Thread: Trying RIFT

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Trying RIFT

I am downloading the trial free to play RIFT right now. And as I do this, I am reading some threads on here about "SL" and how this "SL" seems to be a totally new game. So long story short, if I am interested in RIFT...should I even try the trial since the new conent is totally different, or just pay the $$ and get the game?
    I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    SL, Storm Legion for better understanding, is an expansion, and really mostly just adds stuff for level 50+ players, HOWEVER, if you would like to be able to tinker with any of the new specs, for instance Harbinger for mages (melee DPS ftw!) you would need to buy Storm Legion.

My honest opinion? Buy Storm Legion because it's awesome.
    My humble opinion? Before buying Storm Legion, at least get to level 20 or even farther so you know if you like Rift for sure or not, the original game can be had for $10, but Storm Legion is $40. If you want though, Storm Legion can be had where it comes with the original game for $50.

http://www.riftgame.com/en/products/

(Infinity Edition is obviously the Collector's Edition.)
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

It's more or less about the questing experience. In chocolate (this is the term players use to describe the game pre 2.0) the questing experience was very linear and suffered from being bland. Especially if you are the type to grab quests and not bother with reading quest text. In storm legion you have the option of two different zones to start to quest in from level 50 onwards. Carnage quests ( which are basically kill x enemies) but you pick them up in the area you are completing other quests in. So it feels slightly more organic this way.

But to the original point. Go ahead with the trial. You'll get to taste a dungeon, quests, instant adventures, the dynamic zone events, the deep class and soul system. If you like it, great. If not you are not out the purchase price of the game.
    Enjoy your visit to Telara and good luck.

Perfect thanks!
    I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Feel free to come to Deepwood shard to level, I can give you some starter money and bags to help you out! Plus you can ask me questions if need be.

I'm a Defiant, named Deltress.
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Feel free to come to Deepwood shard to level, I can give you some starter money and bags to help you out! Plus you can ask me questions if need be.

I'm a Defiant, named Deltress.
    Will do. Just out of prue luck I made a toon on Deepwood named "Testing". I am fine on gold thank you thou, but I will look you up if I have any questions. Thanks again

If you are on a trial you can still try out Dimensions by pressing [ You can see other players houses and get a feel for it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dragothica View Post
    Hopefully they'll add those Carnage Quests for early levels too, sounds like it's just made for us who don't always bother reading the quest text with a thought.
    A lot of the lower level zones have carnage quests, they just aren't called carnage quests.

They're called "go kill 20 bears and bring me their pelts" quests - or "these wolves are a problem! Kill 20 of them because it will make us safe, lololol!!"
    "A flower.

I say give the trial a try, and If you enjoy it a lot sign up with someone from the Ascend-a-Friend topic. Thats way, you'll a little boost to your leveling experience and have the person you chose help you out along the way.

Dont always dive head first into something. See your available options, try them out, then think about what you want.

I highly recommend you come and join us in RIFT. It is a great game.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    A lot of the lower level zones have carnage quests, they just aren't called carnage quests.

They're called "go kill 20 bears and bring me their pelts" quests - or "these wolves are a problem! Kill 20 of them because it will make us safe, lololol!!"
    Lower level IA (Instant Adventures) have a ton of those, and they give crazy exp which makes leveling a new alt kind a painless

Quote Originally Posted by Cldmani View Post
    I say give the trial a try, and If you enjoy it a lot sign up with someone from the Ascend-a-Friend topic. Thats way, you'll a little boost to your leveling experience and have the person you chose help you out along the way.

Dont always dive head first into something. See your available options, try them out, then think about what you want.

I highly recommend you come and join us in RIFT. It is a great game.

Lower level IA (Instant Adventures) have a ton of those, and they give crazy exp which makes leveling a new alt kind a painless

I am really enjoying the game and I am doing every quest I can find. I am kinda shocked that I enjoy this game as much as I do.....i mean....i played WoW for almost 6 years and thought it was just a remake of WoW..........boy was I wrong. Question.....these IAs.....are these instances?

O and I love the fishing in this game lol

and don't forget the company www.raptr.com just play the trail while there app is running you got a free copy of rift. just need to play like 10 hour for it. and ofc other rewards. like a spidermount and a helm:P

Quote Originally Posted by Hiya View Post
    I am really enjoying the game and I am doing every quest I can find. I am kinda shocked that I enjoy this game as much as I do.....i mean....i played WoW for almost 6 years and thought it was just a remake of WoW..........boy was I wrong. Question.....these IAs.....are these instances?

O and I love the fishing in this game lol
    Instant Adventures take place out there in the open world. You and up to 19 other players (auto-grouped, no need to find friends to do these with) are given simple objectives like Kill 20 spiders or defeat a boss. You're rewarded as soon as it's completed, sometimes with planar currency, sometimes gear or weapons, and you'll either be given another objective or offered a teleport to the next area for more objective-based quests.

When Rifts and zone invasions occur, your group will often be tasked with closing the rift or stopping the invasion, so it's a useful tie-in to everything else dynamic in the game.

You're right, fishing is pretty great in Rift. I was very hesitant about them adding Survival and Fishing during one of the patches, but they've created a really great system for fishing. Between crafting lures for specific fish, upgrading poles, and the different fishing pools with different types of benefits (ex: Pool of Clever Fish almost always guarantees a skill up), Trion did a great job of implementing it.

wait wut? I need to look into this.....sounds to good to be true? This Raptr.com deal is what I am talking about

My opinion is that if your loving things now, your gonna be blown away @ 50 or 60. The game ratchets up to a feverish pitch at end game.

Quote Originally Posted by loki504 View Post
    and don't forget the company WWW.raptr.com just play the trail while there app is running you got a free copy of rift. just need to play like 10 hour for it. and ofc other rewards. like a spidermount and a helm:P
    Is this really legit?

Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    Is this really legit?
    Yes. Even the official launcher advertises for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruth View Post
    Yes. Even the official launcher advertises for it.
    Ok thanks. I've been thinking about trying rift and this sounds like a good deal if it was legit so I just wanted to make sure.

Ok I think I am going to give this game a real chance. What do I need to buy ? I am only interested in the standard editions w/ digital download. Is there a complete "battle chest" because I need everything since I am on a trial account atm. Thanks everyone in advance for the help.

Ok last question...lol.....How is the AH in this game? I cant "play" it atm since I am on a trial account

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiya View Post
    Ok I think I am going to give this game a real chance. What do I need to buy ? I am only interested in the standard editions w/ digital download. Is there a complete "battle chest" because I need everything since I am on a trial account atm. Thanks everyone in advance for the help.

Ok last question...lol.....How is the AH in this game? I cant "play" it atm since I am on a trial account
    The AH is cross faction and can be played and profitable if that's your thing. Yes, there is technically a battle chest version which gives you original rift, the xpac and 30 days of game time plus you can upgrade your trial account so you don't lose the character you already started.

http://www.riftgame.com/en/products/

Have Fun!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zeekphreak View Post
    It's more or less about the questing experience. In chocolate (this is the term players use to describe the game pre 2.0) the questing experience was very linear and suffered from being bland. Especially if you are the type to grab quests and not bother with reading quest text. In storm legion you have the option of two different zones to start to quest in from level 50 onwards. Carnage quests ( which are basically kill x enemies) but you pick them up in the area you are completing other quests in. So it feels slightly more organic this way.

But to the original point. Go ahead with the trial. You'll get to taste a dungeon, quests, instant adventures, the dynamic zone events, the deep class and soul system. If you like it, great. If not you are not out the purchase price of the game.
    Enjoy your visit to Telara and good luck.
    In chocolate?
    The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword.