Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    I actually did the math wrong, it's over 250 people. I'm also rounding a bit.

So, the population of Norway is about 5 million. I'm assuming that the number of people that they know is the same as the number of people that they know know, if you get what I mean. This means that, in order to find that number, we do this:

sqrt(5000000/77)=~254

Still an absurdly large number of people to know.
    First of all, the person you originally replied to didn't only include the people that died, he/she also included those that were wounded or were in the city center at the time of the bombing (the city center part on its own brings up by a lot the number of people directly affected by it).

Second, how is having 254 people as your acquaintances an absurdly large number? They don't have to necessarily be friends, you know.

Ignoring all that, though, as has been mentioned, Norway is a fairly tiny country (by population), 77 people dying in Norway from a terrorist attack is equivalent to 2310 people dying in the US from the same thing, which is fairly close to 9/11. And Americans in this thread count that as one of the biggest shocks of the last decade. So yeah, let Norwegians have their day.

Quote Originally Posted by NPEC View Post
    without much tougth i would say 9/11. I still have hard time to belive that humans could do such things.

hard to believe it happened but not hard to believe people are capable of this... aka hitler

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfootbigd View Post
    hard to believe it happened but not hard to believe people are capable of this... aka Bush
    fixed it for you

Obama being reelected. Obama being elected in 2008 wasn't shocking considering anyone the Democrats nominated would have won.

Deleted
    Probably the amount of iSheeps around, sure I walked past the Apple store in Liverpool and there was already people queuing for the iPhone 5S.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkacid View Post
    Obama being reelected. Obama being elected in 2008 wasn't shocking considering anyone the Democrats nominated would have won.
    For me, it was a shock. It was like if today, Angola would elected a white president. I never thought a black person could have a chance of becoming the US President.

Another wtf moments:
    - 9/11, of course.
    -the King of Spain hushing Venezuela President Chávez "¿Por qué no te callas?" (Why don't you shut up?), in Santiago del Chile, in 2007;
    -Portugal losing the 2004 European Soccer Cup Final match to Greece;
    -Fidel Castro falling from the stage, in 2007;
    -The Katrina Hurricane and aftermath. So much destruction...;
    -The 2011 Japan Tsunami, followed by Fukushima nuclear plants on the brink of explosion, possibly spreading radioactivity through all Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by FathomFear View Post
    Have any links/sources on this topic? Curious...
    Was an interesting bit from an Australian news firm a while back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPILhiTJv7E

Basically covers the redevelopment of residential areas for middle class condos that nobody can afford, as well as massive supermalls with nobody buying shit and no stores. Kinda creepy. Chinese philosophy has been for a while, you can boost your GDP by having people build shit, regardless if they're being utilized or not.

Rise of the internet for me, don't really care about humans dying so 9/11 and tsunami doesn't shock me the tiniest bit.
    People don't forgive, they forget. - Rust Cohle

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    Was an interesting bit from an Australian news firm a while back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPILhiTJv7E

Basically covers the redevelopment of residential areas for middle class condos that nobody can afford, as well as massive supermalls with nobody buying shit and no stores. Kinda creepy. Chinese philosophy has been for a while, you can boost your GDP by having people build shit, regardless if they're being utilized or not.
    Only kind of creepy? This is some kind of insane zombie apocalypse thing. So surreal.

Deleted
    Jim'll Fix it

Only joking, I always knew he was a pedo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well if it was the past 11 years, 9/11 for sure would trump almost anything that happened from 2002-2012. If it was between those years, maybe hurricane Katrina or the death of Osama.