Stood in the Fire SaltLakeAtrocity's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Amber Shaper. WoLs is showing Demo as the primary spec for the fight?

Just curious, trying out first couple pulls on amber shaper with affliction MS. But noticing most of the warlock rankings on the fight are demo locks. Is there something to this im not seeing?
    -- We'll Dance As The Palaces Burn --

Deleted
    Considering that all these top locks dmg are actually from Construct form (just by seeing the dmg from Smash and Amber Strike), I don't think tracking warlock rankings on this fight is the right way to determine the best spec here.

Is demo mastery dmg bonus still applying in construct form or something?
    Last edited by mmoc79b51183ff; 2012-11-19 at 07:34 AM.

Stood in the Fire SaltLakeAtrocity's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Normally I'd completely agree, but there's not one lock in any spec but demo in the top 200.
    -- We'll Dance As The Palaces Burn --

That fight is too heavily influenced by the Construct vehicle to discern a trend about which spec to play.

Gershuun @ Borean Tundra US - Interface & Macros Moderator

While the top demo locks may be doing more damage than the top affliction warlocks, this could easily be as the 2 people above me say due to more uptime on the monstrosity.
    If you however take #40 of each specc you will see that affliction is doing more damage than demonology

There was an exploit out last week where people used Fire Mages to spread combustion from the boss who had a lot of stacks to the add in P2. I'm not sure if there was something you could do as Demo but it sure isn't better than Affli on that fight. I'm pretty sure even Destro is viable because of the constant cleaving.

Quote Originally Posted by Dastey View Post
    If you however take #40 of each specc you will see that affliction is doing more damage than demonology
    Because everyone including their grandmothers are playing Affli.

From limited attempts I've been doing, with 484 gear, p1-p2 with no shifting into vehicle I'm able to pull 80k dps as Demo, and 90k dps as Affli (with pet). That is with trying to get as many targets in Guldans and keeping Corr ticking on two targets via slashes. Two target cleave where you can't even get decent amount of Doom off one of them just don't seem to be able to beat Affli.

prolly bc more people play aff

My 25 man downed this fight last night. I was Demo and didn't get turned into a construct at all: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-nj...28&e=5983#Xorn

It does good cleave damage on the constructs in the first two phases, and continues to do so in phase 3, but it's not exactly useful damage. All in all, Demo is pretty good for the first two phases, but it's numbers get inflated in the last phase due to useless cleaving from HoG and the FG/WG

SoC is king on ambers so I don't really see any reason to play Demo on this fight as long as you're able to pull more single target as Affli.

Also keep in mind the way this fight works there is very little execute time. I am not huge into Affliction but I'm sure this hurts a bit when it comes to ranking.

But as others have stated, I'm sure it comes down to luck (whoever gets vehicle first)

10+ Year Old Account
    Its very easy to get top, if you are one of the later ones to get Ambertized. Having mannoroths fury and doing hand of gul'dan +fel storm with both felguards will increase your dps tremendously. also, you might have them wasting fury in meta with immo aura

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SaltLakeAtrocity View Post
    Normally I'd completely agree, but there's not one lock in any spec but demo in the top 200.
    That is not true. Affliction at least on heroic is the superior spec for this fight.

15+ Year Old Account
    Top dmg as demo = felstorm + chaos wave on the boss + everything standing next to it.

Quote Originally Posted by kosuko View Post
    Top dmg as demo = felstorm + chaos wave on the boss + everything standing next to it.
    It's a DPS loss to use Chaos Wave. Felstorm will usually hit max 2-3 targets due to ambers usually being spread out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonkura View Post
    It's a DPS loss to use Chaos Wave. Felstorm will usually hit max 2-3 targets due to ambers usually being spread out.
    In phase 3 when everyone stacks, it gets pretty dumb. Any remaining ambers with 3-5 constructs are plenty of useless targets to pad meters on.

Deleted
    Fanatik beat me to it : Useless splash damage at the end.

So nothing to see, move along, it's just meter padding.

I have heard that if you are in meta when you get turned into a construct the construct gets your meta damage bonuses. I cannot confirm this though just rumor I heard.

I have a theory regarding amber constructs and demo - they appear to be getting far more use of smash per second compared to affliction.

This leads me to believe that the meta auto attack function is granting the amber constructs extra attacks.

Once 5.1 hits we'll be able to see if this theory holds true, as demo's smashes per second should then line up with other specs.

This will probably mean converted demo locks will see a decrease in DPS here.
    Last edited by klogaroth; 2012-11-26 at 08:27 PM.