Weird Issue: Check Signal Cable

Hey all

So I decided to download and try the game(free version). When it finally finished installing and I clicked play I got a black screen that said "check signal cable", I have had that before when I tried to switch BF3 to 120hz, found out it was because I didn't have the proper cable for my 120hz monitor to actually run at that speed lol. (Have reg dvi cable instead of dual dvi, samsung syncmaster 3D 2233 monitor)

But that's not the weird part, after I had the check cable message pop up I tried to alt-tab out, nothing. Tried alt-f4 to see if the game would close, nothing. So I hit restart on the comp and booted back up, BUT after I got passed the windows logo I got "Check signal cable" yet again.... I had to do a system restore in order to get my rig to boot properly again. All that was removed from the restore was SW TOR and everything booted fine again.

So after I got it up and running I made sure to check my video card. Its a HD 6870 and everything seemed fine. Temps in and out of games using HWMonitor (tried Borderlands 2 just to be safe) were normal, my driver is at 12.10, which is the latest etc.

I am running Windows 8 Pro also.

Anyone have any ideas what could have caused this? Could SW:TOR been set to 120hz by default? How would that have caused issues with Win 8 like it did?

Also to add. The beta for this game worked great on my rig, had no issue like this.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcomo View Post
    I am running Windows 8 Pro also.
    This is your problem right here. I'm not being serious, but Windows 8 eek.

Try this old thread where it talks about getting a black screen while playing, it might have some potentially related issues with what you describe:
    http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...php?t=498597#4

If adjusting the .ini file like they describe doesn't fix your problem, then it might be something you will need to address with their support.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post

Try this old thread where it talks about getting a black screen while playing, it might have some potentially related issues with what you describe:

If adjusting the .ini file like they describe doesn't fix your problem, then it might be something you will need to address with their support.
    Windows 8 is awesome. Much better than 7 could have hoped to be. But this isn't a "whos os is better" topic so we shall leave it there lol!

Anyways, I checked that out after I restored my comp. Couldn't do any of those steps anyways when the game was installed as I had a black screen with "Check Signal Cable" even after rebooting windows. Would have adjusted everything if I could have. Thanks though

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post

Windows 8 is easily the best OS on the market, the only complaint really is the new start "menu" system and that's very similar to the original 95 start menu complaints.

I'd say it is the cable that caused your initial problem as the same thing happened to me. Not sure why you had a cascade of problems but getting a new cable should clear everything up.

Quote Originally Posted by gabrield View Post
    Windows 8 is easily the best OS on the market, the only complaint really is the new start "menu" system and that's very similar to the original 95 start menu complaints.

I'd say it is the cable that caused your initial problem as the same thing happened to me. Not sure why you had a cascade of problems but getting a new cable should clear everything up.
    Awesome, ordered one right away. Figured it must have been something along those lines. I don't get why a 120hz monitor wouldn't come standard with a dual dvi cable to begin with. Thanks for the help!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcomo View Post
    Awesome, ordered one right away. Figured it must have been something along those lines. I don't get why a 120hz monitor wouldn't come standard with a dual dvi cable to begin with. Thanks for the help!
    Probably because not everyone needs 120 HZ and the cable costs more than a standard cable so to keep the monitor cost down, they dont give you one. I know you might ask why get a 120HZ monitor if you dont need 120 HZ, but some people may not even know what it is or the 120HZ may have a better picture due to having a better quality panel even when not in 120 HZ mode, much like 3D TVs typically have a better picture in 2D mode than standard TVs
    Last edited by Orlong; 2012-11-18 at 02:20 AM.