Page 12 of 36 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    Really depends on the mmo. Over the course of a year you pay about 180 dollars.

If you only get 2 raids during that time you just got skrewed.

If you got 6. Well, okay. That's justifiable.

Hint: I'm comparing the last year of cata to the last year of rift.[COLOR="red"]
    I try to do the whole for every 1$ i spend i want 1hr of fun and if i get lets say 15hrs of fun its worth it. For a long time i tryed looking at it like that but with mmo's i think you have to look at it slightly different.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    I try to do the whole for every 1$ i spend i want 1hr of fun and if i get lets say 15hrs of fun its worth it. For a long time i tryed looking at it like that but with mmo's i think you have to look at it slightly different.
    Depends on what you find fun.

I did not find 9 months of ICC fun.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Quote Originally Posted by Telila View Post
    F2P was supposed to justify the game not being closed. It hasn't
    I agree and i personally feel if its current setup dose not chance then i see SWTOR getting shutdown.

But that is just my opinion.

Off topic: Why did i just need a new MOP add on my tv......

---------- Post added 2012-11-19 at 12:57 PM ----------

Depends on what you find fun.

I did not find 9 months of ICC fun.
    Thats my point when it comes to MMO's I think you have to change that system a little.

With console/pc games that are not MMO's the 1$=1hr of fun works but with MMO's it kinda don't
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever the Regent-Lord needs me to be
    But keep in mind, you can't make more than 2 characters.
    Yes. That is the case for new players. Old ones get to keep and use any toon they head before, which is good.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    My WoW sub has run for ~8 years. My TOR sub (Including £130 CE) ran for 6 months. I paid for both, from like 2-3 hours work.

Money is, and never was the issue.

TOR was the issue

F2P was supposed to justify the game not being closed. It hasn't. It wasn't WORTH the sub to me, but it could have been worth SOME money in the cash shop if it was truely F2P
    WoW and SWToR

people like to compare those two games. They have, indeed some similarity. many in game mechanics are very similar. But the souls of these games are different. They are not suppose to reach to the same kind of public. That's what many people did not grasp.

Star wars emphasizes on story and story telling methods (voice over, dialogue). Quest are not just a text, you interact, you exchange with the NPC , both when you take or complete a quest. A quest doesn't necessarly finish the way it suppose to, suddenly a change of heart makes you kill the quest giver. You can chose to be serious, sarcastic, good or evil.

the voice over, the cinematic, the story arc, the choice, although all of this matte not once you reach 50, it still is what define the game. In essence, in SWTOR, it the journey that matter, not the destination, in wow, only the destination is really important, the game only start a 90, the endgame.

Those are 2 very different games, contrary to the appearances. Poeple want to make SWToR a wow in space, i don't blame them, a wow in space well done could be an interesting MMO, maybe blizzard could do it, maybe that's what titan is. But swtor it is not. Swtor has it's own soul, people don't see it because they want to staple the "wow clone" to it.

Maybe that's because the game lack personality. Bioware did fail to give the game a strong enough personality i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Solzan Nemesis View Post
    Yes. That is the case for new players. Old ones get to keep and use any toon they head before, which is good.
    NOPE.

In decemeber you have to pick 2.

Right now we are in a "grace period" as bioware has called it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    WoW and SWToR

people like to compare those two games. They have, indeed some similarity. many in game mechanics are very similar. But the souls of these games are different. They are not suppose to reach to the same kind of public. That's what many people did not grasp. .

Wasn't comparing, was just showing I've paid for an MMO for ~8 years, so cost was irrelevant

---------- Post added 2012-11-19 at 01:16 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Solzan Nemesis View Post
    20/12/12 you pick 2 and are done with it

Wasn't comparing, was just showing I've paid for an MMO for ~8 years, so cost was irrelevant
    To be fair, wow didn't have much competition for those 8 years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever the Regent-Lord needs me to be
    NOPE.

In decemeber you have to pick 2.

Right now we are in a "grace period" as bioware has called it.
    Wait what? *_*....................................................................................... .............................................

/sad now.

Deleted
    To be fair, wow didn't have much competition for those 8 years.

No, it hasn't.

But I've also played:

Rift - About 4 months, too much like WoW
    WAR - <1 month, God Dam why didn't I see the warning signs with TOR right there!
    AoC - Great, until you've done the starting area
    STO - Subbed for ~1 year, F2P for another 1.5 years
    LOTRO - Bought the game, didn't like it. Subbed for a few months though to see if it was just launch issues. Tried again, F2P, nope not for me.
    SWG - About 3 years prior/during my start in WoW

TOR....Ohh how I want to love thee.....why aren't you what I wanted

There's probably plenty more I've tried and couldn't stick with, WoW just brings me back. Sad thing is, I';ve never let my WoW sub slip, except for TOR's 1st 2 months. It drew me in, despite ALL the problems. It just couldn't hold me

I want to leave this thread with a bit of thought, people are saying WoW's Trial isn't as good as SWTOR's because you can't reach max level. To that I say:

Why do you want max level in WoW?

Well that's easy.

The dungeons are fun.
    You want epics.
    You want to raid, do heroic raids, LFR.
    You want to do BGs and get PvP gear so you can kill people.

Guess what?

You can do dungeons, Ragefire Chasm, The Deadmines, Wailing Caverns, Shadowfang Keep. Deadmines and Shadowfang Keep are the exact same as the level 85 versions were. Guess what? You want to do dungeons in SWTOR? You get 3 a week. Have fun. "Oh, but you can't get max level dungeon gear in WoW." Well, have fun getting max level dungeon gear in SWTOR with only 3 a week.

You want epics. Guess what? You don't get epics in SWTOR. At all. That's a restriction of their "f2p (read: trial)." You can't equip epics items in SWTOR's full game, you can't equip epics in WoW's trial.

You want to raid. Guess what? You don't get to raid in SWTOR's f2p game.

You want to do BGs? You get battlegrounds, you get Warsong Gulch and Arathi Basin, two time honored classics, capture the flag and hold the point. It doesn't matter what level you are when everyone's the same level (read: the level cap for trials, 20). If you have fun doing BGs, then you have fun doing BGs.
    You want to have fun doing BGs in SWTOR? Here you go, all of them. 5 a week. Have fun getting your honor gear 5 BGs at a time (or w/e currency they use in SW).

In short, the only thing SWTOR's game offers that WoW's trial doesn't is max level.

Star Wars: You get max level. You don't get raids, you don't get epics, you get 3 dungeons a week, 5 battlegrounds a week.
    WoW: You don't get max level. You don't get raids, you don't get epics, but you get as many dungeons a week as you want and you get as many bgs as you want.

So if all you really want is that big number on your nameplate that says what arbitrary level you are. Then have at it.
    Last edited by Boogums; 2012-11-19 at 01:51 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Racthoh View Post
    just curious. what's wrong with slower exp gains? the whole point to playing this game is to see the quests is it not?
    At the moment its designed so you have to do 95% of the quests to achive the requested lvl to progress to the next world, because of this, even if you do 100% of the quests you still need to spend some hours killing the same npc over and over and over again to reach the next level

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Broloth View Post
    Stuff

cool story bro

Quote Originally Posted by Haajib View Post
    At the moment its designed so you have to do 95% of the quests to achive the requested lvl to progress to the next world, because of this, even if you do 100% of the quests you still need to spend some hours killing the same npc over and over and over again to reach the next level
    Nope you dont no grinding involved if you do all the content provided you'll level enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Broloth View Post
    -snip-
    I'll bite, how long can you go on with doing RFC,DM WC and SWK before they become boring and repetitive? Untill you get all the itmes you "need" or want from them? Until you see them once? Now there is a huge difference between doing bgs at 20 with 4 abilities and doing them at 50 with your whole arsenal avaialbe to you. Heck you can even spend some cash to unlock unlimited warzonez if your just into pvp and it will cost you less then a sub would.

In general, if you enjoy multiple aspects of the game then subscribe (obvius), but if you expected that for free then tough luck. If you enjoy some aspects more then others, say you like warzones and not operations or Flash points, then the f2p will suit you more, eps. if there are weeks that you won't log in at all, due to work, holiday or other IRL reasons.
    Last edited by mirodin; 2012-11-19 at 02:14 PM.
    It's coming in 1.2!!!

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    why are we talking about wow?

wow has its qualities and wow has its problems that are different from star wars
    one need to be able to stray away from wow preconceived idea and judge the game on its own merits.
    it's players that try to make star wars something it is not, "wow in space"

Deleted
    It's way heavy. But problem is that enough people like it to make it profitable, otherwise they would have been more generous to their f2p-players. I actually did like this game, subbed every now and then, so cute jawas. But this painful restriction model, and other side paying to be better than other players. I dont like it, horror the horror. Shame with a quite good game, but what can one do? As long as players support this business model it will remain and be common out there. Rest of us can either choose to support it, or choose something else.

Don't really consider this game f2p. More similar to a sneaky way to just get you to try out the game, then start paying a sub. Didn't even get slightly interested in the game after reading the f2p model they're using.

The only way I'd play a game that does a f2p model, is similar to what GW2 does...where the stuff you buy is just fluff.

I have to say, one of my biggest complaints with this game was never being able to find people to do any of the flashpoints or stuff...I got bored spamming trade...going f2p would have been nice if it was a decent model that got a TON of people to play their game, then maybe enough people would have made it easier to find people. I don't see this keeping enough players around long term. In fact when I first heard of their f2p model, I haven't read anything since this thread about them. Won't even consider trying it again.

Deleted
    I have to say that I am really disapointed.
    I know that nothing is free, and that "Free to play" is a myth, but EA/Bioware takes it to a whole new level with all the restrictions. As so many others has pointed out, so is the so called Free to play only a glorified trial, that want to pull people in so they could spend money.
    I really love SWTOR and have been a faithful subscriber since release, so I am not affected my self, but I tried to get some friends to play, but they gave up after a day since EVERYTHING was so hard restriced.

I cant see how the F2P they offer will attract any more players at all.

Deleted
    They totally missed the point of F2P unless they thought F2P mean Forced To Pay.

Instead of letting F2P get acces to the core of the game which is the story while leveling, and giving subs an enhanced experience both while leveling but mostly endgame with new content being free and access to content that's restricted for F2P players and having the cartel market be cosmetic and for temporary access to otherwise subscriber only areas.

They've made it so that subs get the game as it's allways been. Nothing extra except some free cartel coins every month. and f2p have restrictions on everything to the point where it's nearly unplayable if you don't pay to get some of the basic features of the game.

Sure you can still level and play the story lines as F2P but unless you're really into the story you wont stay for long because it's dreadfull with all the restrictions.

Some of my favorite retarded restrictions are:

-2 quickbar limit unless you pay for more.
    -Not being able to hide headgear if you don't pay for it.
    -Not being able to show titles unless youn pay for it.
    -Decreased xp rate if you don't buy booster packs.
    -Limited quest rewards unless you're a sub. Some quests you can't even choose a reward from because they're all blocked.
    -F2P only get the smallest bag space because upgrading it for F2P players cost cartel coins.
    -2 hour cooldown on quick travel because F2P needs to be reminded that they're second class players unless they pay.
    -Limit on how many times you can ressurect at your body unless you use cartel coins for more.

Oh and if you have been a subscriber in the past you get some bonus cartel coins when you come back to the game for each month you payed. All you have to do to claim those coins is to subscribe again...

I'll still play it on and off for the story lines I didn't finish before, and had EA been friendlier to F2P I might have bought some booster packs or week pass for warzones but with the welcome we got with Forced To Pay I wont, even if it greatly diminish the experience.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Do you really think that a decision such as how to build the free to play model has been decided in a 15 minute after-lunch meeting?
    Do you really think a decision that will potentially involves loss or gain of tens of millions of dollars has been taken lightly?
    Don't you think they have closet full of folder filled with business strategy, market simulations, even psychology reports on which they based their decisions?
    Do you really think Electronics Arts is run by novice team in business and marketing?
    Do you really think they haven't anticipated the current forum outcry, calculated the outcome and chose the most profitable solution?
    Do you really think random post on some random fansite forum would make them suddenly change their mind?
    Do you really think EA's stupid?