole "women are naturally in touch with their feelings and men aren't" or "men are providers and women are nurturers" is a load of stupid false stereotypes. If men aren't in touch with their feelings, it's because society taught them to suppress them. And those roles aren't really true. Men and women have both been providers and nurturers back in ancient times, and even if they were, that logic makes absolutely no sense nowadays.

Last, it doesn't really matter if women feel more or less attraction to men who express their feelings. Maybe it's time for men to get some self-respect and do whatever the fuck they need to do instead of feeling like it's them who are under judgement all the time by women, as if they had anything to prove. When you feel like you have to cry, you should cry. When you feel you have to laugh, you should laugh. And if a women stops liking you once you do that, then she isn't worth your time in the first place. Get.Some.Fucking.Self.Respect.You.Men.

im pretty sure no one likes excessive whining.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormtrooperz View Post

Actually, the whole idea that men and women's brains are THAT different (As far as I know, the only true differences are in weight and the Corpus Callosum) has yet to be proven (or if it has, I certainly haven't seen the research). If there's a significant biological difference I'd be surprised.

Developmentally is another story entirely. If you teach kids to shut their emotions away, that part of their brain won't develop. That's why I think American men are raised from birth to be high-functioning psychopaths.

As for it being "nature", this is a pretty recent phenomenon, truthfully.

- Crying used to be the pinnacle of manliness

- The division of labor between men and women was shared more equally in history BEFORE the Industrial Revolution than it is even today.

Once upon a time, crying used to be a symbol that you actually gave a fuck when something happened like "we won the war!" or "my family died".

Once upon a time, men were considered as nurturing as women because it made the most sense in a world where we couldn't just go to the grocery store and slide a card to get food. You did whatever you had to to survive. The whole "men don't cry and women are the caregivers" thing isn't even 200 years old.
    Last edited by Laize; 2012-11-16 at 10:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    im pretty sure no one likes excessive whining.
    Equating depression with excessive whining...? Seriously...?

Some people...wow...just wow...

Equating depression with excessive whining...? Seriously...?

Some people...wow...just wow...
    was referring to this:

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe it's time for men to get some self-respect and do whatever the fuck they need to do instead of feeling like it's them who are under judgement all the time as if they had anything to prove.
    I agree with this, though I took out the part regarding women. I harbor no resentment towards the opposite sex and don't feel pressured by them to be something I'm not. I think men who can't express their emotions are absolute pussies. You know who else can't use their words? Children. I think it's less "man up" and more "grow up".

Edit: "Absolute pussy" is a little over the top. I was trying to express how strongly I felt, but that wording might be more antagonistic than I intended.
    Last edited by Letmesleep; 2012-11-17 at 04:22 AM.

I think the reason depression is much more common in women is because due to their hormones they naturally suffer from higher levels of anxiety.

A side effect to that is that they tend to Vent that frustration much more frequently than men who are taught to hold it in, which is good because the most effective way for a man to vent and blow off some steam is with his fists and that has severe repercussions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Last, it doesn't really matter if women feel more or less attraction to men who express their feelings. Maybe it's time for men to get some self-respect and do whatever the fuck they need to do instead of feeling like it's them who are under judgement all the time by women, as if they had anything to prove. When you feel like you have to cry, you should cry. When you feel you have to laugh, you should laugh. And if a women stops liking you once you do that, then she isn't worth your time in the first place. Get.Some.Fucking.Self.Respect.You.Men.
    Yeah, no, you can't talk genetics out of men, as well as the fact men are simply shaped by culture and raising into what they are. Also, you're completely ignoring the existence of the subconscious. If someone actually saw a man crying in public, he'd be ostracized by everyone. How does something like that, for example, factor into your solution of "getting some self respect"? It's the fucking society and culture that's the problem, not men.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    Yeah, no, you can't talk genetics out of men, as well as the fact men are simply shaped by culture and raising into what they are. Also, you're completely ignoring the existence of the subconscious. If someone actually saw a man crying in public, he'd be ostracized by everyone. How does something like that, for example, factor into your solution of "getting some self respect"? It's the fucking society and culture that's the problem, not men.
    Exactly. The problem is in society and culture. That's why men should get some self-respect and express their feelings if they feel like doing so instead of trying to adapt to a destructive, sexist society.

And the "genetics" talk again? A couple of links have been posted proving that until a not so distant time ago, crying was a symbol of "manliness", because it showed that you care. Genetics are the same. It was culture that changed.

I'll agree with those that say it's less likely for a man to find support for depression than a woman, causing the man to suppress it, or otherwise keep it from being noticed. I think perhaps there's a societal expectation for a man to "be a man about it", so to speak, whereas, for some reason, it's much more acceptable for a woman to be open about feeling depressed, which, very often, for some reason, people associate with weakness.

I don't consider it a weakness any more than I would consider a broken bone a weakness. It is in the strictest sense of the word, but it really takes a strong person to endure such an affliction. This is obviously just an analogy, and probably a poor one
    Last edited by Dacien; 2012-11-17 at 01:17 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    Ignoring the genetics part which isn't true, it's up to the individual to decide whether they are going to conform to social norms or rise above them. I don't think anyone, man or woman, wants to be seen crying in public due to the personal nature of pain. Everyone wants some level of privacy in regards to their suffering, and that's ok. However, being able to discuss your thoughts and feelings is essential to emotional health, and the longer people are afraid to do so the longer the stereotype that you're not supposed to will exist. Nothing in society changes unless someone decides to be strong enough to rise above what we're told we're supposed to be. Yes, I think it's a decision to be strong. Courage is not the absence of fear, it's doing what you should or must despite the fear. I'm not going to bow down and let society dictate what I can say, feel, or think and neither should you. It's not weak to be real, it's weak not to be. If people choose not to accept you, well screw them.
    Last edited by Letmesleep; 2012-11-17 at 02:43 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I often feel so depressed I feel like my life is at an all time low.

I go through the day in a bad mood, slump it out, eat healthy, try to stay active for 10+ minutes that day, then within the next couple of days, I feel better than ever, with more confidence than ever.

The worst thing that can possibly happen is when I dwell on thoughts for TOO long. I normally dwell on EVERY thought that passes through my mind, and I think extensive thoughts from that thought topic that I feel normal people shouldn't be thinking. It's frightening that I'm afraid of some of my own knowledge, because I fear of thinking thoughts such as my mother's death in the future and how I will cope, my death in the future, my loneliness in the future if I don't find a partner, my unsuccessfulness in the future(even though I come from a semi-wealthy family that has provided me with everything I have wanted and I know I will be successful), etc.(normal anxiety causing thoughts that, as humans, we have trained our minds to repress and to avoid thinking of).

If any of you feel any similar feelings that I feel, I want to let you know some things that are MAJORLY important to increasing the quality of my life:
    -Try to eat healthy when depressed (fruits such as apples, bananas,...).
    -Try to stay active with a high heart rate for about 5-10 minutes in a single given day.
    -Think EXTERNALLY, not internally. This last one troubles me and I struggle with it every day. I'm, naturally, an individual that looks inward at myself and analyzes who I really am. Perhaps its caused from the four times I've taken shrooms in the past 5 months, or the marijuana I've smoked for the past 11 months, but thinking externally (thinking about what I'm seeing out in the world in front of my eyes) prevents depression from sinking in for me.

Also, I normally do not tell most people things like what I have typed here, because I have a feeling most people won't be able to relate to what I have to say and they just won't get it. So, for me, typing my feelings and helping out anyone else with similar problems is a way for me to have an outlet for my thoughts and emotions (Which is extremely healthy to have and helps relieve anxiety, stress, and depression ^_^)
    Last edited by Whisperawr; 2012-11-17 at 03:00 AM.