Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Do you hate when people complain about the smallest things in Video Games

It can be about anything, just in general do you hate when people complain about the smallest things in video games, when they should be worrying about bigger things in life.

I can use WoW for explain as this mainly a WoW fan-site anyway. Like people complain about the smallest things & it makes your brain hurt why they even bother to play if all they do is complain about does tiny things. When they could be using that time to address other issues that Blizzard should be focusing on instead of the useless stuff.
    Last edited by Arbs; 2012-11-18 at 05:01 PM.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

I wouldn't say they should be worrying about bigger things, but I don't like when people whine about really trivial things. There are Mages that are mad that they're not getting Water Jet because it appeared in 5.1 patch notes, then they decided not to implement it. Really, that merits e-rage? Really?

Yes, but not because they could be worrying about bigger issues. Simply because getting mad over such trivialities is pointless, and makes them look (and thus annoy as) like a tantrum throwing child.

No. If you pay for something, you have the right to complain, especially if the reason for which you are complaining is someone out there being too lazy to do their *job* properly.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm ok when people complain a little.... but sometimes... they get over the edge... and then it becames annoying

One person's valid concern is another person's trivial issue. One person's chronic game flaw is another person's nostalgia.

The only arbiter is Blizzard, who will likely make a decision based not on how valid the complaint is, but how it affects their income levels. $$$$$$

Then you have people who like to build narratives. Someone tries to create a narrative that people complain about the smallest things in video games. Player A may employ this narrative in an attempt to shame others when they complain about something that player A likes, to get them to stop. "Oh, you don't like something I like? That's interesting. By the way, don't you hate it when people complain about the smallest things?"

Its all mind games, narratives, social tricks. Dull, tedious and boring.

I get more annoyed by the growing perception that video games should be made-to-order. There's the increasingly annoying refrain of "We're your customers, you wouldn't even exist without us, so you have to do what we want!" from people who, by and large, refuse to actually exercise that customer privilege by walking away.

People talk about how companies like Blizzard have strayed from "their roots" or "the old days." You know how we dealt with terrible games in the old days? We read reviews, played demos, and didn't buy the damn games. Now people preorder games years in advance, don't read a thing about them or else buy them anyway, and then expect to have the games redesigned to fit their whims once they're out.

I'm not sure what the biggest factor is in this, but one likely candidate is the growth of company forums and the perception that because gamers can post in them, they now have the developers' ear and should get what they want.

people complain about EVERYTHING in the real world and in video games. It doesn't matter if it's great they complain, if it's bad they complain. People will always have something to say about everything, that doesn't mean we need to listen or care.

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    I get more annoyed by the growing perception that video games should be made-to-order. There's the increasingly annoying refrain of "We're your customers, you wouldn't even exist without us, so you have to do what we want!" from people who, by and large, refuse to actually exercise that customer privilege by walking away.

People talk about how companies like Blizzard have strayed from "their roots" or "the old days." You know how we dealt with terrible games in the old days? We read reviews, played demos, and didn't buy the damn games. Now people preorder games years in advance, don't read a thing about them or else buy them anyway, and then expect to have the games redesigned to fit their whims once they're out.

I'm not sure what the biggest factor is in this, but one likely candidate is the growth of company forums and the perception that because gamers can post in them, they now have the developers' ear and should get what they want.
    There is also no denying that Blizzard is having problems. Starcraft 2 was a failure. Diablo 3 was an epic failure. People ARE walking away from Blizzard products.

MoP seems to be good. People aren't walking away from it. Is Blizzard just a World of Warcraft company right now? That appears to be the case.

Yeah totally. Like when people complain about what other players say about a video game.

Deleted
    This is probably better suited to being in Video Games General, so I've moved it there.

And, on topic, I suppose it depends on what you define as small, really. I get annoyed by the original ending to Mass Effect 3, Pyramid Head being in Silent Hill: Homecoming and the way much of WoW's lore has developed. So much so that I may occasionally complain about it on unofficial forums where it will never be seen by devs purely for the cathartic effects of the exercise.

Video game consumers are consumers like in any other industry, and as such, are totally within their rights to complain about a product when they feel it is not up to standard. Sure, some people might complain about things you like (worgen females' alpha appearance and customisations. Grr!), but you just have to ignore it and let them get on with it. Or, if you are worried that their complaints will affect the game you like, rebuke their points somewhere where it matters.

Lots of little things annoy me when I don't perceive the fault that others might see (saying all of the Skyrim experience sucks because of "bad combat"), but I just ignore their QQ and then when I need to QQ, I hope to receive the same callous courtesy.

Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post
    There is also no denying that Blizzard is having problems. Starcraft 2 was a failure. Diablo 3 was an epic failure. People ARE walking away from Blizzard products.

MoP seems to be good. People aren't walking away from it. Is Blizzard just a World of Warcraft company right now? That appears to be the case.
    Except for the people who bitch about it constantly and stake their very lives on the next stock fluctuation that they think will vindicate them.

Which brings us back to the thesis: The current gamer generation is, by and large, too dumb to live, and the sooner a large portion of them die from blood-pressure-induced aneurysms, the better off we will all be.

It's how you complain that annoys me.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    I don't hate people who complain, it should be expected really.

People always complain about things, sometimes that's good for a game.

It gets bothersome. People can state their opinions, but I would love it if they'd stop feeling so entitled and put together an argument worth reading, instead of "OMG BLIZZARD IS SO GREEDY. BLIZZARD DO YOUR JOB, MY OPINION SPEAKS FOR EVERYONE AND THE GAME IS DEAD. LOLTHE GAME IS SO DEAD. WTF NO 8TH ANNIVERSARY PET I'M SO MADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD"
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    refuse to actually exercise that customer privilege by walking away.
    This is the thing that irks me the most. You get these absolutely toxic people complaining about games that they refuse to stop playing, yet continue to demand that changes be made to their liking.

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    It's how you complain that annoys me.
    Complaining without offering ideas or constructive feedback is just the worst.

No, I don't. What's small to you might be a huge deal to someone else.

Since when was SC2 and D3 an epic failure? Do tell me how exactly they were.

Compared to what exactly? Compared to the vast majority of games out there? No, Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 were not failures, but were rather successful. Compared to their respective prequels? in general, I would say yes, they failed. However, we now have good ole nostalgia and hype to contend with. Starcraft and Diablo2 (especially with their expansions) have garnered such incredible success and worldwide acclaim that Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 were doomed to "fail" from the start.

It doesn't annoy me as much as the hypocrazy that is creating this thread.