Advice for Gara'jal [Resto]

Hello!

Yesterday my guild and i were traying to down Gara'jal, everything was working fine until i got the voodoo debuff and had to stay in the normal realm, i could'nt keep up the tank and the other 2 voodoo'd people due to the high damage the tank was taking and went omm too soon
    Here is my armory:
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ditos/advanced

Yep forgot to reforge a ring and enchant the lfr gloves
    i was thinking to remove Ancestral Swiftness and put on the Echo of the elements for the extra heals and reforge to haste
    here is the tank's armory:
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Qixz/advanced
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...tlazy/advanced
    i know the tank's gear is not the best and are missing lot of enchants and reforges but they are still fresh
    any advice are welcome :3

thank you in advance

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you using 2 or 3 healers? We did it with 3 the other day because we figured that with only 2 healers we'd be subject to too much RNG.

You don't have very much spirit, I see. Some people say that they can work with so little, but it's probably not for everyone.

Deleted
    Don't forget that earth elemental channel (with PE) gives a flat 20% damage reduction for a minute and not just a healing throughput increase, it is designed for such moments.

we're doing it with 2 healers at the moment
    and yeah i use the earth elemental channel on those crusial moments

My guild 2 heals it...

Whichever healer doesn't get voodoo goes down into spirit realm, heals up the dps that went down, including themselves and leaves immediately to assist with the healer above.
    I prefer Echo or Elemental Mastery over Ancestral Swiftness in that tier. If you're suffering with mana a bit, go with Echo but if you've got the mana to spare go with Elemental Mastery it's great for burst healing(if you can afford the mana). Be sure everyone is nice and grouped up for aoe heals.

Glyph of riptide, I've found, tends to oom more quicker than if I don't use it. I would replace that with the water shield glyph to help with mana.
    Be sure you're using HST on CD, use UE w/ HR, don't be cautious with your cooldowns, this is something I've had to break habit of...but you have a ton of cool downs at your disposal: HST, HTT, SLT, Elemental Mastery(if you spec for it), Ascendance, your Stone Bulwark, Fire/Earth ele totems...by the time you use all of them at least once, your dps should have the boss down. Your dps should also keep the adds in check down below, which will help greatly with the amount of damage going on up top.

Generally I've gone with 3 healers with runs on my alts for security, but it does tend to run close to the enrage depending on the rest of the group.

Two suggestions for 2 healing, be loose with your CDs, if you feel that people are spiking too much to keep up with effectively, drop a Healing Tide and so on. Gara'jal is a fight where your mana regeneration should mean very little because of the Mp5 buff you pick up each time you heal downstairs, once you're back up you're able to continue using fast/expensive heals for the next 15~ seconds without concern, because of this, you may want to prioritise getting people healed up quickly downstairs and then returning ASAP in order to relieve the healer upstairs.

Raid damage on this fight is mainly influenced by the DPS's ability to clean up Shadowy Minions, if too many are up it'll hurt. If you have a rogue, the Spiritual Grasps can be temporarily stopped by dropping a Smoke Bomb on the raid.

As for the Talent Changes, unless you're going for a certain haste cap that you need the additional 5% for, I would suggest Elemental Mastery if you want more burst on demand. I have no experience with Echo as Resto, but I've read that the proc chance is 6%, as long as you could deal with the loss in casting speed it would probably be a decent move for additional healing without costing you more mana.
    Last edited by Knude; 2012-11-15 at 04:45 PM.

I've also only ever done it with 2 healers and had no problems at all. If I was you I'd leave Ancestral Swiftness as the 5% haste does help.

And as soon as you hit around 200k mana pop the good old mana tide totem to bring it back up a little but don't pop it unless your HST is on CD.

When you go to the spirit realm just spam Healing Surge on the dps, I found that the best and quickest way to do it, also use Unleash Elements then use a HS, most the time it crits for 250-300k and one of the dps can leave immediately. Also, maybe leave a little Healing Rain in the group before you leave the normal world to help the other healer out.

As for when you are on top, healers and ranged should be tightly grouped up and just spam heal everyone, mana hasn't been a problem at all for me on this fight. And your gear is far better than mine! *covers face*

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Shammyspice View Post
    My guild 2 heals it...

Whichever healer doesn't get voodoo goes down into spirit realm, heals up the dps that went down, including themselves and leaves immediately to assist with the healer above.
    I prefer Echo or Elemental Mastery over Ancestral Swiftness in that tier. If you're suffering with mana a bit, go with Echo but if you've got the mana to spare go with Elemental Mastery it's great for burst healing(if you can afford the mana). Be sure everyone is nice and grouped up for aoe heals.

Glyph of riptide, I've found, tends to oom more quicker than if I don't use it. I would replace that with the water shield glyph to help with mana.
    Be sure you're using HST on CD, use UE w/ HR, don't be cautious with your cooldowns, this is something I've had to break habit of...but you have a ton of cool downs at your disposal: HST, HTT, SLT, Elemental Mastery(if you spec for it), Ascendance, your Stone Bulwark, Fire/Earth ele totems...by the time you use all of them at least once, your dps should have the boss down. Your dps should also keep the adds in check down below, which will help greatly with the amount of damage going on up top.
    Basically don't follow any of this post except heals leaving immediately to assist and use your cooldowns (great plan, use abilities). You should not suffer from mana on this fight at all. DO NOT USE WATER SHIELD GLYPH ON THIS FIGHT there is no damage that procs it making it the only fight in this instance where you shouldn't use this glyph.

What you should do. Everyone should always be stacked on the boss so you should have UE HR down at all times, especially make sure this is down before you leave for spirit realm. I make great use of riptide and Healing Surge on this fight since you basically have unlimited mana. Use mtt early as its next to useless down the line. Int flask.

Thank you all <3
    also one more question!
    is worth to talent to echo of the elements for this fight?

I'd go with Echo or elemental mastery...I like EM 'cause it's "on demand" and I don't have to hope for a proc on echo when I really need it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would really love to see your WoL so I can see which spells you are using, because I 2man healed it with full blue heroic gear and a few boe 476 epics. You have much much much better gear than me so I don't really understand how it's possible for you to oom yourself. The only thing I can point at from what I curently see is that you are using the spiritwalker glyph instead of the riptide glyph. The riptide glyph is maybe our best glyph atm, as it makes us able to keep up the Tidal Waves buff all the time, meaning that you can spam healing waves, greater healing waves and even healing surge and in most cases gain mana on the spells cast.

My approach when being solo outside: riptide the tank, do a GHW on him, HW on another, do a riptide on the third, then GHW him, before GHWing the second who's still missing HP, then pretty much rinse and repeat every 8th second. Also, spirit link totem + healing tide totem.... Use them when you see you won't reach the heal before a person dies. If you're saving them for the last 20%, remember that you're 2 healers then, with bloodlust and your healing-rain/chain heal, which also benefits from the Tidal Waves buff. If you still have problems, You should go random heroics and have as a goal to have above 90% mana at all times, that will help you practice which spells you can use when. If you still have problems, post WoL : p
    Why have a signature? What I just posted states how retarded I am anyways.

We two heal this fight as well. The only time I run into mana issues is if I get dolled two or three times in a row (if that's the case, I drop mana tide). Otherwise, remember that you have the regen buff coming out of the realm below. So....what I usually do is when coming out is spam glyphed riptide on everyone, otherwise you'll waste the regen by not spending the mana.

My general method of this fight is to keep UE/Healing Rain down on the raid that should be stacked on the boss. ES/Riptide on the current tank. Riptide on the dolled targets. Healing Stream down off cd. I use Healing Tide, Ascendance and Spirit Link early on so that they will be available again at the end. I use my Elementals for the 10% healing buff when I'm on top. When I go into downstairs realm, I riptide myself first so that I can start regen-ing. Healing Surge one dps twice, riptide them. Then healing surge twice on the second dps, then riptide them. Then healing surge myself last and one last riptide and get out. I can usually get out with 10 seconds on the timer. Then drop healing stream totem and spam glyphed riptide and healing surge until the mp5 buff goes away. Rinse and repeat.

Responses to some of the above posts:
    I do not agree that the riptide glyph is the best glyph a rshaman can use! At all! My hps suffers every fight that I have to use this glyph. It'll eat up your mana. I have no problem keeping a high uptime on tidal waves without it.

Also, I disagree that you should spec out of Ancestral Swiftness as some others have said. If you've hit the first haste breakpoint with that talent, then DO NOT spec out of it. The other two options that tier are not all that great.

Deleted
    When I did this boss on 10man we also easily two healed it. It's annoying when you get Voodoo and you can't go into realm like three times, that's when you gotta use low mana cost abilities. I found it easy at keeping HR up, spam LB on boss (tc glyph), and when Voodoo dmg is getting too high CH/HW them, while ignoring Riptide since that heals for too little and CH covers Tidal Waves.

Now I'm healing him on 25man, rarely go into spirit realm, so ye...all counts on your cooldowns and HR.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mavalynn View Post
    Responses to some of the above posts:
    I do not agree that the riptide glyph is the best glyph a rshaman can use! At all! My hps suffers every fight that I have to use this glyph. It'll eat up your mana. I have no problem keeping a high uptime on tidal waves without it.

Also, I disagree that you should spec out of Ancestral Swiftness as some others have said. If you've hit the first haste breakpoint with that talent, then DO NOT spec out of it. The other two options that tier are not all that great.
    Yeah I'm sorry for insinuating that my way is the BEST way. I was a bit tired when writing this, what I meant, in my own clumsy way of writing was that I find the riptide-glyph to be the best one for me, by far. And all in all, it comes down to each shamans playstyle.

PS: alot of shamans gets manaproblems from the riptide-glyph because they start treating riptide as a rejuvenation, and that wasn't the way I meant you should do it, it's merely to be able to spam your "free" heals like HW faster.

PPS: I agree on the ancestral swiftness aswell, don't go away from it!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniwa View Post
    PPS: I agree on the ancestral swiftness aswell, don't go away from it!
    If I see Shamans without Ancestral Swiftness then I facepalm, first of all it reduces our Haste first breakpoint, so we can focus on Mastery/Crit till gear will put us to the second breakpoint. I do not understand Shamans who still reforge/regem to get 3-4k haste as that is so inconvenient in my eyes and ignore Mastery and Critical. Not only that but the ability Ancestral Swiftness is so good, instant Healing Rain, GHW, HW, HS, CH I can't go without it.

Back ontop of the haste, yes you get extra tick on your Riptide, Rain and totems, but is these already like mostly overhealing unless you are on a fight like Garalon where overhealing is like 0%? Mastery is good once you hit 50%, then I just feel Crit is stronger when it comes to Ancestral Awakening, Resurgence and crits on HW/GHW when you are on fights where raid healing is low and you can spam these abilities to still make a difference.

Maybe it's just my opinion, but why go get so high at this expansion time?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathina View Post
    Maybe it's just my opinion, but why go get so high at this expansion time?
    Because some of us already can't reforge down below 2.5k haste and the whole 5% passive haste from AS is effectively wasted? Or do you still consider a 1 minute CD instant cast better than a 20 second bloodlust at that point?

The second breakpoint of 3764 haste with AS (htt/hst) is currently bugged and not working properly, so your only haste breakpoint with AS is 871 and all haste above that is pretty much wasted. Right now your own character has 389 secondary stat itemisation points that effectively do nothing for you, and those are only going to continue to increase as you continue getting gear (you can't avoid haste in certain slots regardless of your equipment choices). At a 2k haste point it no longer makes sense to grab AS for the passive bonus and by switching to EM you are only loosing an extra tick of earthliving weapon, while gaining a very powerful throughput cooldown.
    Last edited by mmocd0828b0993; 2012-11-18 at 11:23 AM.

Deleted
    Dude, u have very good gear, you really shouldn' t go oom if ur doing everything right.
    I can' t help much in terms of ur class as my shammy is still 85. But from a resto drood perspective, i mainly only have to heal the tank and 2 voodoo people, everyone else isn' t taking much damage, with simple aoe heals i can heal everyone and in oh shi* moments i use my flash heal (regrowth) .. and i still don' t go oom, cuz after the voodoo doll disappears i go inside the other realm and regain my mana to full. So u shouln' t be worried about mana in this fight as long as u go in the other realm to regain the mana, and as long as ur dps is killing a lot of adds in the othe realm.

10+ Year Old Account
    The 3764 haste cap is when you have counted in AS + Haste buff from raids btw. F.ex , you don't use AS to get to the 3764 cap.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blindlad View Post
    Because some of us already can't reforge down below 2.5k haste and the whole 5% passive haste from AS is effectively wasted? Or do you still consider a 1 minute CD instant cast better than a 20 second bloodlust at that point?

The second breakpoint of 3764 haste with AS (htt/hst) is currently bugged and not working properly, so your only haste breakpoint with AS is 871 and all haste above that is pretty much wasted. Right now your own character has 389 secondary stat itemisation points that effectively do nothing for you, and those are only going to continue to increase as you continue getting gear (you can't avoid haste in certain slots regardless of your equipment choices). At a 2k haste point it no longer makes sense to grab AS for the passive bonus and by switching to EM you are only loosing an extra tick of earthliving weapon, while gaining a very powerful throughput cooldown.
    Granted haste goes up with gear, I did say that, and I did read upon the haste totem bug, but this is just all confussing me. I already reforged to full haste/mastery and crit and do not see much of a difference, I think it's all preference and I believe gaining Haste will automatically come with gear. I fell for Crit atm more then Haste since Tidal Waves is up all time.
    Last edited by mmoc783674ddb9; 2012-11-18 at 05:05 PM.