Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

GW2.. I don't know anymore.

I don't know anymore if I truly like this game or if this game is for me.

I'm mainly talking about PvP which is starting to frustrate me A LOT (I basically base my class choice around sPvP, if I don't like the class in sPvP I won't play it in either PvE or WvW).

I've basically tried out every profession and NONE of them fit my likings. I basically like to be versatile, have at least one knockback, be SOMEWHAT tanky if need to be and have some nice damage.

So I thought the Engineer would be something for me, looking on YouTube about the Engineer made me really want to play one. So I did. Now I see they're getting nerfed PvP damage-wise and according to many on the official forums Engineers seem to be really buggy and not scale well in PvE.

After doing several sPvP matches I found the profession not to be that fun due to the grenades being really clunky and bombs being really clunky IMO.

I've also tried out Warrior which felt REALLY clunky and really squishy, even though people have said they're the tankiest profession after Guardians. Plus I don't like relying on literally 1 attack (hundred blades?) to be my only real damaging ability.

So I ditched my warrior too because of the clunky charges and clunky attacks.

I've also tried out Thief, which I REALLY hate to play in PvE and I DISGUST them in PvP due to them being RIDICULOUSLY OP.

I don't really know what Elementalists can do, I've only tried out some damage builds, but people have also said that they are really squishy and more of a glass cannon profession...

So now we have Guardian, Necromancer, Rangers and Mesmer left.

Guardian doesn't seem to really have a DPS build besides only one I believe.

Necromancer frustrates me A LOT because of being completely gimped while in CC.

Ranger I don't really know actually, but the idea of having to rely on a pet annoys me.

Mesmer is really confusing. Having tried out all weapons and looking at the traits I already know they don't really fit my playstyle...

So basically IDK what to do anymore. I don't like the professions due to squishiness and clunkiness but I do like PvE and to a certain extend WvW. But I also want to be viable in sPvP :/

ANY help would be appreciated.

I've basically tried out every profession and NONE of them fit my likings. I basically like to be versatile, have at least one knockback, be SOMEWHAT tanky if need to be and have some nice damage.
    You want guardian

They have a lot, its just their "niche" is about mitigating damage.

Necros are more buggy then engineers

Mesmer is really confusing.
    That's the point. Though mesmer lack aoe and diversity

Try out guardian imo

15+ Year Old Account
    I've been primarily playing Engineer since Beta and since release. I am playing pistol + shield and keep either grenades and bombs for group DPS situations. But I usually add some support skills like supply drops in WvWvW. They are better on CC side as well and are overall more versatile. I've never done sPVP (yes, sounds weird) but a lot of WvWvW and world PVE. Yes, they are clunky, they do not scale well. In every aspect you could say some other class has it worse so they are kind of stuck because they don't really underperform per se but don't perform as well as someone would expect. I know few people have traded Engineer for Mesmer. Weird, I do have a level 80 Mesmer as well but I miss the versatility of my Engineer (reminds me of my relation to my Druid during vanilla WoW). I like the gameplay of my Guardian as well and admittedly it feels very easy to play compared to my Engineer.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenblade View Post
    I've been primarily playing Engineer since Beta and since release. I am playing pistol + shield and keep either grenades and bombs for group DPS situations. But I usually add some support skills like supply drops in WvWvW. They are better on CC side as well and are overall more versatile. I've never done sPVP (yes, sounds weird) but a lot of WvWvW and world PVE. Yes, they are clunky, they do not scale well. In every aspect you could say some other class has it worse so they are kind of stuck because they don't really underperform per se but don't perform as well as someone would expect. I know few people have traded Engineer for Mesmer. Weird, I do have a level 80 Mesmer as well but I miss the versatility of my Engineer (reminds me of my relation to my Druid during vanilla WoW). I like the gameplay of my Guardian as well and admittedly it feels very easy to play compared to my Engineer.
    Yeah, the druid thing is what I thought Engineers would feel a bit like. Since I enjoy druids A LOT in WoW I really thought Engineers would be the profession for me.

Im trying out ranger right now, but they're like the ultimate glass cannon. I'll also try out the guardian. If you think I'll like the guardian, Zito, then I'll try it.

Cya all in a bit :P

I'm also playing engineer. Yeah, I sometimes notice that I'm dealing damage somewhat slower than others, but I like to be able to switch around what I do. I need long range aoe? Grenades! Mortar! I need short range aoe? Bombs! Flamethrower! I want to kite stuff while spamming pistol shots? Turrets! Mines!

I wish they did something to the damage, but I'm mostly interested that engineer is able to do pretty much anything. After I also geared myself some defensive stats, I didnt even die anymore as soon as someone attacked me. Lately I have been using bombs heavily after I beat three melee's attacking me in pvp while at least two of them on me at all times. They were melee. All I ahd to do was drop bombs and they blow up. They cant even get away easily, if I drop the glue bomb. I can also run around them.

I too have been trying out other classes, but somehow nothing sticks on me like engineer. Mesmer I got bored before even getting to lvl80. Thief is somehow annoying. Warrior is boring.

I have yet to try out guardian, necro, ranger, elementalist. Necromancer is on the list next...or perhaps guardian since everyone seems to have one.

Quote Originally Posted by Terahertz View Post
    I've also tried out Warrior which felt REALLY clunky and really squishy, even though people have said they're the tankiest profession after Guardians. Plus I don't like relying on literally 1 attack (hundred blades?) to be my only real damaging ability.

I've also tried out Thief, which I REALLY hate to play in PvE and I DISGUST them in PvP due to them being RIDICULOUSLY OP.

I don't really know what Elementalists can do, I've only tried out some damage builds, but people have also said that they are really squishy and more of a glass cannon profession...

Ranger I don't really know actually, but the idea of having to rely on a pet annoys me.

Mesmer is really confusing. Having tried out all weapons and looking at the traits I already know they don't really fit my playstyle...

So basically IDK what to do anymore. I don't like the professions due to squishiness and clunkiness but I do like PvE and to a certain extend WvW. But I also want to be viable in sPvP :/

Lets start off by saying this; Any class can be tankish. That people think the elementalist is a glasscannon is simply because they've jumped over to the forums, looked up the most FotM build they could find and whopdidoo, they've got themselves a elementalist that is somewhat viable, yet hilariously easy to kill.
    This is a build that works silly well for elementalist sPvP/tPvP.. 0 AoE viability pretty much and definitly not for PvE, but you can standa fair chance against most classes with this one:
    http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fEQQJAo...koJbTumkNNqYSA

As for the other classes:
    Guardians can do pretty good damage, however for sPvP you can expect to be either playing a walking bunker or greatsword.
    Necromancer: Well, they've got 2 healthbars, whats abit of extra CC?
    Ranger: As pets are right now, you wouldn't rely on them in PvP at all.. the pets simply dont get enough hits in if people move around to make them useful; but its a fun class to play.
    Mesmer: Dont go there. Really. Dont. Theres so many minor things with the mesmer right now. For example, completing 100% of the maps in PvE grants you a nifty golden star next to your name.. But your clones dont get it so suddenly your clones lost the ability to distract the opponent. Ctrl+T (Call target) ignores most of the skills mesmers stealth with, so if the mesmer stealths and summons a clone.. the crosshairs will still be over the real mesmer. Currently the mesmer brings nothing except portals to WvW sieges.

As you're interested in both PvE and PvP, and you want to be abit tankish.. I'd suggest a earth elementalist(Condition damage) for PvP and fire/Water for PvE, in PvE you wouldn't be tankish but you wouldn't need it. Or as Zito suggested, Guardian.. They're surprisingly fun.

If you just want to win alot in PvP, Pistolwhip or heartseeker thief is your best bet.
    Last edited by luedieniel; 2012-11-18 at 03:19 AM. Reason: Posted mid sentence.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    I thought GW2 was going to put Blizzard's World of Warcraft out of business.

Mod Edit: Careful. Comments like this are not very productive to the premise of this thread.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-11-18 at 03:39 AM.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries.

Quote Originally Posted by jazen View Post
    I thought GW2 was going to put Blizzard's World of Warcraft out of business.
    why would you think that?

Only warning: do not use this thread to turn conversation to a game vs. game debate.

OP is seeking advice on professions. Specifically w/r/t SPVP.

Don't chase rabbits down dark holes.

--Fencers

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by luedieniel View Post
    Lets start off by saying this; Any class can be tankish. That people think the elementalist is a glasscannon is simply because they've jumped over to the forums, looked up the most FotM build they could find and whopdidoo, they've got themselves a elementalist that is somewhat viable, yet hilariously easy to kill.
    This is a build that works silly well for elementalist sPvP/tPvP.. 0 AoE viability pretty much and definitly not for PvE, but you can standa fair chance against most classes with this one:
    http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fEQQJAo...koJbTumkNNqYSA

As for the other classes:
    Guardians can do pretty good damage, however for sPvP you can expect to be either playing a walking bunker or greatsword.
    Necromancer: Well, they've got 2 healthbars, whats abit of extra CC?
    Ranger: As pets are right now, you wouldn't rely on them in PvP at all.. the pets simply dont get enough hits in if people move around to make them useful; but its a fun class to play.
    Mesmer: Dont go there. Really. Dont. Theres so many minor things with the mesmer right now. For example, completing 100% of the maps in PvE grants you a nifty golden star next to your name.. But your clones dont get it so suddenly your clones lost the ability to distract the opponent. Ctrl+T (Call target) ignores most of the skills mesmers stealth with, so if the mesmer stealths and summons a clone.. the crosshairs will still be over the real mesmer. Currently the mesmer brings nothing except portals to WvW sieges.

As you're interested in both PvE and PvP, and you want to be abit tankish.. I'd suggest a earth elementalist(Condition damage) for PvP and fire/Water for PvE, in PvE you wouldn't be tankish but you wouldn't need it. Or as Zito suggested, Guardian.. They're surprisingly fun.

If you just want to win alot in PvP, Pistolwhip or heartseeker thief is your best bet.
    I tried out Earth Elementalist, had fun with 20 stacks of bleeding on my target, but I still died fairly quickly and couldn't do much after I left Earth Attunement.

I also just tried out the somewhat bursty guardian spec which seems fine but I still don't really like the gameplay.

I think GW2 isn't really the game for me when it comes to PvP. The only class I've enjoyed so far in sPvP was the Engineer and the only class that's aesthetically appealing to me is the warrior. You could say I'm really picky and pretty much spoiled because of how WoW classes work :/

I also can't seem to really like any class. This happens to me ALL THE TIME in any MMO. So I try them all out. I went with a warrior first, but got sick as hell of GS being the only weapon that's any good. I wish the hammer didn't suck so much. Dual axes are fun, but the severe lack of mobility just kills it for me.

Thief's stupid little initiative system makes me hate the class more then any other, and their lack of decent weapon choices. It's either d/d, d/p, or s/p.

Ranger, don't know why I even bothered trying it out. I can't stand pet classes. And for god sakes why can't an MMO have a ranger class that doesn't have damn pet system. It would make the class so much more fun to play.

Mesmer, way too confusing and complicated for my retarded brain to handle. Same with engineer and necro.

Well a Ranger without pet is basically just a Marksman/Archer archetype.

Plenty of MMOs have that; Aion, Radiant Arcana, Rift, Everquest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wombinator04 View Post
    I also can't seem to really like any class. This happens to me ALL THE TIME in any MMO. So I try them all out. I went with a warrior first, but got sick as hell of GS being the only weapon that's any good. I wish the hammer didn't suck so much. Dual axes are fun, but the severe lack of mobility just kills it for me.

Thief's stupid little initiative system makes me hate the class more then any other, and their lack of decent weapon choices. It's either d/d, d/p, or s/p.

Ranger, don't know why I even bothered trying it out. I can't stand pet classes. And for god sakes why can't an MMO have a ranger class that doesn't have damn pet system. It would make the class so much more fun to play.

Mesmer, way too confusing and complicated for my retarded brain to handle. Same with engineer and necro.
    These are the exact same reason why I dislike Warriors, thiefs and rangers.

Thing is, I like having the choice of playing my own build or having several viable builds. I don't want to be like warriors where only one build is really viable while most others lack all kind of stuff.

I just don't want to play a class that in the end has either: Too much damage and is a glass cannon, a class that has too defensive builds or too glass cannony-like builds, too many CC which costs them their damage.

I'm actually reconsidering playing an Engineer. But the only real thing that's stopping me right now is... how will legendary weapons affect them? Surely the developers didn't forget about engineering kits where our weapon isnt visible 100% of the time?

Quote Originally Posted by wombinator04 View Post
    And for god sakes why can't an MMO have a ranger class that doesn't have damn pet system. It would make the class so much more fun to play.
    Well this is one of those things that was done in tabletop RPGs like dungeons and dragons for decades and is carried over (same with mages and water elementals in countless mmos). This doesn't answer ~why~ it's done other than for historical reasons.

These are the exact same reason why I dislike Warriors, thiefs and rangers.

Thing is, I like having the choice of playing my own build or having several viable builds. I don't want to be like warriors where only one build is really viable while most others lack all kind of stuff.

I just don't want to play a class that in the end has either: Too much damage and is a glass cannon, a class that has too defensive builds or too glass cannony-like builds, too many CC which costs them their damage.

I'm actually reconsidering playing an Engineer. But the only real thing that's stopping me right now is... how will legendary weapons affect them? Surely the developers didn't forget about engineering kits where our weapon isnt visible 100% of the time?
    Theres plenty of viable builds for all classes, 100 blades is for example a pretty mediocre build, but due to it being easy to play people prefer it over other builds. It's the same with heartseeker, why would thieves bother playing a build where they, heaven forbid, have to press not 2 but 3! buttons to perform on par with just 1 button?

Not having played Engineer in sPvP I can't say much about them, however I will say this: Legendaries have effects that is not bound to them but rather to your character.
    For example Bolt, the legendary sword, will give your character a lightning animation while you're wielding it in the mainhand, and a constant purpleish glow while you have it equipped.

I truly doubt your flamethrower would suddenly be converted into a lightningcannon from equipping a sword tho so dont expect too much from the kits / legendaries.

(All that however... You will not be getting a legendary anytime soon so it will probably change well in time before you get the hands on even one of the precursors.)

it comes down to you having to find a weapon combo with a class you like, then rebuilding that into something that you feel comfortable playing with through utility choices.

Possibly an axe + shield warrior with rifle offweapon?

Want to play a Ranger without a pet?

Warrior. Longbow. There you go.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

I don't know anymore if I truly like this game or if this game is for me.

I'm mainly talking about PvP which is starting to frustrate me A LOT (I basically base my class choice around sPvP, if I don't like the class in sPvP I won't play it in either PvE or WvW).

So I thought the Engineer would be something for me, looking on YouTube about the Engineer made me really want to play one. So I did. Now I see they're getting nerfed PvP damage-wise and according to many on the official forums Engineers seem to be really buggy and not scale well in PvE.

After doing several sPvP matches I found the profession not to be that fun due to the grenades being really clunky and bombs being really clunky IMO.

Please read this.

Try warrior with sword/axe or double axe etc. You really don't need to go Warrior with a GS. In fact, in tournament play that is considered noobish 'cause there are more combos where you can be a good dmg dealer, survive greater and support your team at the same time.

Also, guardian is kinda low on burst dmg, but has lots of surv. and has constant dmg. So they can do a lot of dmg by surviving longer then other professions instead of doing a burst. It also has a lot of CC. He is good all around.

Also, Mesmers, even if considered squishy, are very good tankers 'cause of their stealth, illusions and constant boon supply. They have pretty nifty dmg and if you play your part properly, they are the best profession to turn the tides of the battle. Also i recommend to level one at least to lvl 30 and then start playing with him because of all the variations you can muster on him. Try mesmers maybe.

For engineers I found a turret-based tanky build that has A LOT of dmg and surv. It has greater dmg then a guardian and an greater chance to survive then a guardian! The only down-side it, as the build is based on turrets, it's not mobile a lot. It is great to cap and hold points, but not to engage on 2 places at once. I have played 41 tournaments with that build and won 37. That needs to tell you something. My main, though, is a guardian, so I know what I'm saying about this.

TL;DR - If you ask me, you didn't try hard enough to find your type of play and profession that suits you.
    Last edited by Baloneyz; 2012-11-18 at 05:47 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

Try a warrior with that build.

Unless you just forget to use your dodge button, you'd be hard pressed to claim squishiness with it.

This is an SPvP build, and it's pretty cookie cutter. I use the "of the Warrior" pvp Rune set (Vitality, Power, Weapon Swap), and the critical damage medallion.

Outside of a frenzied Hundred Blades, 1h axe in the mainhand does far more damage than greatsword. It is also gonna be your best burst skill.
    Playing Path of Exile and Guild Wars 2

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Luciank255 View Post
    Please read this.

Try warrior with sword/axe or double axe etc. You really don't need to go Warrior with a GS. In fact, in tournament play that is considered noobish 'cause there are more combos where you can be a good dmg dealer, survive greater and support your team at the same time.

Also, guardian is kinda low on burst dmg, but has lots of surv. and has constant dmg. So they can do a lot of dmg by surviving longer then other professions instead of doing a burst. It also has a lot of CC. He is good all around.

Also, Mesmers, even if considered squishy, are very good tankers 'cause of their stealth, illusions and constant boon supply. They have pretty nifty dmg and if you play your part properly, they are the best profession to turn the tides of the battle. Also i recommend to level one at least to lvl 30 and then start playing with him because of all the variations you can muster on him. Try mesmers maybe.

For engineers I found a turret-based tanky build that has A LOT of dmg and surv. It has greater dmg then a guardian and an greater chance to survive then a guardian! The only down-side it, as the build is based on turrets, it's not mobile a lot. It is great to cap and hold points, but not to engage on 2 places at once. I have played 41 tournaments with that build and won 37. That needs to tell you something. My main, though, is a guardian, so I know what I'm saying about this.

TL;DR - If you ask me, you didn't try hard enough to find your type of play and profession that suits you.
    I tried out warrior with double axe (not sword/axe I believe) which was fun-ish to play, but my real problem with warrior is that everytime you charge to your opponent or use some sort of ability (only some of them, like 100 blades) you have to stand still. Which is a big deal for me because I enjoy being mobile if I have to.

BUT I will definately try out Warrior sword/axe double axe and see if there are traits that will focus a bit more on defens/CC.

Guardian I recently tried out because it was also recommended (note: I didn't try out ALL builds but I tried out a more DMG focused build) but I didnt really like it.

Mesmer I also havent tried out a lot but looking at their traits and abilities make me think they focus TOO much on illusions, but ill try that one out too.

Engineer turret build IDK. I've seen a vid about them before and like you said, they make great point holders but idk. Will try it out more thoroughly though.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurinax View Post

Try a warrior with that build.

Unless you just forget to use your dodge button, you'd be hard pressed to claim squishiness with it.

This is an SPvP build, and it's pretty cookie cutter. I use the "of the Warrior" pvp Rune set (Vitality, Power, Weapon Swap), and the critical damage medallion.

Outside of a frenzied Hundred Blades, 1h axe in the mainhand does far more damage than greatsword. It is also gonna be your best burst skill.
    I tried this build out already and liked it on the axe part, but i just dont like 100 blades that much because you have to stand still ya know.

I'll be trying professions out again. I've tried out engineer again but a different build which I like. Will try out mesmer and warrior again too.

Deleted
    If you're not sure whether you like it or not, then you don't, go play something else or not at all.

Problem solved, bye!