Poll: Satisfied with your hunter?

Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

State of Hunters

Am I the only one not satisfied with hunters? I'm not a big BM fan and never will be. Being forced to play this spec for just about every fight AND pvp is extremely irritating. Pvp wise there's too much pet managing since people are smart enough to focus our pets first now, and way too many buttons. Pve wise we have to press more buttons than other classes and still dont perform as well and mostly end up middle/bottom of the charts.

Idk, I just dont find this class fun anymore and may just reroll
    Last edited by Tariz; 2012-11-19 at 08:17 AM.

1. No one is forcing you to play BM unless you are in one of those hardcore guilds that basically require maximum DPS all the time. Survival does slightly less DPS (3% I think) so it's not a big deal in semi-hardcore or lesser serious guilds.
    2. Survival has many advantages and performs better than BM on some fights.
    3. You can go ahead and reroll if you feel like it, if we have to convince you to continue playing your Hunter, then you obviously don't want to play a Hunter anymore.

But to answer your question to as to whether I'm satisfied with my current Hunter, I pretty much am. Sometimes I rage when I don't get Thrill of the Hunt procs on serious AOE when I need them, and sometimes I feel Explosive Shot and Kill Shot should hit a bit harder than they currently do, but other than that, Hunters are fine. That felt like a run on sentence..

Im nether satisfied or not satisfied i don't PvP much.
    Maybe some random world PvP here and there maybe a BG to two if i feel like it.

Im mainly interested in PvE and as for PvE its kind of meh.
    im sort of on par with most of the dps classes unless i utterly fail.

I don't like being a BM hunter tho but i will live.
    Until one of the other two specs catch up later on.
    witch i hope they will do soon as i really don't like BM.

This is quite a weird question as I don't think anyone is ever fully happy with their class.
    Nevertheless I'll give this a shot.
    I've never liked BM, so I currently don't play it in PvE, as I get good dps with survival and I have more than one button and don't have to take into account where some retarded pet with crappy AI is all the time. I would also like to see MM viable in PvP again, but that's another story.

In PvP we have overpowered burst, yes, but it's mainly due to a stampede bug. In higher PvP where people have resi hunters grow pretty much useless (See ammount of hunters in BWC). Not only that, but that same burst is getting nerfed in 5.1. I really hope they do something to fix hunter damage so that we can be viable in PvP again (even though that's not what I usually do).

In all honesty, I wouldn't mind a total overhaul of hunters for a future expansion or something. It's quite a simplistic and annoying system that we use and as I mentioned before, pets are quite unresponsive.

I am satisfied, but not completely. I like the new mechanics of BM, albeit being heavily CD based has its downsides(Demo Locks in FL lol), however MM is a fustercluck and needs to be redone completely :x..

Our overall DPS seems low for what we do at max performance, compared to say Fire Mage who have a much easier rotation, where the only skill cap is managing your Combustion damage, which is fairly easy to learn once you get into raid gear with more crit.

I voted unsatisfied. We're not super bleeding edge and only around World 300 or so, but there are clear issues with hunters.

My major issue is that there are many fights where our pets (around 50% of our dmg in BM) are not receiving the buffs the should (even though they finally got Garalon). And it is upsetting that we have to plead with the developers to get that, and it only is changed once top guilds start sitting hunters. Pets are not affected by Sha of Fear, Will of Emperor melee damage, Stone Guard, partially Garajal (we get mastery), pretty sure they don't get the buff from Empress, etc. It's not a huge deal, and many hunters will say it is not, but there really is an issue when half of our dps is not affected by certain buffs. It really does not make sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Speaking strictly from a raiding standpoint, I'm mildly dissatisfied. The class plays great, I love our mechanics and rotations (BM rotation blows, but it's still better than most classes). The only issue is that we are very poorly tuned, and can't really keep up with Mages/Rogues/Locks/DKs. I'm the best geared DPS in my guild by a fair margin, I put up top 10 Survival parses on a regular basis, and I struggle to be middle of the pack most of the time. It's pretty depressing.

I love the class, I really do. I just wish we got some small buffs so I was actually competitive.

hunters are in a fantastically strong place right now, in pvp and pve.

just because you are too lazy to manage your pets properly, you find bm not fun..

there are classes out there with actual problems.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raldazzar View Post
    hunters are in a fantastically strong place right now, in pvp and pve.
    Do you have some actual data to support your argument?

10+ Year Old Account
    Been BM since BC, never touched MM, and Surv has always been a fun switch every now and then.

Overall, yes. I am still satisfied with Hunters.

Admittedly though, wish BM wasn't top damage right now. Tired of seeing people re-roll to BM for the "LawlsBestDPS!" Give it back to MM....not by much though...like 2-3% tops!
    US - Eitrigg - <Bank Space is Magic>
    Delupi, Amoora, Jisu, Beahru, Rusa, Yeun, Neralyis, Usii, Razzil, Zaramja, Oshaz, Shawnie, Iziss, Gearsi(A)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tariz View Post
    Am I the only one not satisfied with hunters? I'm not a big BM fan and never will be. Being forced to play this spec for just about every fight AND pvp is extremely irritating. Pvp wise there's too much pet managing since people are smart enough to focus our pets first now, and way too many buttons. Pve wise we have to press more buttons than other classes and still dont perform as well and mostly end up middle/bottom of the charts.

Idk, I just dont find this class fun anymore and may just reroll
    I am not sure how I feel about the hunter. I really do love playing the class, but admittedly BM feels very clunky to me. I prefer Survival a lot. What I DO absolutely love is the utility that comes with the new talent system. For example, for WoTE, I play a certain strange mixture of BM and Surv and am comparably happy with it. The ability to respecc for every boss basically is pretty cool. I do feel that it requires a lot more concentration and 'skill' to play a hunter well now than it did during WOTLK or Cata.

However, I sometimes feel a little stupid during the execute-phases when my KS hits for 50k or so. Explo, imho, could use a little buff as well. But overall, I am pretty much happy. Just in Arena I feel like "omfg wtf so many buttons aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh help help what am I doing, oh noes?" But, more than likely that's just me being a newb and not the fact that anything is wrong with hunters in the arena. :P

Playing a hunter now requires more skill than ever. I simply hate the BM cooldown-based playstyle, so so far I can compare SV and MM to the rest. And God they are difficult. You need to stay focused for procces, make sure about having enough focus (seriously, what other class has that? Like Shadow Priest who can't cast Mind Blast because he used Mind Flay too much), Survival needs to track Black Arrow closely, MM needs to make sure Steady Focus is being kept at lowest possible effort, both specs need to use their Focus Refills as rarely as possible, since they do horrible damage. And I wouldn't complain, if there would be a nice reward in DPS for all that, but nope. You can do your rotation perfectly, with great timing and cooldown usage, and still be behind others in SV and basically healing the boss with MM.

Blizzard, I love new hunters, I'm glad those who wanted BM back have it, but please, let us have at least a chance of beating mages. Thats our main course

Deleted
    Hmm lets recap our class
    - Bugged as fuck with pets on a lot of encounters, much of it was (finally) fixed but random pet deaths still hurt really bad
    - Has a large amount of short CDs / keybinds to manage thanks to pandaland
    - Does low DPS except on pure standstill tunneling fights where we're mediocre
    - Has no cleave ability which is annoying compared to classes like rogues / warriors / mages
    - Gets out-dps'd by hybrids with far greater utility like off-heals (druid / shaman / priest / paladin), combat-rez (druids), free self-rez (shamans), free self-healing (lol second wind), free and permanent "Argent Defender" (DKs, yes I know this is 3min cd) or even the ability to tank for a while (druid again HOTW) and thats not even mentioning their ability to swap spec and become whatever your raid needs.

So no, not satisfied. More buttons to press for a lesser DPS results while not being able to do anything else. If you don't believe the DPS part you can just check 25H raidbot (top 100 overall parses) where you'll notice that we're basically worst of all classes (and don't even go spec wise and tell me "omg but frost mage is also low" as they can just swap to proper spec and blow any hunter out of the water, not to mention if we'd be retarded and go MM).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Hippo View Post
    Do you have some actual data to support your argument?
    Of course he doesn't. He's probably just hurt he got beaten by a hunter in an LFR group -> giving him the opinion that hunters are fantastic.

According to World of Logs hunters suck I love to play my hunter but Blizz does not give us the possibility to compete with mages or warlocks. If you have players with similar skills in your raid group, hunter will be always below them. In my group I'm always in top, but I have bad mages and mediocre lock. I always beat mages in my group ;] But this is an exception to the normal state.

I'm lvling mage because I'm tired of what they're doing with hunters.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Okacz View Post
    Playing a hunter now requires more skill than ever. I simply hate the BM cooldown-based playstyle, so so far I can compare SV and MM to the rest. And God they are difficult. You need to stay focused for procces, make sure about having enough focus (seriously, what other class has that?
    As having a Hunter (Main) and Warrior at max level, I can say that arms is more complicated to play than either SV or BM at the moment. Tracking TFB and SD procs constantly is far harder (read: interesting) than any LnL or Focus Fire business.
    I'm seriously considering making my warrior my main as of right now it's much more fun to play.

I'm happy that we're not totally uncompetitive. I think we are inline with the normal DDs, it's just that there are a few classes that regularly stand out. (WL, Mage, SP,DK...) and we have no chance against. the only thing hunters are exceptionally good at, is sustained AoE dmg on many targets as SV.
    in cleave / few adds or no add situations we are a bit undertuned.
    I like switching specc for different situations!
    A overall dmg buff by 5-10% would be more than enough to put us in a sweet spot. (MM a bit more then SV, SV a bit more then BM)
    or even better: nerf the "outstanding" classes down to a normal level. multidot classes that rape meters on "a few add" fights should not also be top DDs on singletargetfights.

I love my hunter.

- I enjoy not having a deadzone anymore
    - I LOVE that I can make my favorite pet a tank or DPS depending on what I need
    - I can solo old content for fun, gold, and challenges
    - Dailies go much quicker with ranged pulling and Misdirect than it would as any other class

And in 5.1, they're fixing two of the most obnoxious things about the class:

- Steady Shot / Cobra Shot while moving (good riddance Aspect of the Fux)
    - Extending Improved Steady Shot to 20 seconds (yes, I still play Marks, don't judge me, Monkey)

I don't mean to say that any complaints about DPS or raid viability are unjust, but people have a LOT to be thankful for when it comes to hunters and their current state. I mean, you used to have to...

- Rely on your Quiver for attack speed
    - Carry ARROWS
    - Actually level your pet to match your level
    - Carry mana potions (lol)

Things could be a LOT worse guys. They have been much worse. Be thankful hunters are as good as they are, or go play another class.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skygoneblue View Post
    I love my hunter.

- I enjoy not having a deadzone anymore
    - I LOVE that I can make my favorite pet a tank or DPS depending on what I need
    - I can solo old content for fun, gold, and challenges
    - Dailies go much quicker with ranged pulling and Misdirect than it would as any other class

And in 5.1, they're fixing two of the most obnoxious things about the class:

- Steady Shot / Cobra Shot while moving (good riddance Aspect of the Fux)
    - Extending Improved Steady Shot to 20 seconds (yes, I still play Marks, don't judge me, Monkey)

I don't mean to say that any complaints about DPS or raid viability are unjust, but people have a LOT to be thankful for when it comes to hunters and their current state. I mean, you used to have to...

- Rely on your Quiver for attack speed
    - Carry ARROWS
    - Actually level your pet to match your level
    - Carry mana potions (lol)

Things could be a LOT worse guys. They have been much worse. Be thankful hunters are as good as they are, or go play another class.
    Oh, so since we could be worse it must mean we're fine? Come on...

Also, the bad things you name were during a time where we were competitive DPS if you knew how to play rather than being getting our asses steamrolled by mediocre players that rolled a good class. I mean sure, the inventory slot loss was a pain and getting a new pet was annoying, but that did not affect our DPS negatively (please bring back aimed shot timing during autoshot swing timers, stutter stepping for autoshots, etc... if it means we can compete again).
    Last edited by mmoc56398eda29; 2012-11-19 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
    Oh, so since we could be worse it must mean we're fine? Come on...
    Don't put words in my mouth. That's not what I said.

Quote Originally Posted by Skygoneblue
    I don't mean to say that any complaints about DPS or raid viability are unjust...