10+ Year Old Account

Looking for help, building new gaming pc.

Hey Guys

It would be great if someone could help me out and point me at some good parts or setups which would fit into my search. Or atleast tell me at what i should look at to choose the right parts. My biggest Problem is staying inside the budget.

Budget: converted to usd around 2000
    Resolution: 1920x1200
    Games / Settings Desired: WoW/D3 and such with good to highest settings.
    Any other intensive software or special things you do: Alot around Video capturing/editing.
    Peripherals: Monitor ~ 24"
    • Special Stuff im looking for is, i want to use 2 ssd's + 1 hdd, and maybe 2 graphic cards.

Im not expecting someone to give me the perfect complete setup, thats too much work. But atleast some help which parts would work good together.

Which graphic card for that purpose makes sense to be used twice in the setup? How about
    EVGA GTX-660 Ti SC, 2GB GDDR5, PCI-E x16 3.0 ?

Which combination of mobo and cpu would make sense? Does Intel Core i7 3770 BOX, 3.5GHz, LGA 1155 && Asus Sabertooth Z77, LGA1155, PCI-E 3.0, SLI/CFX ?

Any reccomendations about the case and the ram(16gb+) ?

Thanks for any kind of input !

Ulvi

Deleted
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (€305.95 @ Amazon Deutchland)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler (€75.67 @ Amazon Deutchland)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (€124.89 @ Amazon Deutchland)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (€78.40 @ Amazon Deutchland)
    Storage: OCZ Vertex 3 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (€90.88 @ Amazon Deutchland)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (€93.93 @ Amazon Deutchland)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (€357.99 @ Amazon Deutchland)
    Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer ATX Mid Tower Case (€83.00 @ Amazon Deutchland)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (€87.89 @ Amazon Deutchland)
    Optical Drive: Sony AD-7280S-0B DVD/CD Writer (€22.74 @ Amazon Deutchland)
    Total: €1412.22
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-11-18 15:31 CET+0100)
    As for going double graphics cards you can keep that as a future upgrade option.

Will run everything you need and lots of headroom.

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.29 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($26.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($219.00 @ B&H)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 680 2GB Video Card ($548.49 @ Newegg)
    Case: Corsair 650D ATX Mid Tower Case ($149.93 @ Mac Connection)
    Power Supply: Corsair Professional Gold 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($139.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1455.67
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-11-18 10:35 EST-0500)
    Playing since 2007.

Deleted
    nab read video editing part
    also prices in EU are way higher for certain parts and not all brands/models can be ordered here.

Well if you're going to do heavy video editing/recording.

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.29 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($26.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($109.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 680 2GB Video Card ($548.49 @ Newegg)
    Case: Corsair 650D ATX Mid Tower Case ($149.93 @ Mac Connection)
    Power Supply: Corsair Professional Gold 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($139.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1516.65
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-11-18 11:09 EST-0500)
    Last edited by Nab; 2012-11-18 at 04:09 PM.
    Playing since 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    If you're going to get 2 SSDs, why not get a 256 GB version? Samsung 840 $172 or Vertex 4 $190.

If you're looking to RAID, there are newer options for approximately the same price: Samsung 830 128GB $92 or Samsung 840 128GB $98

Quote Originally Posted by Nab View Post
    Well if you're going to do heavy video editing/recording.
    Why would you spend $1500 by overspending on case, PSU and GPU and then get 4GB RAM? With the 680, you're in the realm of super diminishing returns.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    If you're going to get 2 SSDs, why not get a 256 GB version? Samsung 840 $172 or Vertex 4 $190.

If you're looking to RAID, there are newer options for approximately the same price: Samsung 830 128GB $92 or Samsung 840 128GB $98

Why would you spend $1500 by overspending on case, PSU and GPU and then get 4GB RAM? With the 680, you're in the realm of super diminishing returns.
    because the guy asked for it and don't use US prices (lots of stuff we cannot get in EU or price difference is pretty big)

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    because the guy asked for it and don't use US prices (lots of stuff we cannot get in EU or price difference is pretty big)
    If you clicked the link, those are Euro prices using PCPartpicker DE and retails from Amazon DE. I just don't have a Euro's button on my keyboard. 'Murica

Just because the OP asked for it doesn't mean you shouldn't recommend a single SSD. Especially when its cheaper and you get better parts.

Deleted
    assuming it is for his video editing it isn't a big deal. (a WD black works fine for that aswell )
    guess we need some OP input first in order to tweak stuff further.

ps: i don't have a euro button on my keyboard either (copy paste ftw)

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry for the late post. Thanks so far for the effort.

Well i try to react to any unclear stuff.

CPU: The K in the Title means its unlocked doesn't it? I never adjusted something on my cpu's so far, am i wrong or would that mean that the non K version is better in my case?

RAM: it should atleast have 16gb

SSD's: Yes im looking for 2, for a starter Raid 0 setup. A bigger single ssd is no option for me.

Graphics Card: Taking the second Card as Option for Upgrade at a later date is okay. As long as the single Card is good enough to Deal with the stuff i do.

And yes, for those which didn't see it (sorry for not posting it) im from switzerland.
    My Budget converted:
    2000 Swiss francs
    1660.4640 euros
    2113.2800 US dollars

Which does not mean that i have to reach my limit, but i just need a setup which handles what i want to do, no more, no less.

MyWork | Not taking any Requests at the moment |

Any specific reason for 16GB of RAM? I have never used up my 8GB.
    Also why do you need 2 SSD's in RAID0? There's more chance of losing your data.
    Playing since 2007.

Deleted
    alright regarding the K part of the cpu means the multiplier is unlocked and enables for some healthy overclocking (sounds scary but it isn't)
    most ivy chips can reach 4,2ghz with just using mobo tuning software ( and yield a pretty big performance boost at no risk with the cooler that i listed)
    regarding the SSD raid setup is this for certain work/hobby programs ? (if so maybe a boot ssd + wd black work just as good)
    As for the GPU i wouldn't worry about a single gtx 680 not living up to the tasks you might have in store for it

10+ Year Old Account
    Question Ulvi, you mention the resolution (1920x1200) but then say you're looking for a 24" monitor. So do you already have one or are you looking? I'll suggest some anyway...

Dell U2312HM
    Dell U2410
    Dell U2412M

These are all IPS panels (Ultrasharp series = awesome), which means pristine quality and color reproduction which I'm sure you'll love in both media editing and WoW/D3.
    If you don't like Dell and find something else, make sure it's a quality IPS panel from a renowned manufacturer. Don't settle for anything less!

Quote Originally Posted by Ulvi View Post
    Sorry for the late post. Thanks so far for the effort.
    Well i try to react to any unclear stuff.
    CPU: The K in the Title means its unlocked doesn't it? I never adjusted something on my cpu's so far, am i wrong or would that mean that the non K version is better in my case?
    For what you do you WANT the K (unlocked version), the reason why everyone is recommending it is because nothing matches an overclocked K series CPU. There is very little to "adjust" these days, overclocking is stupidly easy. I think you will greatly appreciate the benefit of overclocking because say your chip is OC'd by ~20% (very easy), when it comes to video recording/editing/etc you are literally looking at a 20% speed boost, almost every single mhz gained from overclocking is utilized in those applications. Since you'll be editing on Raid0 SSD's, the only limiter will be your CPU speed.
    So a big chunk of your budget will go towards a solid CPU+Cooler setup, a CPU-heavy build.
    RAM: it should atleast have 16gb
    Yup grab any decent 1600-1866mhz 16gb kit recommended so far, aim for 1.5v / CAS8-9.
    SSD's: Yes im looking for 2, for a starter Raid 0 setup. A bigger single ssd is no option for me.
    Run two Samsung 830 series 128gb, I suppose 256gb total will be enough for your needs? Once you're done recording/editing videos you would move them to your HDD.
    Graphics Card: Taking the second Card as Option for Upgrade at a later date is okay. As long as the single Card is good enough to Deal with the stuff i do.
    This is where you can save a chunk of money, for WoW/D3 you absolutely don't need anything more than a HD7850/HD7870/GTX660 Ti. Actually even those cards are slightly overkill, those suggesting GTX670/680 probably didn't read the part where you only play WoW/D3 >_>
    Grab an Asus/Gigabyte aftermarket model, the EVGA one will run a tad louder/hotter due to it's reference design.
    Your build would only warrant a 670/680/7970 if you played a proper GPU-slaughtering game like Crysis series or Battlefield 3 at max settings.

So basically along the lines of this:

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K
    CPU Cooler: Noctua D14 (king of air coolers) / Corsair H100i (the absolute best of the BEST short of going custom watercooling)
    Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK / ASRock Z77 Extreme4 (both are excellent)
    Memory: Mushkin Blackline Enhanced / Corsair Vengeance LP - 2 x 8GB, 1600mhz, 1.5v, CAS latency 9
    Storage: 2 x Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" SSD
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 660 Ti DirectCU II
    Case: This is totally up to you, case is a personal thing. Just be sure it's a high-quality one with with decent cable management options (e.g. Corsair, CoolerMaster and NZXT all make great cases), a good case will run you around $100-150.
    Power Supply: Seasonic X-Series X650w (you won't even use a fraction of the total wattage this PSU offers, it's to give you room for SLI in the future and a fully-overclocked build).
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-11-18 at 08:07 PM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

10+ Year Old Account
    Back from work.

Thanks guys for everything. Didn't expect to get that much feedback.
    It should be okay for now im gonna wait till the next weekend to build and order the system. but i learned alot from all those informations.

Thanks

Deleted
    Back from work.

Thanks guys for everything. Didn't expect to get that much feedback.
    It should be okay for now im gonna wait till the next weekend to build and order the system. but i learned alot from all those informations.

Thanks
    well a non normal setup is also fun. (or atleast special requirements compared to most other ones)
    let us know what you end up getting