Bloodsail Admiral DrIvoRobotnik's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Warlock Tanking: Stat Priority

Just kind of a experience, and thought pooling thread.

Through my little experience, seems as though the three are:

1: Mastery (For General damage reduction)

2: Stamina (obvious)

3: Spellpower (For fury ward)

But as of now, with no real direction with my gear tward tanking, I can just barely slide past in heroics, what are you other Lock-tanks doing for your gear, and speccing, out of curiosity?

Is this for reals?

Quote Originally Posted by DrIvoRobotnik View Post
    what are you other Lock-tanks doing for your gear, and speccing, out of curiosity?
    what I am doing is to wait for blizzard to start supporting warlock tanking. I don't have friends to run dungeons with me and I can't queue for tank as a lock, so no lock tanking for mr. checking facts
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by destia View Post
    Is this for reals?
    You dont know?

Warlock tanking is quite viable now...the only real problem holding us back, is are taunt is currently bugged, and does not effect raid bosses, however still effects everything else, including dungeon bosses.

10+ Year Old Account
    You dont know?

Warlock tanking is quite viable now...the only real problem holding us back, is are taunt is currently bugged, and does not effect raid bosses, however still effects everything else, including dungeon bosses.
    For what I know, it's not bugged but working as intended: It's a provoke like pets have and no taunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmi View Post
    For what I know, it's not bugged but working as intended: It's a provoke like pets have and no taunt.
    it's not about pet taunts, it's about warlock taunts. when you go dark apotheosis, your soushatter turns into a taunt.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

Deleted
    Heroic dungeons are a joke now, you don't really need to stack stats to tank in them. I'd go stamina>int>mastery though. Because our DA mastery scaling is still terribad.
    Our taunt doesn't work on raid bosses, so except a few LFR bosses there's no real application there.
    (Also there're still some dungeon bosses immune to our taunt but I don't know why)
    Last edited by mmoc79b51183ff; 2012-11-19 at 12:50 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post
    it's not about pet taunts, it's about warlock taunts. when you go dark apotheosis, your soushatter turns into a taunt.
    The DA "taunt" we get acts like a pet "taunt". They can't taunt bosses neither.

You dont know?

Any vids of warlock tanking heroic dungeons?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Starfighter View Post
    Any vids of warlock tanking heroic dungeons?
    Yes...lots, even far back as Pandaria Beta I believe.

Deleted
    I tanked the Spirit Kings in 10 normal mode (with 2 healers). Maybe I'll upload the video. It was faily easy anyway. Reaching 626.8k hp (487ilvl)
    Last edited by mmoc79b51183ff; 2012-11-20 at 08:28 PM.

Mastery, because it is the only thing that actually improves our mitigation.
    Stamina, because percentile based healing is our secondary defense.
    Spellpower, because Harvest Life and Fury Ward.

At one point I specifically tried to toy around with warlock tanking, and managed to push my Mastery up to almost 13,000. This was very viable in every heroic dungeon, though criticals from bosses could still hurt quite a bit. I ran Grim Sac with Soul Link for the additional 20% health, and vigorously abused Harvest Life, Mortal Coil, and Glyphed Healthstone.

I was also able to successfully tank Cataclysm Raids, but I would not cut it in a MoP Raid.

I recall a blue post or a patch note stating that soulshatter no longer taunts bosses, along with earth elemental totem, army of undead and other various taunts not tied to proper tank spec

Tried to find it, but lost in the sea of blue posts
    Last edited by Ulvhedner; 2012-11-20 at 10:03 PM.

Spirit kings 10 normal.

And me video from Xin the Weaponmaster hc.

Both from beta. Write in google/youtube warlock tank and you can get many info about it.

I've been doing some DA tank for the lulz in heroics and tanked once Garalon in RF. I wont even try tanking proper raid bosses for now but in heroics all healers say im actually easier to heal than some "official" tanks.
    The stats are basically the same from normal demo. You shouldn't aim for tank specific stats since you won't be able to do more than 5 man HC bosses or some very particular "half-tank" roles in raids.

Garalon was a lol. Since its dmg is reduced in RF i got a big "awe" from the raid just for taking Furious Swipe the hole fight

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikrekot View Post
    Spirit kings 10 normal.
    Both from beta. Write in google/youtube warlock tank and you can get many info about it.
    Same boss, from live now:

Boss is easy, but at least some tanking is doable, despite the nerfs.
    Still your dps in DA is way too low to make it worthwhile.
    Last edited by mmoc79b51183ff; 2012-11-22 at 09:49 PM.