Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Re-creating WoW with realistic Computer Graphics - questions

Hey guys,

My name is Elod Horvath, I am a 3D Environment Artist. I opened this thread to get a little bit of help regarding a decision I am trying to make.
    My aim is to create several, very high quality CG shots of a city in WoW, but I can`t really make up my mind which city to choose.
    The decision is mostly between Stormwind and Silvermoon, but Dalaran is on my mind as well.
    My aim is to create something that is very rich in color, mood, lighting, so it's not just creating fancy shapes, but to make everything look very cinematic. So, the focus is on color, lighting, textures and good forms (models).
    Silvermoon seems to be very rich in color and looks very artistic as well, due to the dominating, red,orange, yellow + soft white colors. It also has vegetation within the city so that's good for contrast.

If you have any good suggestions, ideas, it would be very much appreciated.

Here is some of my work so you have a better idea of what I`m doing. Thanks!

Deleted
    Good work so far, GRATZ! But if Silvermmon is ur choice b aware of all the details! I also desired for a long time now to see undercity in the environment u presented so here's a suggestion =).
    Last edited by mmoc4874008d12; 2012-11-17 at 01:34 PM.

These look pretty awesome. And honestly, I would rather see Stormwind than Silvermoon. But maybe in time you could do both? Your first pic gave me the vibe of old school Brill and Tarren Mill, before the cataclysm model update for both towns.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh my God! It would be a dream come true ... if I ever win the lottery, and could get my hands on the rights of the Warcraft franchise, I'd hire you as the leading graphic developer and we would start the journey towards the wow2 ...

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wow those look awesome! I say SW or Darkshire.
    Case: Thermaltake A60
    MB: ASRock Z68 Ext3 Gen3
    CPU: i5 2500k, Windows 8.1 64 Bit
    GPU: HIS 6870 1gb
    PSU: Corsair GS 600
    SSD: Crucial M4 128g

Karazhan external and Stormwind would be my top wishes...

Hey donQShot and Pachycrocuta,

Thanks for the replies. Regarding UC: the problem here is that it is mostly interior, dark atmosphere and I`m kind of going for more of an exterior shot, although the entrance is outside so hmmm...

My question would be is why would you want to see SW instead? I`m curious about what makes it more interesting to you.
    The first image by the way was inspired by the Gilneas architecture. Actually, that building is completely based on a Blizz drawing.

Quote Originally Posted by Angel25 View Post
    Wow those look awesome! I say SW or Darkshire.
    Darskhire would be just awesome imho.

do moonbrook! so many memories there back in the day! anyway, what ever you choose im sure would be amazing judging by the 2 you have shown already!

i really like the idea of dalaran. its got all the same contrast as SMC working for it, but its has such an outlandish - almost cartoony - quality i think it would be really fun to see it done with a realistic take. would be an interesting piece of art. silvermoon and stormwind just strike me as generic_elf_city_a and generic_human_city_b

especially stormwind. i think it would be a waste if you're really looking for a thematically wow project. done with your style it seems like it would come off much to much like any other picture of a castle you can find on the internet. not that it wouldn't be gorgeous, just that it wouldn't be as eye catching.
    Last edited by crunk; 2012-11-17 at 01:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    As a member of the Alliance I would prefer to see stormwind before the capital of these gay/demonic elfs betrayers of the. $%&@#~€ ... BUT, any site in Azeroth deserves to be enjoyed by your talent, I would admire a lot any area or building that you could do (either of the Alliance or of the Horde, I would not care)

Deleted
    The new Pandarian Main Cities would look good.
    But I think either Stormwind, or Undercity would make perfect choices.

Hmmm , you guys have some pretty good ideas going on here. Never really thought anything besides the major cities, so you are being really helpful here .

You'd score more points towards realism picking Stormwind; featuring visually relatable humans, over fantasy elves.

What about doing a major location in Warcraft lore. For example: The Dark Portal, corruption of Eastern plaguelands, Demons around Black Temple, destruction of the Wrathgate, things like that.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Do you build everything on 3D? I can imagine you don't take the time to create the whole thing, for example when it comes down to furniture and extructure.. yet it looks really good. Which programs do you use?

If I were you, I'd go for Silvermoon, that on is a challenge and the hardest with Undercity....but, my suggenstion is... make Old Lordaeron City. That would be awesome

Deleted
    mother of god

15+ Year Old Account
    Old Lordaeron...dew eeet

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think the gates of Ironforge would be cool to see also..

Quote Originally Posted by Senderos View Post
    Hey donQShot and Pachycrocuta,

Thanks for the replies. Regarding UC: the problem here is that it is mostly interior, dark atmosphere and I`m kind of going for more of an exterior shot, although the entrance is outside so hmmm...

My question would be is why would you want to see SW instead? I`m curious about what makes it more interesting to you.
    The first image by the way was inspired by the Gilneas architecture. Actually, that building is completely based on a Blizz drawing.
    Why would I want to see SW over Silvermoon? Stormwind (to me) is more aesthetically pleasing to my eyes than Silvermoon. And I would rather see Thunder Bluff for horde city over Silvermoon. But that is just my opinion.