Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I think MoP is a bit more grown up in the sense of the things going on. Reincarnation, tons of philosophy being thrown in with how shas are formed. I find this expansion more engaging and interesting with all the new lore. I still prefer TBC era for raiding, but for questing, dailies, and exploring, I prefer MoP out of the bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    I'm going to blame you of having bad taste then.

I liked pandaren in WC3 because they were mysterious ... and there was only one going about.

But to shove Pandaria right into Azeroth now and making them a playable race... bleh. They've lost all their appeal to me. Some things are just better left to the imagination of people and I feel that Pandaria should've been just that.
    So what you are saying you'd rather have the Pandaren not in game and just leave them for people to think what could of happened with them?
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Quote Originally Posted by vamonos View Post
    totally do i mean cmoon all those monkeys talking about dookers
    Scat-obsessed rapist monkeys are childish?

Quote Originally Posted by Nakida View Post
    I think MoP is a bit more grown up in the sense of the things going on. Reincarnation, tons of philosophy being thrown in with how shas are formed. I find this expansion more engaging and interesting with all the new lore. I still prefer TBC era for raiding, but for questing, dailies, and exploring, I prefer MoP out of the bunch.
    I think this current tier of Pandaria raiding is dramatically superior to T4. Karazhan was fun for about half of it, Gruul's and Mag's were never fun. All of the current raids are pretty spectacular. Certainly dramatically more interesting boss fights.

They made more sense as non-playable race and with Pandaria being a "mysterious" place where no outsiders have ever been or could go. Exploring everything and getting to see everything in Azeroth isn't always a good thing, some mysticism must remain for things to remain cool and interesting.
    That makes no sense for a game like WoW, where everything will get explored. What about Outland or Northrend? What about future expansions, they too will explore more and more land we've never seen. You simply cannot say Pandaria should be the one exception.

It is never childish. I actually enjoy the Asian theme of the expansion since it appeals to my asian gene.

However, I hate the company behind the game. But that is off topic. -_-

10+ Year Old Account
    I never found it childish in the first place.

I definitely feel it's just as childish as when it was announced, but luckily, I can appreciate a gaming company trying some lighter and cartoony approaches to a sequel/expansion. Mixes things up. But hopefully, they will bring it back to more vanilla/TBC/WotLK style.
    Intel i7-5820k @ 4.5 GHz
    Asus Rampage V Extreme x99
    Asus GTX 980
    32GB DDR4 RAM
    Windows 10 Home x64

I'll ask the same question I did back when pandaren where first revealed and everyone when all "kung fu panda" paranoid. What makes something childish? Is it having a cartoonesque art or character theme? Character models that revolve around fuzzy bears?

How about the dialogue in the Wise Mari boss fight? Not so childish is it. In fact, that fight is downright dark and depressing if you really pay attention.

Perhaps you find the sha childish? Creatures the feed and grow on our more base instincts and darker emotions. Yes, that sounds very childish to me.

Or perhaps the mantid? You know, those insect guys that have a social structure based entirely on survival of the fittest, breeding strength into their members by allowing the weak to be killed off by their enemies, and having a leader who has a direct check to her power in a council of impartial arbiters? Also, very childish.

And lets not forget the pandaren themselves. Are they childish because they bear artistic similarities to a chubby and fun character portrayed by Jack Black? Because personally, Taran Zhu is probably one of the characters in WoW lore that can be classified as downright badass.

But yes, pandaren are obviously very childish.

Sure I can, I'm doing it right now. Pandaria was much more interesting while it was a mysterious place and Pandaren were very very rare to come across.
    Fine, then it's perfectly reasonable for me to say Argus should not be in game, even though many people want it. It's a mysterious place, just like Pandaria and we know little about it.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurzior View Post
    I'll ask the same question I did back when pandaren where first revealed and everyone when all "kung fu panda" paranoid. What makes something childish? Is it having a cartoonesque art or character theme? Character models that revolve around fuzzy bears?

How about the dialogue in the Wise Mari boss fight? Not so childish is it. In fact, that fight is downright dark and depressing if you really pay attention.

Perhaps you find the sha childish? Creatures the feed and grow on our more base instincts and darker emotions. Yes, that sounds very childish to me.

Or perhaps the mantid? You know, those insect guys that have a social structure based entirely on survival of the fittest, breeding strength into their members by allowing the weak to be killed off by their enemies, and having a leader who has a direct check to her power in a council of impartial arbiters? Also, very childish.

And lets not forget the pandaren themselves. Are they childish because they bear artistic similarities to a chubby and fun character portrayed by Jack Black? Because personally, Taran Zhu is probably one of the characters in WoW lore that can be classified as downright badass.

But yes, pandaren are obviously very childish.
    YES YES THEY ARE /derp face that usually comes along with TBC BEST XPACZ EVAR....while pandas are childish space goat squidmen were ok nothing wrong here
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferg View Post
    sometimes when im alone i like to cover myself in vaseline and pretend im a slug
    Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    I like to glue my thumbs to my nipples and pretend I'm a T-Rex.

First Pandaren did not start out as an April Fools joke. They were in an April Fools joke, but they existed in lore and concept art ("serious" concept art) before that.

Secondly, anyone who find Panderia "childish" has no idea where Warcraft got it's roots. There has ALWAYS been jokes and "childish" elements in Warcraft. Click the army units until they get annoyed and start saying awesome stuff, or click the critters until they explode. It's always been a mix of light hearted fantasy and darker fantasy.

Also, anyone who wants to crap on this expansion, and believes those old expansions were soooo much better, let me remind you of how they were received at the time (and this is just SOME of the complaints, there were plenty more):

Burning Crusade: OMG, seriously? Alliance gets space goats? I hate this expansion, everything glows, and we're in space, and WHERE'S THE FANTASY?! This isn't Warcraft!
    Wrath of the Lich King: Everything is too easy, we just AE every pull in every dungeon. They reused Naxx? And it's too EASY! DKs are overpowered. Everything sucks. We hate vehicle mechanic fights!
    Cataclysm: Everything is too hard! Healers can't keep up. Mana sucks. We need to crowd control every fight. We wipe in heroics. Leveling is too fast. Worgen are for FURRIES!

Long story short, a certain segment will hate this expansion no matter what, then next expansion they'll look back on this one with great affection as they hate the new one.

Childish? No. Uninspired and boring? Yes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Onyxia's layer, as Blackwing Descent was merely a setback!
    To me? It's never been childish. However, that's not what irks me with MoP. It's the style, culture, and philosophies of the Pandaren and the majority of the other races on Pandaria that make me feel kinda, "meh, whatevs" with this xpan.

Personally, it just isn't my cup of tea. My interests lie in the "traditional" cultures of any fantasy game. Just to pick an example, the who hidden master and "master & student must be at inner harmony and overcome challenges using only their bare hands an...zzzzzzzzzzz"

Don't get me wrong, the majority of the Jade Forest was awesome, (Alliance slash & burn 2 horde bases convincingly *le gasp*) but once I hit Krasarang and Valley, I was just uninterested in the whole, "overcome emotions and here comes Chen beating up most of the mantid army drunk, big surprise there".

For the first time, I actually wanted us to lose at Stoneplow, just so we could fight the Mantid across the zone with Guerrilla warfare and have your factions expeditionary force clash epically at Halfhill and earn the hearts of the local Pandaren by withstanding the swarm just as we did against the Qiraji.

But that's just me. I guess 5.1 will change all that though, I'll just have to wait and see.
    Hi, I'm scissors! Nerf rock, paper's fine. <---Class balance in a nutshell on the WoW forums.

Pandas are shit and pandaria is a terrible continent (bar kun lai). Rest is ok though.

Mostly yes, I do. Pandaren, Grummles, and Hozen are the biggest offenders, but they're not the only ones.

Childish. Maybe a little. Completely out of place in the warcraft universe? Hell yes. Its like something Chris Metzen thought up while sitting on the toilet after a long night of getting stoned with his friends when he saw the chinese take out box in his garbage can.

I honestly cringe every time I see a Panda in game. They dont even look like Pandas. They look like giant Gummy bears. The eastern theme doesnt bother me and the Sha.. meh. Not awful. But Pandarians and Grommels etc.. and these "gods" they worship just feel like they were stuffed in the game forcefully.. Like Blizzard said, " hey guys FUCKING LIKE THIS".

Where were all these pandas and Gods they worship when, Oh I dont know the Burning Legion and the Orcs invaded Azeroth? Didnt give a shit.
    Where were they when Arthas was like. "Yo. Im gonna fuck this planet up and everyone on it and turn them into my slaves. Eat my shit." The Pandas didnt care cause Im sure arthas was like "Except you guys on that island that has some mists over it. I cant see you very well so Im gonna just leave you out of this. Drunk gummy bears make bad undead minions anyway."

Arthas could see the future FFS he saw the coming of deathwing.

Where were the pandas and their gods when, I dont know... A HUGE FUCKING DRAGON WAS LITERALLY FLYING AROUND THE WORLD TEARING IT APART. He was infused with the powers of the old Gods and could go wherever he wanted. But Im sure he was like "BRO, Im gonna rape this planet bloody and turn every last mother fucker into a smoldering pile of dragon litter. Except this island that has some mists around it. I wont destroy that. Oh and Im sure they will leave me alone too, cause even though Im gonna engulf this entire piss poor planet in flames the thick condensation surrounding that small mass of land will protect it so why bother."

PANDAS DONT FIT IN THE LORE OR THE WORLD. WHY ARE THEY HERE!? Oh yeah see the Chris Metzen inspiration above.

TBH the bottom line is they could have made this xpac just as it is, but it would have been 100x better if the pandas would have stayed a non playable neutral race that ran the story, and trained the other races in the game how to be monks. I mean right from the start they are like "We dont need your motha fuckin war and dont want to choose sides. But lets choose sides." WTF? Just keep them neutral and out of the alliance/horde war and just be the npcs and quest givers that drive this xpacs story. They DIDNT NEED TO BE A PLAYABLE RACE.

I mean look at WOTLK. There were fat walrus people and shit like that, but it never bothered me because I didnt see a bunch of these fat bastards running around orgrimmar disgracing plate armor sets that used to be bad ass. Monk class.. fine add it its cool. But there was NO NEED to make pandas a race.
    Last edited by Grishnok; 2012-11-20 at 05:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    No, its like watching an 80s kung-fu movie made by white guys. There's even an NPC named Shonuf who yells "I've got the glow".
    Just a note: Berry Gordy's Last Dragon was made by a black dude. Not a white dude.

As for the game, it's not childish. Even if one accepted it as actually childish through and through, it's no more childish than previous expansions. And I find it amusing that when people bring out the Lewis quote, all people do is toss ad hominems. Really shows the comparative worth of arguments.
    Last edited by Katza; 2012-11-20 at 05:16 AM. Reason: Fixed a typo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mist of dailys.. Sorry.. Pandaria is not a bad Xpac

But i still feel that the Pandaren for a playable race was a bad choice.

Deleted
    Pandaren feel very out of place in Azeroth. People who played WC3 and got shown this probably would've groaned in disgust and disbelief.
    You mean the bread and butter of WoWs playerbase when it initially launched that was clamoring for pandaren to be added? Yeah, no.

As for childish, no.

It has some solid story telling in it, I found the questing experience far less childish than I found the Cataclysm 1-60 revamp, that seemed to take a lovingly crafted (albeit outdated) series of zones with some subtle humour, and turn it into a series of terrible, in-your-face obnoxious pop-culture references.

MOP has some problems, but I don't see childishness as one of them if you can get past the "big fluffy panda" thing, which you should - look at the rest of the races in warcraft.
    Last edited by mmoc1571eb5575; 2012-11-20 at 05:24 AM.