Thread: Frost Mage

Frost Mage

How to deal with them ?

Deleted
    right now i feel it is alot easier to beat frost mages than it was in cata. heroic leap has a very short cd now, you could either spec warbringer to force their blink and have a shockwave ready for when you heroic leap. or you can just spec double time and just wait for their blink to come and surprise them with another charge and shockwave them and wreck shit up.

Deleted
    Charge
    Charge again
    Pop cds and one shot

10+ Year Old Account
    Frost Mages have always countered warriors. I'd say we're currently the strongest we've been against them since WOTLK with Unrelenting Assault and OP Bladestorm. 1v1 good mages will still probably win but team play is different and there's still a lot you can do 1v1 right now. Although in the upcoming patch you might as well forget about ever beating one 1v1 again. I haven't played at 90 but it's always been the same thing with mages. Reflect at the end of casts, preferably shatters and frost bombs, don't trinket anything but deep freeze, the average everyday mage will usually deep after a pet nova so just anticipate it and reflect it which will probably cause him to blink or trinket it, lol. Basically in the current game, get him to blink, close the gap, pop Reck, Avatar, on use trinket and Skull Banner and blow him up. He'll ice block right away so just anticipate it and shattering throw. If you get stuck in nova, drop a banner and safeguard it to break nova. Use Shockwave, pummel and heroic throw blanket silence with the gag order glyph. Stack Taste for Blood on/Kill pet if it's near you and you can't close the gap on the mage, use fear as you see fit (on images, to bandage, force trinket, etc. (1v1) You can leap out of ring. If he's low on health and casting Polymorph, don't reflect it unless you can break it right away or he'll get all his health back. I'm going all on memory since I don't play currently and I'm still 85 but you get the idea, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ogFrenikk View Post
    Charge
    Charge again
    Pop cds and one shot
    If only it would work like that. Good mage won't blink after you charge in, he will root you. After that if you charge/leap in and pop cd's and use shockwave, he will blink. After that leap Mage will use iceblock when he sees you do that, and you will spend at least extra 1,5s casting shattering throw if you still have rage for it - probably get interrupted/stunned by his partner once when you try to cast it because of long cast time.

Deep freeze probably follows because you have avatar and cannot be rooted/slowed - and if you get it dispelled by healer/trinket it he will place ring of frost under him so you can't fight him at melee range, unless you save your trinket or have that dispell to so you can be standing inside the ring.
    And when the scenario is 2v2 you just have used everything to get on mage's melee range and you will see his partner or the mage to just cc you (with poly or smth) you when your partner has dispell on cooldown and you don't have anything to break it. Sure you can try to interrupt/silence that one cc but I can't imagine we can even get close to mage after 5.1 without gag order or root immunity to be honest...

Basically good mage got everything to counter what you have. It's all about how good he is. And after avatar drops it's rootfest all over again. Spellreflect should be invisible buff so that it wouldn't be so easy to counter with insta casts or wasting interrupts (since 0 damage ablities break it too so).

Cooldowns pass, because on good gear you really need that full 12s recklessness with colossus smash to kill someone, so you didn't kill him and you lose because mage can cc kill you/your healer easily before that 5min mark happens again. Unless you pull that 5 stacks from your ass, get in melee range and get a lucky crit streak in.
    Last edited by Kankipappa; 2012-11-26 at 12:46 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ogFrenikk View Post
    Charge
    Charge again
    Pop cds and one shot
    I heard mages had ice block.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    The universe has so many galaxies that even the fucking plot to star wars has a statistical chance to have existed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarhym
    Ghostcrawler called me up last night and he was all like, "hi." And I was like "I'm...

good mage > good warrior, has been like that since s1. We had a good chance in tbc vs them with mace stun and all... Had a somewhat okay chance in wotlk, but not really.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnkie View Post
    good mage > good warrior, has been like that since s1. We had a good chance in tbc vs them with mace stun and all... Had a somewhat okay chance in wotlk, but not really.
    The good old days of reflecting a POM pyro with arcane power and trinket going...or eating one and dying, lol.
    Ryzen 9 5900X/Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600 CL16/AORUS 1080 Ti Xtreme/Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi/Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240/Optane 900p 3D XPoint/EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2/Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL/Steelcase Leap/BenQ XL2411Z/Philips Fidelio X2HR/Noppoo Choc Mini (RIP Reckful)/Razer Viper Ultimate/QcK Heavy