Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    Deleted

do you care about world firsts?

Reading through the threads about paragons latest raid achievement I have to laugh at the amount of fanboyism going on, is it just me who doesnt really care about what these pro guilds do? I mean lets face it these guys, paragon, method, blood legion, they do nothing but wow, thier lives revolve around the game, they have sponsorships, they are professional players, to be honest id expect them to hit every world first, Id be suprised if they didnt with the advantages they have being in the position they are.

What impresses me more then the world first achievements are the first non pro guilds to hit the raid achievements, ordinary players who play wow around their real lives and dont have sponsors etc as its a lot harder for them to spend the amount of time needed to learn the raids well etc.

Now I have no problem with the pro guilds but what I dont get is the fanboyism, the hero worship....as if these people are some kind of superhuman players or something........no, theyre good yes, but they also have a hell of a lot more time to devote to the game then your ordinary player and a big advantage in terms of thier status.

Bringing me back to the point of the topic, because of the fact that these pro guilds are out there, does world first really matter? I mean its always going to be one of them noone else has a chance so surly that demeans the `first` achievement alone.

Im not trying to demean paragons accomplishment but what im saying is pro guilds are a step above the playing field from your normal wow everyday raiding guilds, itd be good to see type of separation in the community where the achievement of a regular guild being the first in the world to hit these raid achievements is given as much applause as when a pro guild like paragon hits world first(lets face it pretty expectedly and thats the point)
    Last edited by mmocd06d636042; 2012-11-25 at 07:42 PM.

I don't care at all to be honest. Sure those people are extraordinary skilled ,but the race to world first just isn't that exciting to me.

no, they're trivial...

I don't think as many of the players in top guilds play WoW 16 hours a day as you think they do.
    Jsz
    <Losers Club> US-Alliance

d u m b c a s u a l s l u t

Deleted
    not at all

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really. Sure, it's interesting, but in the same way I go 'Oh, look at that.' and move on with my life if I see a commercial for something nifty and novel, but ultimately without impact on my day.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't really care, but I pay attention a little bit. The competition of it is interesting and it's kinda useful to see a kill timeline to gauge difficulty for us regular folks. But as far as rooting for particular raids or following really closely? Nah.

I don't really get why it's "fanboyish" or "hero worship" or whatever. It's not really any different than following your favourite sports team. Some people are attracted to competition and find it entertaining.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Meh, it used to be exciting about 5 years ago, before all the guilds got to test all the mechanics on the PTR.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah. I'll just play the game at my own pace, thank you very much.
    There has been an awakening... Have you felt it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Not in the least I have no interest in what a bunch of people who spend 10+ hours a day playing do.

10+ Year Old Account
    No I don't much care about world firsts.

As well, people who want to follow the race and become fans of this or that guild are fine too. They don't hurt anyone and making fun or holdng them up for ridicule is a waste of time as well.

People get interested in different things and have different opinions. Okay.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    I couldn't care less. I care more about R1 (legit) arena players though.

10+ Year Old Account
    yup ptr kind of kills the race.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not even a little.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    No I don't much care about world firsts.

As well, people who want to follow the race and become fans of this or that guild are fine too. They don't hurt anyone and making fun or holdng them up for ridicule is a waste of time as well.

People get interested in different things and have different opinions. Okay.
    Im talking about the kind of fanboyism ive seen in other threads where people start flaming others just because they `dared` to be critical of there percieved `favourite` guild, support is fine but some go way over the top.

Deleted
    Yes and no. I read about them, i watch world first kill videos. But do i care enough to refresh wowprogress whole day? No.

Quote Originally Posted by thatcrazypenguin View Post
    Now I have no problem with the pro guilds but what I dont get is the fanboyism, the hero worship....as if these people are some kind of superhuman players or something........
    You do realise this happens with pretty much everything ever, right? This is what human beings do. We latch on to people whom we respect, and idolise them. Look at the pop music industry. Sports. Famous scientists. Presidents, leaders in general: this is human nature.

To paraphrase Chen's catchphrase: 'to ask why we fanboy is to ask why leaves fall.' It is not the question we should be asking. Instead...

What is worth fanboying for?

Couldn't care about world firsts any less then do now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Care, as in actively following and trembling in excitement?
    No.
    But I congratulate the people who got them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by OneSent View Post
    Meh, it used to be exciting about 5 years ago, before all the guilds got to test all the mechanics on the PTR.
    This. (10chars)