Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Amanda Todd Response Video

So, for those of you who heard, this girl Amanda Todd was bullied and then killed herself. Some care, others don't. Me? I'm indifferent. But that's unimportant at the moment. What is "important" is that my art teacher, Michael Bell (his website for anyone who's interested) decided to make a painting and video for Amanda's mother.

There is the video, showing more or less just a work in progress of the said painting. This is just me trying to get the word out, nothing more.

Deleted
    I can't help but think that's a little creepy. Did he even know the girl? Did he even know her mother?

It seems like some awful, sickening display of group hand-wringing, almost emotional masturbation. "Look how deep we are, look how much we care". Yeah. Just creepy.

Quote Originally Posted by tommypilgrim View Post
    I can't help but think that's a little creepy. Did he even know the girl? Did he even know her mother?

It seems like some awful, sickening display of group hand-wringing, almost emotional masturbation. "Look how deep we are, look how much we care". Yeah. Just creepy.
    My teacher knows the mother. I personally dont know the girl or mother or anything, but my teacher knows the mother.

Deleted
    I have to agree, it's kinda weird but if he knows the mother it makes it slightly less weird. Still kinda weird though : |

publicizing the incident was one thing. there was something that society could learn from and improve upon, to see consequences for particular actions. this kind of thing is just glorifying suicide imo

15+ Year Old Account
    Someone does something nice for someone else? "OMG CREEP"
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    publicizing the incident was one thing. there was something that society could learn from and improve upon, to see consequences for particular actions. this kind of thing is just glorifying suicide imo
    It was a gift for the mother to show that despite the fact that amanda felt alone, she wasn't.

No offense, but the painting makes her look like one of The Chipettes.

Quote Originally Posted by Theklocko View Post
    It was a gift for the mother to show that despite the fact that amanda felt alone, she wasn't.
    we all set the line for ourselves. for me this was on the wrong side of my line. i wont say that the intent wasnt noble, it was.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleros View Post
    Someone does something nice for someone else? "OMG CREEP"
    Yeah, kind of sad. Although I personally would do this completely privately, there's no doubting this guy's heart is in the right place.

Quote Originally Posted by Rehl View Post
    Good video.

Probably meant well in the gesture, but canonizing suicides just rubs me the wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    we all set the line for ourselves. for me this was on the wrong side of my line. i wont say that the intent wasnt noble, it was.
    Very well then. Honestly, I'm indifferent about everything to do with amanda todd, but I have no need to go into my views of life right now. All I did was make the thread to get the word out about the painting, nothing more.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think this is more what Tommy Pilgrim was saying, that it seems more like a display of group hand-wringing. The fact is Amanda DID feel alone, and something like this doesn't bring her back or make her feel any better. All this does is numb some of the guilt experienced by those around her for not doing a better job of making her feel valuable. It's not done for Amanda's benefit, it's done for the benefit of those she knew. If they had wanted to make a difference, they should have done so before she committed suicide. Some people will see this and think it's positive, but I can also see how some people will see this and think "how self indulgent". If people can feel sadness that she's gone, people can also be angry with those around her for being partially to blame.

I'm not saying suicide is always someone else's fault, it's not, but in this case Amanda Todd seemed to lack good support. Some people are rightfully angry about that.
    Last edited by Letmesleep; 2012-11-16 at 11:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Letmesleep View Post
    I think this is more what Tommy Pilgrim was saying, that it seems more like a display of group hand-wringing. The fact is Amanda DID feel alone, and something like this doesn't bring her back or make her feel any better. All this does is numb some of the guilt experienced by those around her for not doing a better job of making her feel valuable. It's not done for Amanda's benefit, it's done for the benefit of those she knew. If they had wanted to make a difference, they should have done so before she committed suicide. Some people will see this and think it's positive, but I can also see how some people will see this and think "how self indulgent". If people can feel sadness that she's gone, people can also be angry with those around her for being partially to blame.

I'm not saying suicide is always someone else's fault, it's not, but in this case Amanda Todd seemed to lack good moral support. Some people are rightfully angry about that.
    Yeah I see what you mean. She felt alone and depressed and everything to the point where it led to suicide, and she did lack good moral support. Something like this couldn't possibly bring her back, but it'd be something if it did. I'm not 100% sure what my teacher's intent for the painting was, I'm pretty sure I was close when I said "to show others that she wasn't alone", but unfortunately by the time this picture was even beginning in thought, she was gone, so the purpose of showing people that she wasn't "alone" is kind of dimmed since the person who needed it the most can't see it.

And if people wish to be angry about this, then go for it. I'm not gonna stop them, no reason to. I'm indifferent about the whole situation, only reason I made the thread in the first place is because I respect my art teacher and giving him a little support in getting word out is never a bad thing (i guess).

I'm sorry, but all coverage and all videos on these people need to just be taken down and stopped.

What does this say to some other person who is in perhaps a slightly lesser situation? "Well hey look at this girl, everyone is talking about her, she has videos being made about her, she has a guy making a nice mural in memory of her for her mother... I guess killing myself won't be such a bad idea."

Secondly, this is why parents need to.... PARENT. 15 year olds and under don't need a facebook. They don't need an iPhone 5. You can let them on the internet, but SUPERVISED. Doesn't "To Catch a Predator" show damn well enough what type of people are on the internet looking for your little sons and daughters? I mean damn these guys are excited to be talking to a 13 year old(not a real one but they think it is) and hop on over even when they think it might be a cop.

You want to help her memory? Make parents aware that their children need to be doing things a child should be doing not flashing their boobs on webcam for some guy to haunt them later. Her mom doesn't need to be consoled. Her mom needs to be condemned for not raising a child properly. Is it the child's fault? No. It's the parents' fault. Get your kids off facebook, off the internet unsupervised, get them cell phones that can only call direct family(easily purchased), and get them involved in school functions or hell even church functions(I'm not religious but I'd sooner have a child working with the church groups than on facebook). Then when the parents think their child is mature enough to handle themselves a little better they can ease up, but this does not need to happen before 16.

The point is, the more you sit and put these girls in the limelight, the more girls will do it. Bullying has always existed. Bullying happens to adults. It will not go away. In the real adult world bullying is the way things work. If they can't handle something like a mistake coming back to haunt them, they need a better parent and role model.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I see what you mean. She felt alone and depressed and everything to the point where it led to suicide, and she did lack good moral support. Something like this couldn't possibly bring her back, but it'd be something if it did. I'm not 100% sure what my teacher's intent for the painting was, I'm pretty sure I was close when I said "to show others that she wasn't alone", but unfortunately by the time this picture was even beginning in thought, she was gone, so the purpose of showing people that she wasn't "alone" is kind of dimmed since the person who needed it the most can't see it.

And if people wish to be angry about this, then go for it. I'm not gonna stop them, no reason to. I'm indifferent about the whole situation, only reason I made the thread in the first place is because I respect my art teacher and giving him a little support in getting word out is never a bad thing (i guess).
    It's fine, I'm not pissed about it or anything. I'm not advocating that you or anyone else go up to him or her mother saying "you're just feeling guilty". She's gone now, and I think her family has a right to grieve in whatever way helps them. It's only because we're on an Internet forum and because we're not personally involved that we have the freedom to say what we really think about it. I was just discussing the different points of view If I knew them or think they would ever see this I'd keep my opinion to myself.

@purebalance: While I agree with a lot of your points, harassing the mother isn't going to do any good. She's already paid the price of losing her daughter; I don't think anyone needs to cause more harm than that.
    Last edited by Letmesleep; 2012-11-16 at 11:56 PM.