Thread: tech help

tech help

hi everyone im new to rift, i signed up for my account , bougt the game, etc. when i try launching the game, it launches. i then get distorted graphics of all sorts then it goes to i guess what it would be the character selection screen and nothing loads... nothing AT ALL.

i thought i messed up by pressing play before the game finished downloading completly so i uninstalled and installed again, waited out the download process and still nothing. help ? :c

10+ Year Old Account
    I probably won't be much help, but maybe one of the other guys have experienced this. Are you PC drivers up to date?

Maybe post your PC spec, with video card description, etc.

Also, Operating System, etc.

updated my drivers last week, win7. Nvidia GT 555M. directX 11. i hope i can solve this, last year when rift reeased i had to quit playing it because it literally fried my brand new video card back then, form what i read is a problem they had. my pc starting to get really loud i hope is nothing like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by berdrek View Post
    updated my drivers last week, win7. Nvidia GT 555M. directX 11. i hope i can solve this, last year when rift reeased i had to quit playing it because it literally fried my brand new video card back then, form what i read is a problem they had. my pc starting to get really loud i hope is nothing like that.
    Your card is not overclocked, hey? I know my Gigabyte 560ti SOC was factory overclocked and I set it down 15mhz and set the fan to run high (just for safety) or so and it fixed a screen black-out thing. My new 660ti works fine.

My 560ti gave hassles in other games too, though. This downclock "fix" sorted out the problem permanently with no noticeable drop in fps for me.
    Last edited by theWocky; 2012-11-19 at 10:51 AM.

I had this same issue on my laptop and upgrading directx fixed it. I know you said you already did that but it may be worth a shot to try again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by berdrek View Post
    I would run a temp monitor and launch the game. Take note of the CPU and GPU temps. Very well could be overheating. I dont personally game on laptops because anything that is built to withstand gaming applications is going to run around $1500 to $2000. Even then, they generate a lot of heat.

You can also access the options and enable the low quality render, see if it makes any difference. But first, Id check temps. Youd be amazed at what overheating can do.

When SWTOR released I had an issue with the client randomly closing. No rhyme or reason as to when or why. After weeks of researching and blaming a poorly optimized client, I found the poorly optimized client was causing a overheating problem. Pulled the side off my case and the problem immediately went away as long as my temps were within the CPU's operating range.

Its no secret that Rift, even at 2.0, is a poorly optimized game client compared to other games. Temp is worth looking into, though not sure how you will solve it on a laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by theWocky View Post
    Your card is not overclocked, hey?
    Probably not, the "M" usually indicates a mobile card so it's likely the OP is playing on a Laptop and as such not likely overclocked.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dedweight View Post
    Probably not, the "M" usually indicates a mobile card so it's likely the OP is playing on a Laptop and as such not likely overclocked.
    Yeah, I saw that, but you never know. I sell a fair share of PC's /notebooks to customers that do things to their PC's that you would not expect.

A few years ago, I sold a bunch of components and a case to guy and asked him: Do you want us to put it together for a small fee?

No, he's okay - "he'll do it", he said. Phoned me a few hours later complaining of a burning smell. We opened the PC. Everything was shorted out.

You know those brass mounting screws that some cases supply for you to rest the mainboard on? He had screwed the mainboard directly to the flat surface of the case. I asked him why he did that and he said he assumed it was obviously the way it should go as he had a hexagonal socket screwdriver and he assumed that this was for screwing mainboards onto the PC backboard.