strong pvp classes in rift?

hey, gonna try out rift and i love pvp, so i was trying to find out what are some of the stronger classes in rift right now? just so i can get an idea & a little bit of an edge this way im not rolling a gimp'd class for pvp lol thanks!

Whichever one has the skilled player behind it. Seriously.

I mean, right now some specs are not performing, but the expansion just released less than a week ago. I am almost positive there will be some balance changed incoming. Then when the roll out conquest again and see how classes are performing there, there will possibly be another round of tweaks. So really, as with any MMO, play what you enjoy, not what is the FOTM. Leveling can be brutal, don't pick a class that you think is the best for PvP, then end up not enjoying yourself, then having to re-roll and regear up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Right now, from what I've seen, Rogues (specifically whatever the popular Archery spec is) are top in damage in the Warfronts I've been in. I haven't seen many Warriors though, maybe once or twice in the top 5.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Avora View Post
    hey, gonna try out rift and i love pvp, so i was trying to find out what are some of the stronger classes in rift right now? just so i can get an idea & a little bit of an edge this way im not rolling a gimp'd class for pvp lol thanks!
    If you want to play rift for pvp quit whilst you are ahead

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nykolas View Post
    If you want to play rift for pvp quit whilst you are ahead
    Why? Because the game favours Warfronts instead of the e-peen of 1v1.

There is no "god" class at the moment (bit early to tell), but Trion don't nerf PvP to the detriment of PvE, ever. As there are 6 different roles / specs with multiple combinations of souls (8 now, I think), and it is so easy to swap out a spec/role on-the-fly, Warfronts are balanced according to a necessity for range, melee, heals, support and fast tanks (if flag carrier).

PvP is a TEAM effort in Rift and I thoroughly enjoy it.

Trion don't balance the game for Arena.

It does, however, have some pretty fun Warfronts in the form of domination, capture the flag, martyrdom. It also has Conquest - a Huge Battleground with hundreds of players similar to GW2 WvWvW and also PvP Rifts. It also has no flying mounts, so on a PvP server, you will find people out in the world as there are many, many daily raid, PvP quests and objectives.

There is a "World" in lift - alive with players.

I don't play a heckuva lot of PvP, but Mages, Rogues, Warriors traditionally have done quite well. I think Clerics have always lagged behind, but that is probably because I just suck at PvP :P
    Last edited by theWocky; 2012-11-19 at 06:36 AM.

WoW doesnt epeen on 1v1 either, actually wow has never been about 1v1.
    People are just stupid enough to not understand.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Otaka View Post
    WoW doesnt epeen on 1v1 either, actually wow has never been about 1v1.
    People are just stupid enough to not understand.
    With all due respect, that is exactly what it is about - if not, why all the hate for Frost Mages (at one stage)? Or the complete homogenization of all classes?

Oh, no! Fear is overpowered as you can run for hours and doesn't break on damage (recent whine).

Each class used to stand out - noticeably in Vanilla and TBC on PvP servers. Then, it all changed. What happened? Arena.

Class balance re-adjustments had little to do with PvE - It was a lot to do with PvP.

If they wanted to adopt the "bring the player, not the class", then they should have rather just given more variety in specs and made talent swaps easier, earlier in the game. There was no need to destroy the identity of each class.

Trion will address issues where a class is essentially a "god" - like Cleric's were for flag carriers, but other than severe flaws, they focus on balancing for PvE and catering to varied play-style.

I absolutely loved WoW, but what's so special about my druid now compared to other classes? Nothing. He can shape-shift and have the illusion of being different - other than that, he's the same as pretty much every other tank.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by theWocky View Post
    Why? Because the game favours Warfronts instead of the e-peen of 1v1.

There is no "god" class at the moment (bit early to tell), but Trion don't nerf PvP to the detriment of PvE, ever. As there are 6 different roles / specs with multiple combinations of souls (8 now, I think), and it is so easy to swap out a spec/role on-the-fly, Warfronts are balanced according to a necessity for range, melee, heals, support and fast tanks (if flag carrier).

PvP is a TEAM effort in Rift and I thoroughly enjoy it.

Trion don't balance the game for Arena.

It does, however, have some pretty fun Warfronts in the form of domination, capture the flag, martyrdom. It also has Conquest - a Huge Battleground with hundreds of players similar to GW2 WvWvW and also PvP Rifts. It also has no flying mounts, so on a PvP server, you will find people out in the world as there are many, many daily raid, PvP quests and objectives.

There is a "World" in lift - alive with players.

I don't play a heckuva lot of PvP, but Mages, Rogues, Warriors traditionally have done quite well. I think Clerics have always lagged behind, but that is probably because I just suck at PvP :P
    What i am saying is, if you play this game only for the pvp content prepare to get butthurt, i have played since beta, trust me when i say if you are looking for rift to fill the pvp gap then you are going to get very frustrated and pissed pretty soon. pve is the main priority in this game.

What i am saying is, if you play this game only for the pvp content prepare to get butthurt, i have played since beta, trust me when i say if you are looking for rift to fill the pvp gap then you are going to get very frustrated and pissed pretty soon. pve is the main priority in this game.
    This. Rift is PvE oriented first and foremost. That's not to say the PvP is horrible, but it shows that it come second and is designed to be easier for a PvE player to jump into it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not trying to be rude (but this will sound rude since we can't convey tone in text), but that is a non-answer. Even if this game does not focus on PvP, there are still answers to the OP's question.

The problem that has universally plagued these types of questions (and MMO PvP as a whole) is that this is not a solo experience. Being that each Warfront is a team based encounter, you need a variety of classes to fill a variety of roles. What people are typically asking is, "What class excels at 1v1" so you can roam around and knock off stragglers. However, there is an answer to the OP's question. Its just long and complicated.

As I said previously, I see a lot of Rogues about, and they typically all have bows and occaissionally bust out a lute. So I know that some form of Marksman/Bard combo at least is at play there. I also see Clerics topping the healing charts, so that tells me if I want to heal I should head down the Cleric path. And I do see Warriors, but they have all been really hard to kill, I.E. tanks.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    I'm not trying to be rude (but this will sound rude since we can't convey tone in text), but that is a non-answer. Even if this game does not focus on PvP, there are still answers to the OP's question.

The problem that has universally plagued these types of questions (and MMO PvP as a whole) is that this is not a solo experience. Being that each Warfront is a team based encounter, you need a variety of classes to fill a variety of roles. What people are typically asking is, "What class excels at 1v1" so you can roam around and knock off stragglers. However, there is an answer to the OP's question. Its just long and complicated.

As I said previously, I see a lot of Rogues about, and they typically all have bows and occaissionally bust out a lute. So I know that some form of Marksman/Bard combo at least is at play there. I also see Clerics topping the healing charts, so that tells me if I want to heal I should head down the Cleric path. And I do see Warriors, but they have all been really hard to kill, I.E. tanks.
    Im not offended in the slightest :P opinions are opinions all to their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Avora View Post
    Saboteur.

Alot of people think rogue marksman. Well I'm almost always number 1 on the charts with my sab. Granted I've been playing saboteur since launch (yea even when it was terrible for 6 patches). Alot of people overlook sab cause you don't see a rain of arrows, you just go boom. Its a slightly more complicated spec to play and you need to use an entire hotbar to really maximize damage, but its alot of fun. Bear in mind you will be a bit squishy if you are going to maximum damage. And you have no escapes other than break free and your only movement ability is the riftstalker port.

10+ Year Old Account
    yes, i do ofc agree

The PvE is the main emphasis, but I still get endless fun out of Warfronts, PvP rifts, etc.
    Last edited by theWocky; 2012-11-21 at 03:35 PM.

Deleted
    Each class used to stand out - noticeably in Vanilla and TBC on PvP servers. Then, it all changed. What happened? Arena.
    Because naked rogues with level 1 daggers and naked frost mages facerolling fully geared opponents was really balanced. Arena is the worst thing that happened to pvp in wow but it did bring a good thing: resilience. Resilience made sure class mechanics can never be used by themselves and nothing else, to give a huge advantage in pvp. Sure, 1v1 isn't balanced even now but you will NEVER see naked characters beating fully geared characters.

On topic.
    Rogue: marksman
    Warrior: warlord
    Mage: dominator
    Cleric: drawing a blank here as no cleric dps spec is actually good for pvp, unless you want to heal, which I got nothing to comment about as I don't heal, ever.

Ofcourse, the above soul trees are just the main trees for your build and they go with other trees.
    Last edited by mmoc213777db2f; 2012-11-26 at 08:51 PM.

Class balance re-adjustments had little to do with PvE - It was a lot to do with PvP.

If they wanted to adopt the "bring the player, not the class", then they should have rather just given more variety in specs and made talent swaps easier, earlier in the game. There was no need to destroy the identity of each class.

I absolutely loved WoW, but what's so special about my druid now compared to other classes? Nothing. He can shape-shift and have the illusion of being different - other than that, he's the same as pretty much every other tank.
    This. This is precisely the reason I quit wow. My class was never op, but I loved it nonetheless. I loved the style of it, the mechanics. Then they made it op and got everyone whining about it, but they wrecked it at the same time. The class was good and you started seeing a lot more people playing the spec, but it was no fun anymore. It was like every other class: a race to see who can mash buttons fastest and win the dps race. Great gaming experience!

Anyways, looking forward to trying out Rift pvp, even if most people are so adamant about staying away from it, some seem to be thoroughly enjoying it.

But don't believe for a second any company that says their game is not intended to be balanced around 1v1. That simply means there is no intention of ever balancing it. I actually played a Balance Druid for quite some time in wow and loved it for precisely that reason: there was no class against whom you were useless and it always came down to skill. On my mage, on the other hand, running into a rogue or hunter meant instant death... oh well, it was fun while it lasted, is all you could say.

I only hope rift doesn't play that way and, if it does, that there is some spec you can swap into that will even out the odds.