Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Wyvern aren't the only things 'misnamed'.

Have the Quilen.
    Wow's Quilen look nothing like how the Chinese made them up to be. Quilen are essentially the Chinese Unicorn, which are very thin, and delicate looking. WoW's Quilen are closer to Chinese guardian lions.

And the Tol'Barad Peninsula is an archipelago. And I don't think the Valley of the Four Winds is actually a Valley. Only it's northern border is actually mountains.

Deleted
    We're talking physical appearance NOT behaviour / weaknesses

Trolls are described as primitive wild humanoids with large noses and wild hair

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Yes they do minus tusks

Say hello to the troll from folklore!

10+ Year Old Account
    I always wondered about that as well. I'm curious why they didn't just make up a name for them instead of using the name of a creature that doesn't resemble it.

Except their orcs do resemble physically the same as their myth counterparts... As do elves, goblins, trolls etc
    You should look up their myth counterparts. A lot of them look nothing like the folkloric ones. Especially elves, goblins and trolls.
    The first recorded mention of orcs referred to sea monsters.

I am going to sound anal here and for that I apologize BUT something that's always bugged me is the wyvern in WoW! Now I don't know if they were referred to as Wyvern in WC 1-3 because quite frankly RTS games bore the excrement out of me thus I didn't play 'em but I will never understand why Blizzard called wyvern wyvern and not something original. After all they don't even resemble a wyvern of myth, it's like calling a kodo a unicorn, especially considering we have proto drakes which are quintessentially wyvern

/nerd rant over
    You can't possibly think that you're the only one that knew this.

You're apparently the only one that cares, though.

While we're at it, World of Warcraft's Hippogryph is pretty far from your typical hippogriff.

WoW is it's own thing, stop comparing it to everything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

Deleted
    The wyverns i've seen in D&D ect. resemble the wow wyvern more than a proto drake. It depends which myth you are looking at There are different myths for the same creature.
    Another example would be trolls. Depending on which myth you are looking at or what your source is they have a wide range of different looks.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes they do minus tusks
    I have never seen a troll described as a tall, skinny, blue creature anywhere but Warcraft.

We're talking physical appearance NOT behaviour / weaknesses

Trolls are described as primitive wild humanoids with large noses and wild hair
    The trolls in Azeroth are thin, skin colour variating from blue to yellow, they're small (compared to folklore trolls), the have tusks, their face is gaunt, they're intelligent. Trolls from folklore is nothing like it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulvhedner View Post
    Say hello to the troll from folklore!
    There are so many variations of troll in folklore that the only thing they have in common is that they are humanoid and sentient.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobra View Post
    Well, they are Wyvern, Blizzard uses that model, and called it a Wyvern, end of story really, Just because it doesn't rememble other "made up" Wyvern doesn't mean that itself isn't, otherwise look at all the vampire/werewolf movies out there, They have changed the way they look/act/traits everything, but they are still considered "vampires and werewolfs" Why? Because it is fantasy, therefore you can call it whatever you like
    Unless you mean the sparkly ones yes

But the point is correct. In different mythology the creatures with same names can look quite different. Also for that matter even if they got the same name doesn't mean its the same creature.
    "Only Jack can zip up."
    The word you want to use is "have" not "of".
    You may have alot of stuff in your country, but we got Lolland.

Yes they do minus tusks
    In most Tolkienesque fantasy (which World of Warcraft is at its core), Trolls are very large, brute-like creatures. I'm no troll expert, but I know WoW's Trolls are a far cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

We all know that warcraft wyverns are just skinny manticores. Now all Blizzard needs to do is add winged, armless reptilians and call them manticores and they will go full retard.
    Last edited by Verdugo; 2012-11-18 at 03:49 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    You should look up their myth counterparts. A lot of them look nothing like the folkloric ones. Especially elves, goblins and trolls.
    The first recorded mention of orcs referred to sea monsters.
    Tbh they do have boats.
    "Only Jack can zip up."
    The word you want to use is "have" not "of".
    You may have alot of stuff in your country, but we got Lolland.

Deleted
    the only thing we can say for certain is every turtle mount is a tortoise, so the sea turtle makes even less sense as it isn't built to be in water.

the only real turtle in WoW is the couple swimming round in vash.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wyvern and the Wind Riders do not resemble the classic mythos of a Wyvern. They're much closer to a Manticore.

---------- Post added 2012-11-18 at 04:10 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Veyne View Post
    In most Tolkienesque fantasy (which World of Warcraft is at its core), Trolls are very large, brute-like creatures. I'm no troll expert, but I know WoW's Trolls are a far cry.
    Speaking of Trolls, you've got to see this movie! Such a fun film.
    TROLL HUNTER
    http://youtu.be/TLEo7H9tqSM
    Last edited by Gren; 2012-11-18 at 04:10 PM.
    Cthulhu 2024, why vote for a lesser evil

10+ Year Old Account
    Also neither exist.

So why should it matter. In an alternate universe humans could be called 'ZigZogies'.

The fact that WoW has basis in our reality doesn't mean everything has to line up methodologically or you'll lose your mind. If everyone in 'that world' accepts it as what it is. Then just go with it.

...Alot of games get Mythology jumbled, and I honestly don't give a shit, because none of it actually exists. They're stories, words that are open for you to apply to whatever you want because someone made up the definition to begin with.
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.

Except their orcs do resemble physically the same as their myth counterparts... As do elves, goblins, trolls etc
    Gnomes in game are closer to RL myth for Elves, not tall, immortal warriors. And since when did voodoo islanders have anything to do with trolls? Only WoW troll berserkers have anything in common with trolls of RL mythology.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gren View Post
    Wyvern and the Wind Riders do not resemble the classic mythos of a Wyvern. They're much closer to a Manticore.

---------- Post added 2012-11-18 at 04:10 PM ----------

yeh this pretty much is what ive allways thought