Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    Deleted

Wyvern AREN'T Wyvern

I am going to sound anal here and for that I apologize BUT something that's always bugged me is the wyvern in WoW! Now I don't know if they were referred to as Wyvern in WC 1-3 because quite frankly RTS games bore the excrement out of me thus I didn't play 'em but I will never understand why Blizzard called wyvern wyvern and not something original. After all they don't even resemble a wyvern of myth, it's like calling a kodo a unicorn, especially considering we have proto drakes which are quintessentially wyvern

/nerd rant over

What ties does the world of Azeroth have with our world?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Azeroth =/= Earth. That tends to be what everyone says in these kinds of threads.

I'm pretty sure pictures would help your case tremendously.

10+ Year Old Account
    And their orc don't resemble the orc of myth. Adaptation by the developers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulvhedner View Post
    What ties does the world of Azeroth have with our world?
    Bam just won the internet

Deleted
    Except their orcs do resemble physically the same as their myth counterparts... As do elves, goblins, trolls etc

---------- Post added 2012-11-18 at 03:32 PM ----------

10+ Year Old Account
    Basalisks aren't 6 legged alligators either and if we want to get really specific most of their "turtles" are actually tortoises.
    "Terror, darkness, power? The Forsaken crave not these things; the Forsaken ARE these things."

sorry, i lost all respect and interest in the original poster after they dissed RTS games

Deleted
    And why we can't call quel'dorei steed a unicorn?

Deleted
    A basilisk is a RL lizard too though

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well, they are Wyvern, Blizzard uses that model, and called it a Wyvern, end of story really, Just because it doesn't rememble other "made up" Wyvern doesn't mean that itself isn't, otherwise look at all the vampire/werewolf movies out there, They have changed the way they look/act/traits everything, but they are still considered "vampires and werewolfs" Why? Because it is fantasy, therefore you can call it whatever you like

Deleted
    They were called Wyvern in WC3 and that's also where they took their looks from.

10+ Year Old Account
    What would you call them? They need some name. I don't think the orcs were looking at some RPG book to name them back in the day.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    In fact almost all their myth counterparts resemble them except wyvern
    Trolls don't.

Deleted
    Windriders is sufficient

The so called elves in Azeroth has NOTHING in common (well maybe some) with the elves in folklore. The elves in the Warcraft universe are based on the elves of the Tolkien universe.

Trolls aren't anything like the ones in WoW. Trolls are humongous creatures who turn to stone or explodes in sunlight, they are dimwitted and are everything but dancing capoeira.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Amsden View Post
    Trolls don't.
    Yes they do minus tusks

10+ Year Old Account
    Trolls don't look like trolls from the Mythology. WoW makes alot of self-made lore , alot of which is from WarCraft III. WoW, however, also takes alot of ideas from Real Life Inspiration, so don't expect everything to be 100% like it's supposed to be.
    Howay the lads!

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Except their orcs do resemble physically the same as their myth counterparts... As do elves, goblins, trolls etc

---------- Post added 2012-11-18 at 03:32 PM ----------

I feel the same as you, OP. They more resemble manticore than wyvern. And it always bugged the hell out of me.

And slightly off-topic, but related to your image. It annoys the hell out of me when someone refers to the image you showed as a dragon. Dragons have 4 "legs" (some call the front ones arms, some legs), while wyvern have 2 legs and no arms, using their wings as psuedo-arms.