Page 20 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoma View Post
    The OP's post implies personal letdowns as opposed to financial failures, so that's what I'm going with.
    I'm going to go with this definition as well.

1. Dragonball GT Final Bout. As a teen, the idea of a Dragon Ball Z fighting game was probably the coolest thing I could think of. There weren't any that had been made in English at this point, and playing a Japanese title required tweaking the innards of your Playstation and voiding its warranty. One of my friends looked up how to do it and there we were, playing a DBZ Fighting game. Queue extreme excitement. This game was awful. Among clunky fighting mechanics, it had "power battles" where you'd shoot an energy blast at your opponent and you had to furiously mash the "X" button as fast as you could and whoever pushed it the most won. Well, this kind of thing gets old really, really fast, especially when you can turn any energy blast shot at you into one of these "power battles". Against the computer, sometimes it required an inhuman amount of button presses that would literally wear out your arm. Crap game.

2. Cataclysm. Having been skeptical about it well before its release, I was very pleasantly surprised by all the cool stuff the beginning of Cata brought to the table. I found myself highly engaged and very entertained. Sadly, as the Xpac rolled on, mediocre tiers of content, not much reason to leave the cities, and horrid class and spec balance finally made me throw in the towel after 6 years of WoW. Never had I been so frustrated with WoW than during Cataclysm.

3. Yoshi Story. Yes, when I was a kid and saw this game in Nintendo Power I thought it was going to be really fun. This was the era of great platforming games like Mario 64/Banjo Kazooie/DK 64 which had been preceded by other great platforming games like Super Mario World/Super Mario World 2/Donkey Kong Country on the SNES. For some reason I thought I'd be able to spend as much time playing and completing this game as those, but was sadly disappointed. There was nothing to this game, and the only secret things I could unlock were a white and black Yoshi. Huge letdown, and a waste of my precious allowance.
    Last edited by Letmesleep; 2012-11-22 at 03:43 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    Then the question should really be "What games do you think are bad?"

The only objective way to determine success in a business is financially.
    Then how are we going to measure financial success? Flat income? Compare it to budget? What about time spent creating it, is a 20-years-in-production-game selling just barely more than its budget a success?

Also, OP made a mistake, dealwithitalready.

Diablo 3 failed because Blizzard spun far too many features aimed at the game generating revenue after the box sale. Trying to make games generate money after their sales is a cancer on the game community, that has since destroyed expansion packs which were only ever successful if they delivered a satisfying amount of content. Blizzard have done expansion well before, D2:LoD, S:BW and WC3:TFT. This current money grabbing allows studios to charge premium amounts for trivial and terrible content.

Now Diablo 3 has the worst one of all. Giving the option and nigh on forcing people needing to spend real money on in game items needed ot progress through the game is just, bad. And that is why D3 failed. Also, playing through the same content 4 times...
    RETH

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Daikatana, E.T., and Superman 64.

Diablo 3, SWToR, and AION are all financially stable, profitable, and enjoyed by many gamers. As many as WoW or whatever you favorite game is? Maybe not, but that does not mean, at all, that it is a failure.

Anarchy Online had the worst MMO launch in history, and today is successful. SWToR isn't even a year old, and everyone still can't get over "ToRtanic". Maybe you need to get over your selves.

Diablo 3 was never going to be as good as Diablo 2, because that's how nostalgia works.

Seeing ppl list swtor as one of the top 3 game failures makes me sad :< i loved that game.. pvp was fun lvling was awesome flashpoints were fun.. proffesions were fun and not to grindy. Only - whould be the operations... i Most wholehartedly disagree with it being a top 3 game fail...

However. My 3 games whould be.

1. Diablo 3
    Itemization.. droprates and ah ruined my game experience. I rather have a hard but rewarding game then an easy unrewarding one.. But in this case, it was either easy and unrewarding (on act 1-2) or hard and unrewarding (on act 3-4)...

2. Conan mmo
    Sure it was beatiful and it had some nice story to it but.. it felt so so so unfinished.. several times during lvling you ran out of Quests to do and many of the instance bosses didnt even have abilities (or at elast they didnt use them...) more then autohit.. Outdoor instances was kinda broken, mob tagging bosses against 3-4 other grps was just annoying..

3. Dragon age 2.
    The "lol" option in the dialogues kinda made the game feel very unserious.. and story sucked. Somehow the roleplay element wasnt there as heavily as it was in Origins.

hmm, ofc. If i compare any of the above 3 games to any of the fkn sportsgames that comes out every damn year they whould look like diamonds in a pile of shit. Its disgusting how much money the companies make from doing another NHL or FIFA every year that is pretty much the same with slighlty better grafics..

Deleted
    1. Assasin's creed - what a godawful and boring game that was, worst 60 euros i've ever spent.

2. Guildwars 2 - was hyped as the new coming of mmo's, turned out to be a b-grade boring game.

3. The worms 3D - Totally butchered the original gameplay.

I doubt anything can touch the magnitude of failure that FF14 was.

FF11 had a huge playerbase mostly in Japan, but many too in EU NA and Middle East, many of them tried FF14 on release and it was basically unplayable due to server issues for weeks, and even then the content and gameplay was so incredibly awful that almost no one could stand it.

It led to the concession from the Publisher that it was so awful that charging a fee to play would be immoral, the sacking/'re-placement' of the entire development team responsible who were all prominent long-term employees of the developer. After a new team was put in place the game was completely revamped and reimagined from start to finish as FF14 2.0 which may still not be finished yet, more or less 2 years after the initial release.

i was gonna say diablo 3 but it was the first one listed =P
    Photo Website: http://www.jeremynative.com Please check out

Diablo 3 (at least when it first came out. Although it's already burnt it's bridge for me even if they've fixed the problems with it now. I won't play it again.)
    FF 14 - A company that has to apologize to it's playerbase for producing a crappy product is a tell tale sign of a fail game
    Not sure what else I'd add.
    Games I've been disappointed in would include: Aion, Dragon Age: Origins, WoW Cata/MoP and Oblivion but I wouldn't call any of them failures.

I'm excited about the upcoming TESO and honestly hoping no one calls it a WoW killer as that seems to be the kiss of death for new MMO's.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabbycat View Post
    I'm excited about the upcoming TESO and honestly hoping no one calls it a WoW killer as that seems to be the kiss of death for new MMO's.
    Spoilers: they will.

Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    >.< Don't say that!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by freeforumuser View Post
    I won't call D3 a failure though, at least Blizzard patched away most of the godawful gameplay problems pretty swiftly with 1.04.

The closest thing IMO would be Oblivion, everything was so lazy and sloppily done.
    How can you even say that Oblivion was AMAZING.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    They already did. Saw a thread get locked here on MMO-C just a week or so ago making that very claim.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    1. ToR. Hyped by EA themselves as the game that would knock WoW off its throne, we all know how that turned out.

2. Skyrim. I'm sorry, but this game was just a colossal disappointment IMO. Where do I begin? From the tiny dragons (they're like, giraffe sized) to the unstable half-ass XB360 port that PC users got shoveled. To the fact that Bethesda flat-out lied about it using an all-new game engine (its a modified version of the same one Fallout 3 uses, there are even remnants of V.A.T.S in the files), to the exclusivity bullshit with Microsoft that keeps every other system from getting DLC for over a month. I could write a blog about Skyrim, and not the good kind.

3. Probably Metroid Other M. While I don't hate the game as so many do, I do find it unfortunate that the first real look we got as Samus as a character portrayed her the way it did. People blame Team Ninja when it was actually Nintendo's fault (they came up with the story). Sadly Other M looks to have been death of the franchise as a standalone series: even Reggie Fils-Aimes said that he doesn't know if any more Metroid games will be made. As someone who can probably thank her gaming habit largely to the awesomeness of Metroid and Super Metroid, that depresses the hell out of me.

---------- Post added 2012-11-23 at 05:02 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by valedo View Post
    As strange as his opinion is, Valedo, he has a right to it. I loved Oblivion and played it religiously for well over 4 years, I even modded draenei into it as a playable race.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by valedo View Post
    Still the worst Elder Scrolls game for me. Almost everything in it screamed to me "We aren't going to bother we know you'll just mod the hell out of this anyway."

The highlight is Jeremy Soule's soundtrack.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

All i see is you crying that diablo 3 was to hard. Well d2 players wanted a new difficulty which supose to be IMPOSSIBLE. Blizz just gave them what they wanted.
    Even with the flaws D3 had on launch i would put it on the top of the games that came out in 2012. Ive spend there 200h+ there is not much SINGLE PLAYER (yep diablo aint a mmo) games that i would spend more than 30h on.

1) E.T. on the Atari 2600. Gave it to my cousin once I found how unplayable it was. He gave it to a friend a week later.

2) Final Fantasy 14. Didn't even play it a week before I regreted buying it.

3) Madden NFL 2013. They have completely destroyed every reason why I bought the new one each year. Most of the things I enjoyed have been totaly removed to make the online play (that I never use) better.
    Last edited by Kasanth; 2012-11-23 at 08:39 AM.

Aion.
    D3.
    Skyrim.
    SWtoR in its F2P incarnation.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've noticed SW:TOR coming up a few times (gross underestimation) because of the criticism of it going F2P.

But it's not entirely is it? The F2P as I've read it is rather restrictive, even after they lightened things up. They've still got a subscription based gameplay but are extending to the casual market with microsales to a market that otherwise would go F2P. Microsale gaming is on the rise, and more companies are extending their market to take a slice of the pie.

Pretty sure I read once that they need 500k subscribers to break even. As long as they never dip below that number, the game still churns a profit.

Yes there's still very little end game to it, and the main attraction is more the story from 1-50 and less what you do in the end, but the company is afloat and making money from it. Also no, I don't play it anymore, but I don't play MMO's other than EVE anymore, I just don't have the time. So I avoid subscription based gaming (and pay for my EVE accounts through in game currency) because I don't want to make a commitment to what I'll do with my social life. That and there's so many awesome F2P multiplayer games out now, and a wealth of single player titles that the appeal and charm of the MMO is fading.

Which leads me to my biggest conclusion about TOR; it was 2-3 years too late, possibly more. Yes it's not the perfect game at launch, but you remember some of the god awful releases back then? AoC had barely any content past the starting area, WAR removed content from its launch, Tabula Rasa was a massive disappointment and Aion launched at the absolute peak of the consumer age for MMORPGs and... actually I'm still not sure what the hell happened there, answers on a quotecard. TOR would have thrived back then, it wouldn't be a WoW killer (nothing was going to knock off TBC/Wrath) but it'd establish itself comfortably as a second game with a constant playerbase. There was interest back then for MMO's that aren't WoW.

Now? It's adapting to the market, microsale gaming is the way forward. I'm just waiting for WoW to extend the F2P to 60, then 70 with various restrictions on dungeons, pet battles and battlegrounds, because you can bet there's an untapped market there.
    Last edited by Northern Goblin; 2012-11-23 at 06:03 PM.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

15+ Year Old Account
    Even though it's probably not even part of the topic, i must say it. Every company that makes a game now requires me to use one of their crappy systems in order to even launch single player, things like origin or u-play, thus making me have about 10 different accounts for 10 different companies just to play 10 different games. Really one of the biggest, if not THE biggest failure in gaming history for me.