Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Black Friday Shoppers Have Started Camping Out...

Two women in California line up outside Best Buy more than a week before black Friday. http://consumerist.com/2012/11/16/ye...his-wednesday/

A family in Florida are the first in line to camp out for black Friday. http://www.cfnews13.com/content/news...ing_out_f.html

For those that don't know, Black Friday is the term for the day following the American holiday Thanksgiving. Many retail stores have massive sales and discounts on high end items like flatscreen tv's and computers.

Do you hate black Friday and everything that it stands for, or do you think that these people are smart and just taking advantage of a great deal?

Whether or not you go out this Friday, here's to hoping that no one gets trampled, shot, or pepper sprayed this year....
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

15+ Year Old Account
    All that comes to my mind is Mr. Bean and his sleeping bag to save him the best spot in line

"Dude, why are you dead again?" "Because I'm raid-leading, doh..."
    Mess with the best, die like the rest...
    >>>Goes by name Samyaza<<<

i don't really see the point. why do stores do this? having middle-level price reductions in the long term for more customers just seems like the better business model.

Also sounds like something that would attract lots of crazy/violent people xD

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like a consumers war. Why waste time waiting a whole week in front of a store to save money that you could have earned through that week?
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dense View Post
    i don't really see the point. why do stores do this? having middle-level price reductions in the long term for more customers just seems like the better business model.
    It creates an incentive for people to shop. I actually think having a fake shopping holiday is a smart business model. I just despise it with all my guts.

It doesn't attract violent people. It creates them.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

They could save a couple dollars by camping out for more than a week.

...or they could make much more than they would save by getting a job and contributing to society.

Deleted
    So i guess this is a thing for bums with no jobs?

I avoid the stores like crazy on black friday. I can only deal with stupid for so long and that day there is a whole lot of stupid out. Plus from that friday till Christmas avoiding the stores and malls on a weekend where I live is a good idea. I take a day off work and do any shopping during a week day. So much easier.

I hated it before, but now that i'll be working in one of the stores thats gonna get swarmed, i'm gonna hate it even more.

Its an alright economic stimulation, but it seems like a silly business model indeed, given all the planning and cop hiring, and the potential for injuries (just youtube black friday tramplings)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by volrath50 View Post
    They could save a couple dollars by camping out for more than a week.

...or they could make much more than they would save by getting a job and contributing to society.
    Did you ever stop to think that a lot of people take off Thanksgiving week?

Quote Originally Posted by dense View Post
    Fist fights, stabbings, pepper sprayings, and tramplings to death are common occurrences.
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

Black Friday - another excuse Americans have to shit on one another for personal gain.

I used to work in retail for Black Friday; electronics specifically. It's disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by lokithor View Post
    So they take off Thanksgiving week to spend their days camping outside a store. Genius.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

That and I'm sure many like me already had the day after Thanksgiving off. I have never had to work that friday ever. Love my job.

15+ Year Old Account
    Most of the things I get are online. I'll probably go to GameStop at midnight though, about it. Also we don't really need a thread like this every year do we? They line up at the same time every year, nothing new. The fact that most of the shit is from last year at the same price is funnier.

15+ Year Old Account
    Just six more days until Hilarity Saturday, the day where you get to read and laugh at all the stories about old people being trampled or women beating each other with items all because of the super amazing deals! I've yet to see a single deal that would make me want to go Black Friday shopping or even for a minute consider standing in line for more than an hour.

This is basically the reason it is a ´holiday´.. almost everyone has the friday after Thanksgiving off. Most people the Wednesday before also.

Honestly, I hate these things. Shops should have a constant, low price.

Take a look at HIFI-club from Denmark. (Story time!!): Since they started having a larger cut on the danish market for Speakers, electronics etc like 40 years ago, they never had these "saving-spree's". They belive inn good quiality, and that comes at a sertain price.

Id love if every chain-store of whatever had that philosophy. Im tired of going into a Supermarket w/e, one week they have good offers, and next week its like....sigh. I would die for a supermarket that had a constant, flat, low price.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

I went out on Black Friday for the first time last year. Went with some really good friends, and we laughed and joked around all night, and finished the evening at Denny's. It really was a lot of fun, and I got some really good deals on clothes and a couple cheapie electronic things.

I can't help but think that people that plan their lives around it for a week on end are losers though. If they put the same level of effort into doing something productive, perhaps they wouldn't have to worry so damned much about saving a couple hundred bucks on a TV.