Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Purportedly, the chemical compounds within the plastic will begin to "seep" into the water... this is also why they say "don't microwave or freeze waterbottles," as it supposedly frees up substances present in the plastic contacting the water and releases them into the water itself. This seems to be an issue with water bottles containing BPAs, which I do not believe have yet been directly tied to ailments in humans... but have been observed to cause some animals to change gender and other fun things.

The water bottle conspiracy continues...
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    Oh so I don't have to worry about poisoned water from the plastic?

A friend of mine is totally convinced of it. -_-
    From what I recall it's only really an issue if the plastic heats up. Don't leave it sitting out in the sun for a few days and you'll be fine.

EDIT: Though it's possible that's just an extension of the myth.

The plastic that water is packaged in — usually polyethylene terephthalate (PET) for retail bottles and high-density polyethylene (HDPE) for water cooler jugs — is slightly porous, so the water can pick up smells and tastes from the outside world. Keep a case of bottled water in the basement for a year or so and it’s going to pick up some interesting flavors. There’s nothing better on a hot summer day than a 2007 Evian, with hints of dust and a crisp kitty litter finish! the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has never established or suggested a limitation on the shelf life of bottled water as long as it’s produced in accordance with regulations and the bottle remains properly sealed. But the expiration date has been an industry norm for so long that many producers have just kept it on there.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Broloth View Post
    Because the plastic slowly starts to poison the water.
    The plastics used today are 100% nonpolar with a very high Mw (moleculair wiegth), while water is polar.
    Only nonpolar liquids are able to dissolve plastic unless the Mw of the polymer is so low that also polar liquids are able to dissolve it.

So in fact it is possible to dissolve plastics in water, yet the plastics used for bottling for i'd say the last 20ish years have a very high Mw and therefor it cannot dissolve in water, not even in a 1000 years, simply because the effect of water on the plastic is 0% as the long polymer chains dont have a chemical need to bond with water.

So why does bottled water have an expirydate? imo sales, inventory and just because the law says so. (atleast conform EU standards) but definately not because the PET could affect water inside.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    Oh so I don't have to worry about poisoned water from the plastic?

A friend of mine is totally convinced of it. -_-
    If you leave the bottle in a hot car/warehouse or other area that regularly gets over 90 degrees, yes.

If you store the bottle in a cellar or fridge that stays below 70-80 then no.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Unless you store it next to open barrels of poison or something, it should be very safe years after the expiration date.

The water might take on a slight taste and smell of it's plastic container and the environment it is stored in though.

The expiration date is merely the date to producing companie guarantees that the product is safe to consume if stored properly. A great deal of perfectly well food is wasted because it is thrown away just because it reaches this date.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    You ever tried drinking water that's been sitting around for ages and is pretty stale? Doesn't taste as nice, so without that expiry date people wouldn't feel the need to buy more so often. Due to that, the companies make more money. Tbh I don't understand why people buy bottled water unless they're from an area of questionable water quality so it's not something that's ever cropped up in my life so far.
    Well to give one example, as a college student I didn't have good access to a faucet with drinkable water (and I'm not drinking out of a bathroom's faucet) and I didn't want to go out into the hall to the water fountain every time I got thirsty.
    Putin khuliyo

while this isn't bottled water, ive had tap water in a water bottle that was over a year old (it was left in my sports bag from before I quit). I spat it out, it tasted disgusting, i have no idea why but it did.

Some states have laws requiring an expiration date on packaging at most 3 years after the date of production. Rather than risk sending an unlabeled bottle to such states, companies simply label ALL their bottles.

Deleted
    I always thought the date was for the bottle and not the water.... =p

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebert View Post
    Either the water contains nutrients/minerals/and so on that degrade over time such that the water becomes nutritionally deficient, or, the plastic that the bottle is made from slowly degrades into the bottle over time and makes the water undrinkable.
    This is why. Also, never put bottled water in direct sunlight (or a heating source) or the freezer if you plan on drinking it.

They also don't want you reusing bottles for the same reason.
    There are no bathrooms, only Zuul.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    What oxygen particles? Do you mean pockets of air that were sealed in with the water? Or do you mean the oxygen that is chemically bonded to the hydrogen that makes up water? If you mean the latter, water is a stable compound.

There actually isn't any federal law requiring bottled water to have an expiration date. Another interesting thing is that there isn't any federal law against selling expired products, there is, however, a law against selling unsafe products. Companies don't necessarily use the same standards for what dictate when a product becomes unsafe. Stuff like milk has a lot of room for error because it goes bad very quickly. You can even get bad milk at the store before it expires.

Many things don't even have a readable expiration date, they have something printed in their own form of Julian code. Some are very simple and have a 5 digit number indicating the year of the century and the day of the year, some go beyond that to include the factory and the shift of manufacture, some require a cipher to figure out even the day of the year. Other products still don't even have the day, they simply have a month and year. An example of the simplest form could be something like 27313 or 13B28. In the first form, 273 is the day of the year and 13 refers to 2013. In the second example, 13 is 2013 again, but B refers to February and 28 is the day of the month. The most complicated form could be something like A31BQZ31 where you just have no idea what the hell any of that means without a cipher.

As for why they exist, there are three reasons: inventory, sales and recalls. Inventory is in case a shipment gets screwed up and they need to account for everything, so they release the dates to the stores so they can check if they have what is being looked for. Sales is to try to encourage companies to sell their stuff more quickly because consumers dislike buying products that are expired. Recalls is similar to inventory, but if something is wrong with a batch, they can release the dates to stores so they can pull only the affected products and not every product of that type.
    Yes, there is a Federal Law.

All companies that produce consumables must, by federal law, have an expiration date on it. Since bottled water is a consumable the company must put a expiration date on it.
    Also some water becomes impure due to plastic melting or substances released into the water by the plastic.

---------- Post added 2012-11-18 at 01:17 PM ----------

http://www.bottledwater.org/educatio...ons/fda-vs-epa

At the federal level, bottled water must comply with the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FFDCA) (21 U.S.C. §§ 301 et seq.) and several parts of Title 21 of the Code of Federal Regulations. Section 410 of FFDCA requires that Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) bottled water regulations be as stringent and as protective of the public health as the EPA’s tap water standards.

FDA has issued comprehensive bottled water Standards of Identity, which provide uniform requirements and definitions for the following bottled water classifications: drinking, artesian, groundwater, distilled, deionized, reverse osmosis, mineral, purified, sparkling, spring, and well water. (21 C.F.R. § 165.110 (a))

Standards of identity are the mandatory, federally set requirements that determine what a food product must contain to be marketed under a certain name in interstate commerce.

FDA has also established bottled water Standards of Quality for more than 90 substances. (21 C.F.R. § 165.110 (b)) Most FDA bottled water quality standards are the same as EPA's maximum contaminant levels (MCL) for tap water systems. The few differences are usually the results of the substance not being found in bottled water or the substance is regulated under another provision of law such as FDA's food additives program.

Regulation of bottled water is managed through the FDA's Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition, located in College Park, Maryland. Enforcement and inspections are coordinated through the FDA's state and regional field offices. Addionally, the health and safety departments of all 50 states and the District of Columbia, regulate the bottled water indsutry at the state level. In fact, regualtory oversight is such an important issue that during inspection and enforcement activities, state regulatory authorities act with the full federal legal authority of the FDA.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pkm View Post
    I didn't know spring water expires D:

Is this a real expiry date?
    Spring water in the spring doesn't.

Bottled water that is taken out of the natural cycle and kept in an airtight container does.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Tapwater is usually chemically treated, so you can't keep it.
    This is part of why there is a sale by date on water. There are 2 types of water, Spring water and Mineral water. I am not sure which is which but one of them is filtered many times over (probably Spring) and the other one is literally tap water which has been bottled up (Probably mineral because its left with the minerals in it as its not filtered more).

So, one type of bottled water is just tap water.

Deleted
    Because even water does get kinda bad if left in the bottle for long periods

Definitely doesn't go bad for you. Other products are similar, such as canned food, juices in general, etc. They are pasteurized to make sure there's absolutely nothing that can grow in them, but over time the quality goes bad. Drinking a 1-2 year shelf juice is safe, but probably won't be very tasty... and will be brown thanks to oxydation.