Page 1 of 37
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

[Megathread] Starbound

I was a huge fan of Terraria and kinda bummed when the devs said they would no longer be updating way back, so I wanted to post some stuff for others who may now be playing or have played it and for people who just enjoy this genre of game.

http://playstarbound.com/

Still lots of development work to go, but looks very promising so far especially with how multiplayer building will work in this.

Hope others here can get as excited about this game as I can.
    Battletag(US): Bradski#11752
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What do you call a tsundere Wookie? Chew-b-b-baka

Deleted
    i am a bit exited, but the devs dropped 1 project before, so i am a bit hesitant. Specially cause they outsourced later atleast i read / watched somewhere terraria to xbox with extra content. Thats basicly a act of greed imo

I'm pretty excited. I loved Terraria so the fact that this game is pretty similar is really cool to me. Looks like there's also some new additions that it'll make it quite different, so there's that to look forward to as well. I'm interested to see how this progresses!

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, if you go to the about section on the web page the game is actually going to have explorable planets and everything. Not to mention cataloguing various species and adapting technologies... has quite a bit in store already.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Someone put that game on Steam Greenlight. I want it, I want it, I WANT IT!

Quote Originally Posted by Onaturi View Post
    i am a bit exited, but the devs dropped 1 project before, so i am a bit hesitant. Specially cause they outsourced later atleast i read / watched somewhere terraria to xbox with extra content. Thats basicly a act of greed imo
    They continued supporting a released game for free and people got their panties in a bunch when they decided to move on to their next game.

I can't believe how pissy people can get over games that cost 10 bucks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    They continued supporting a released game for free and people got their panties in a bunch when they decided to move on to their next game.

I can't believe how pissy people can get over games that cost 10 bucks.
    Yeah I bought Terraria when it was on sale too and more than enjoyed it for the price that I paid. If they keep up the good work with Starbound and titles to come they'll have repeat business with me for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Onaturi View Post
    To be fair for a fee of $10 the game on release had many hours worth of gameplay and received regular updates so it's not like you didn't get your money's worth. With the amount of content that was added I'm surprised it wasn't marked as DLC.

I too am dissappointed that they stopped working on Terraria but they sure did give the community alot for so little plus they have good reason Terraria was developed by a team of two people, they have alot more staff on-board for Starbound.
    Last edited by Lyriok; 2012-11-18 at 08:21 PM.

Deleted
    182 Hours played on terraria. Damn right I'm excited.

Just a note for the people that think that Starbound is being led by Re-Logic, it is not. Just Finn Bryce, the designer for Terraria, is on the project and uses the name Tiy.He gathered more programers and designer and started making what he calls his "Dream Game". Don't think as Starbound like Terraria Part 2 or a sequel or something. Think of Starbound as a different other game.

I've been checking their site now and then, it does look like it will be great fun on lan, took me ages to get my bro to give me a game on terraria but i think he'll cave quicker with this one :P

I would still pay for a Terraria expansion or continued support. Kind of annoying that there's only fan stuff for it now. I would've loved to have seen the Large map play areas double in size and have new biomes and the like added in. So yeah, I'll be getting this and pretending that it's Terraria 2.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    I would still pay for a Terraria expansion or continued support. Kind of annoying that there's only fan stuff for it now. I would've loved to have seen the Large map play areas double in size and have new biomes and the like added in. So yeah, I'll be getting this and pretending that it's Terraria 2.
    I'm at the point now where I would honestly pay full price (£40) for a terraria expansion. Sounds ridiculous but I got more enjoyment out of terraria than I did all AAA titles this year and last.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vellerix View Post
    I'm at the point now where I would honestly pay full price (£40) for a terraria expansion. Sounds ridiculous but I got more enjoyment out of terraria than I did all AAA titles this year and last.
    YES! Loved Terraria and was so disappointed that it came out with more content on console than they gave us on computer. Really hoping the devs don't skimp out on us again considering we are the gamers who supported them first!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Treeskee View Post
    YES! Loved Terraria and was so disappointed that it came out with more content on console than they gave us on computer. Really hoping the devs don't skimp out on us again considering we are the gamers who supported them first!
    Its a shame for both parties really, There probably wouldn't be many people like me who would spend that much, but lets be realistic, I bet alot of the fans on PC would be willing to pay up to £10 for a decent sized content patch/expansion. Thats quite alot of money they could make.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some of this is slightly old news, some is new! Just wanted to get this thread a little more up-to-date especially with the tweet asking about pricing, really gets my hope they might at least have open beta soon OR an actual release!!!!

THE GLITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"The Glitch were part of a program invented by an unknown race of enormous intelligence, they were built as a means of simulating the social and technological progress of a civilization.

These experiments took place in a vast number of regions across the Universe, despite changing a plethora of variables each civilization eventually destroyed itself when its technological progression began to overtake its social progression. All but the Glitch.

For reasons unknown a fault caused the Glitch to become stuck early in the simulation, where they now remain. The experiment long abandoned, the Glitch are unable to shake their Medieval values and beliefs. They’re entirely unaware of their origin and are built to experience the feelings and desires of any other sentient organism.

The Glitch reproduce by finding a mate and physically building a new Glitch together. Occasional faults in this process has caused Glitch to be produced free from the limitations of their programming. Entirely self aware and full of advanced knowledge, these Glitch are generally thought to be insane and are hunted, imprisoned and executed.

Small numbers of faulty Glitch have managed to escape their homeworlds and set up villages amongst the Stars."

Space Travel UI

Character Creation

Latest Tweet
    "So guys, what do you think would be a fair preorder price in dollars? For reference 10 $ = 6.6 £ = 7.8 EURO and 15 $ = £9.90 = 11.7 EURO"

That tweet is one hell of a tease...

10+ Year Old Account
    since they abandoned terraria for other crap i refuse to buy the other crap

Quote Originally Posted by Achaman View Post
    since they abandoned terraria for other crap i refuse to buy the other crap
    This attitude makes me wonder... How long does a company have to provide free content updates to a budget priced game to appease the entitled masses?

Looking good.

And lol at the entitlement issues some people have.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance