Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Overall, playing WoW wasn't bad for me.

In the 4 years that I played, I loved every bit, I learned a lot, I learned how to game, I met a lot of different people and I still am in contact with some of those people.

I'd say it didn't ruin my life, I think it made it better.

Nice...links to private servers, but why even say that stuff on private servers ruined part of your life?...they are buggy as fuck and barely playable.

But to answer your question no game has had an effect on my life other than giving me something to do when i'm bored or it's raining outside (happens a lot in Scotland)
    It never interfered with my social life or work.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    So months or years worth of time spent on a certain type of hobby is a "waste" of time... but others it is not?

How is gaming any different from sports, or racing cars, or taking pictures of nature, or ANY HOBBY IN EXISTENCE?
    it's online, and that makes it the devil. obviously.

also relevant: http://twentytwowords.com/wp-content...nd-Dragons.jpg
    Last edited by Ssith; 2012-11-19 at 05:30 PM.

Deleted
    like what is said.. i can't exactly find the right words to describe the situation.. but i know some of you guys understood what i mean

2 years ish of world of warcraft. Most of that I'd say was well spent, but:
    -wasting an entire freaking month straight on that sea turtle
    -grinding gold upon gold upon gold for no reason other than boredom, only to find nothing really to spend it on after a point.

I quit after sitting there doing a daily and thinking "wait, why am I doing this again?"

RuneScape has been mostly casual playing, rather than that kind of obsessiveness, but at my peak somewhere around 4 years in (9 years now o_O) I was blatantly failing classes just to devote homework time to training skills. Thankfully that ended quickly.

RuneScape has been like a fine wine, improving with age. WoW felt more like a treadmill. At the end of the treadmill was something shiny and purple, but once you got it, it was immediately taken from you and placed as bait in front of a new treadmill.
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2012-11-20 at 04:14 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bionics View Post
    Saw WoW ruin a friend's life when he chose to raid Molten Core instead of pick up his girlfriend at the bus station after work. That was probably the most addicted he ever was... and the nadir of his playing tenure. I think at that point you have to take a step back and reassess what's going on if you're neglecting the well-being of others besides just yourself.
    you are absolutely right.. i will remember what you said because i am starting to be addicted on mmorpg game which is maestia.. but i think it is better for me to set my limitations from playing such games..

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    My life story, from high-school idiot to broke ass college student, WoW 4 life. The friends you make online are just as real as those offline, the things you learn just as valuable. Perception is everything.
    Naftc, "Hunters are the cheapest class in game and when played right are more deadly than a train plowing through a field of bunnies covered in napalm"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsuna View Post
    My life story, from high-school idiot to broke ass college student, WoW 4 life. The friends you make online are just as real as those offline, the things you learn just as valuable. Perception is everything.
    Our life story lal.. the only difference is you didn't try any mmorpg game beside WoW.. or Have you?

Deleted
    To be honest, no. I did play MMO's a bit too much for a few years but it was just a phase and sometimes I even miss it. Before I got into them, I used all my free time to read books and chat on MSN and just watch and do random stuff on the internet, like those small games. Wouldn't really say it was much better.

Just the opposite for me OP, when I dont have a game to dedicate my time to I feel like I'm wasting my time But then again I also dont have any ambitions to be social and have many friends etc.

Oh...and the boredome of not having said game to spend you're freetime on blows....so bored atm.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Quote Originally Posted by kalilyrr View Post
    Have you ever experienced to be hooked on a mmorpg game so much that almost took a part of your life? The time when you didn't have social life, night outs, going out of the room just to pay and get the food you ordered, stopped going to school or uni and you didn't even know if it is day or night outside?
    Yes, it happened to me (Story of my life pic)

2 years for*snip*
    1 year for Lineage 2 (private server)
    8 months for Requiem
    Another 2 years for WoW *snip*
    And now, I've been playing *snip* for 4 months…

I know some of you have also experienced or experiencing the same situation so what are those damn games?
    God i miss the days of the 50 person community of neverendless
    Last edited by Anakso; 2012-11-23 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bionics View Post
    Saw WoW ruin a friend's life when he chose to raid Molten Core instead of pick up his girlfriend at the bus station after work. That was probably the most addicted he ever was... and the nadir of his playing tenure. I think at that point you have to take a step back and reassess what's going on if you're neglecting the well-being of others besides just yourself.
    WoW did not ruin your friends life, your friend ruined his own life.

As a general comment, I don't understand why people no longer take responsibility for their actions. People always want to blame their actions or lack of actions on something else instead of taking responsibility. The game did not force him to play, he made that decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Your statement kind of contradicts itself. Your friend chose to ruin his life, WoW didn't make him do anything.

It's my belief that video games don't "ruin" anything. It's the gamer that chooses to ruin his or her life.
    "Guns don't kill people, people kill people."

---------- Post added 2012-11-21 at 08:33 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Seirith View Post
    WoW did not ruin your friends life, your friend ruined his own life.

As a general comment, I don't understand why people no longer take responsibility for their actions. People always want to blame their actions or lack of actions on something else instead of taking responsibility. The game did not force him to play, he made that decision.
    I think it is assumed that yes, the choice was his own. WoW ruining his life just sounds funnier than, "Well, he neglected his significant other by choosing to remain in the raid rather than parsing his time in an intelligent and scrupulous manner with regards to his playing time."

Have you never heard the phrase, "Alcohol ruined my life"? The majority of people wouldn't say "Oh man, the alcohol took anthropomorphic form, leapt out of the bottle, and proceeded to drag you through a world of shit?" No, we assume the person made bad choices with regards to overconsumption of alcohol. Same applies here.

MMORPGs never ruined my life. If anything, Runescape saved my life. When I was in jr. high I lived an hour away from my school in a neighborhood with no other kids. I'd go months without seeing my dad and my mom had crazy mood swings so talking to her was not an option. If it wasn't for that shitty Java game, I don't know what else I would have done with my spare time.

I didn't play any MMOs in my first year of high school (did sports & honors classes instead), but that was boring, so my 2nd year I started WoW. That kept me sane for another year until I met a group of friends to get in trouble with and then I just naturally stopped playing WoW in favor of the real world. I came back for the end of Wrath and start of Cata two years later when I was taking community college classes and living at home, but I'm at a point now where I haven't played since Firelands.

Three years on Final Fantasy XI, good times.

I've played RuneScape for a few years, but I wouldn't say it ruined my life. It was really fun!

Deleted
    World of Warcraft.

Well sometimes is fun, but to get there, you have to level, farm gear, and do things, which aren't fun at all. So to me, it's like 70% of time wasting, to get 30% of fun.

Ragnarok 7 years ago..... Did not attend some subjects just to play and sell items to other users.
    Maestia.....same reason
    Dota.....not MMORPG, but definitely ruined my education and my future.

Hahaha, now i need to fix my life and my future. Moral lesson, attend your subjects and be a responsible gamer. Take it from me. I learned my life lessons the hard way.

Most of us don't have a life to begin with, so how can a game necessarily ruin it :P?