Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account

Some questions about Twist of Fate

Seems surprisingly hard to find details on how this talent actually works.

1) If I have dots running on an enemy when it goes below 20%, will it proc the buff? Or does it require direct dmg?

2) After the proc happens, do dots need to be reapplied to gain benefit?

3) Say I have a bunch of mobs around me, that I'm AOE:ing with Mind Sear. Will the buff proc mid-channel as soon as the first enemy goes below 20%? Will the dmg on the Mind Sear update right away or does it need to be recast?

4) As long as you keep hitting something below 20%, does the 10 sec duration keep resetting to 10 all the time?

Deleted
    yes, no

yes

yes. Yes, no

yes
    Last edited by mmocc73a7e76d4; 2013-10-15 at 04:40 AM. Reason: you added a 4th question

10+ Year Old Account
    1 - Dots will proc it

2- Dots only "screenshot" your buffs you have when they are cast and do not update mid duration, so yes

3 - no clue on mindsear mechanics sorry ;P

4 - yes it keeps refreshing so in an ideal world you want to try and hit the add as it dies

10+ Year Old Account
    ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̡͌l
    Just tested Mind sear with intellect procs and it did update mid cast. So it should update with ToF as well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Beace View Post
    Seems surprisingly hard to find details on how this talent actually works.

1) If I have dots running on an enemy when it goes below 20%, will it proc the buff? Or does it require direct dmg?

2) After the proc happens, do dots need to be reapplied to gain benefit?

3) Say I have a bunch of mobs around me, that I'm AOE:ing with Mind Sear. Will the buff proc mid-channel as soon as the first enemy goes below 20%? Will the dmg on the Mind Sear update right away or does it need to be recast?

4) As long as you keep hitting something below 20%, does the 10 sec duration keep resetting to 10 all the time?
    1) yes, dots will continue to trigger it every time they do damage to the target as long as it is below 20%. Sometimes it even continues after the mob has died (elegon sparks).

2) Yes, need to re-apply.

3) Yes, mindsear will proc ToF as soon as a mob hits 20%. The next ticks will gain the benefit, so keep channelig.

4) Yes.

10+ Year Old Account
    To reiterate, dot damage will proc ToF. Just having the dot on the target when it goes below 20% will not do anything.
    {[( )]}

Deleted
    With the 2pc of Tier 15 Spriest, do you still need to reapply dots after ToF procs since the 2pc bonus keeps increasing the duration of your dots?

Quote Originally Posted by Brokkoli View Post
    With the 2pc of Tier 15 Spriest, do you still need to reapply dots after ToF procs since the 2pc bonus keeps increasing the duration of your dots?
    Yup. T15 2pc increases the DoT duration but mantains its original power (with the excepion of UVLS proc, crit gets recalculated after the original DoT's time has run).

Might wanna use affdotspriest, it calculates the power of your dots based on your current procs and lets you know if you should reapply them or not.

Yes dots will proc twist of fate, which is why as spriest its good to dot up every add that spawns during an encounter, even if its just shadow word pain, because as soon as that adds goes below 20 percent and your dot damages it you get the nice twist of fate buff.

Just pointing out that ToF begins proccing at 35% now, not 20%. It's so much better now! I had an uptime of over 79% on Norushen this week.

ToF is a buff on you, not a debuff on the target so you need to recast your DoTs in order for them to benefit. Though I believe Mind Blast doesn't benefit from ToF for some reason.

Mind Sear is an exception though. Sear's damage will scale instantly with any of int/crit/mastery buff and ToF, and will lose those buffs the moment they fall off even if you're mid channel. Haste buffs however, last the entire channel of Mind Sear even if they fall off, but you will need to recast if you gain a haste buff mid Sear channel.