Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    you know, for all the final fantasy 14s here, i really loved 14 at launch! of course, there wasn't anything to do... but i really liked the combat and how the classes worked. guess it really did need to be rebuilt, though. anyways!

1. Hellgate London
    2. Spore
    3. Dragon Age 2

Although I never bought it, I would say Final Fantasy 11. My friend showed me the game a couple days ago and I was just stunned by how incredibly stale it was in comparison to WoW. He told me there's only like 20-40k people who still play it and even this incredibly small number surprised me. I just can't imagine anyone other than super hardcore FF lovers playing this game. It's hard to believe there are still 20-40 thousand people paying a monthly subscription to this game when games like WoW and Rift are out there. Even the title of the game is dumb as all hell to me. They should have just called it FF Online or FF Universe or something. Calling it FF11 is just gonna pis off FF fans who want to claim they've beaten every FF game out there. I'm stunned it's not Free to Play yet.

Deleted
    Title sounds more like failures but post makes it sound like disappointments. Ehhh.

Far Cry 2
    The next BIG thing.
    War of the Roses.

First ones that came to mind.

Deleted
    dragon age 2 blew when compared to origins.

Mass effect 3 an ending that sets standards for what NOT to do and manages to piss all over everything the player did in the whole 80+ hours of gameplay previously.

Swtor... dont need to say much

10+ Year Old Account
    You do know Kratos stayed a hero by giving all of mankind hope with the deaths of the gods, including himself,right?
    I do. That's the part I called "bad, stupid and silly". He gave hope after he had destroyed everything himself... and the Pandora Box explanation for it? It is ridiculous.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Radoria View Post
    there's only like 20-40k people who still play it
    Latest survey it was >300k, which is still small mind me, but for a MMO born on a console and later brought on PC over 10 years ago it's still quite some number, if you ask me.
    If you're interested FFXI peaked at slightly over 1,5m paying customers.

Players playing FFXI nowadays are mostly hardcore FF fans, people addicted to the game because they've been playing it so long, or people who want a bit of taste of an oldschool MMO, altough that kinda got lost over 1 year ago when, thinking the game would have crumbled soon after FFXIV, developers "killed" the game with a series of patches that burned it quickly for everyone playing it.

Believe it or not but wether you liked it or didn't, it's been a huge success for SE (their most profitable game to time) and a game that has set several "world first" in the world of videogames.

Calling it FF11 is just gonna pis off FF fans who want to claim they've beaten every FF game out there.
    I kinda agree they should have just called it "FF Online" (but doesn't this apply to FFXIV as well?) altough I guess we can both agree this is definitely reason not good enough to say it sucks, just because it's gonna make some OCD guy agry at SE?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Howlrunner View Post
    Oh God, I hated that game. Didn't make sense at all "Hey guys, I know you just levelled on this map, but now you have to level again, and those spells that are essential? Such as Cura? Well you might not get them on the new map making it UNCOMPLETABLE! MUAHAHAHA!"

I sold it within the weekend if I recall, even if it did have the GBA/GB link up cable :P
    There are permanent versions of spells by the way, >.>
    Comes in Rings.

I only skimmed the first 3 pages, but I doubt it's been mentioned:

TRIBES: Vengeance - Follow-up to the very successful TRIBES2, and an attempt at reuniting the once thriving Starsiege:TRIBES (aka TRIBES1) community that fell on it's face. It's a competitive FPS game that shipped with a broken server client, NO working tournament mode, spawn point bugs galore (you'd die, only to respawn inside a box or rock and be forced to suicide and wait 5 seconds again to rejoin the game), and a broken grappling hook that took nearly all of the fun out of flag stalemates unless you were the person with the flag swinging from pole to pole like a monkey where nobody could touch you until you hit the ground. As someone who competed and held the #1 rung of the primary CTF ladder/league for both predecessors, no game release has been more disappointing to me than this.

SW:TOR - I'm not into RP or cinematics (if there's one in WoW, I'm the first person to hit escape and exit out when possible), so I was annoyed before I hit level 10 and left the starting zones. I tried leveling 3 different characters and the highest only made it to around level 19-20. Most of my /played time was spent making credits while tabbed out playing other games, actually playing the game was not an option and I didn't last long enough for any of the patches that supposedly "fixed" the boring gameplay, and I doubt any of the changes catered to someone like me.

Wotlk WoW ToC release - This raid instance killed my old top25 US/100 World guild after the first or 2nd week. We were running it 2-4 times every week (some many times more than this assuming 2 split raids of 12-13 mains/alts to gear up quickly, plus 10n/10hc on 1-4 toons each week) on top of Ulduar for healer legendaries and after years of farming instances this was the straw that broke the camels back and convinced a handful of our roster to quit WoW cold turkey. We were a 25man raiding guild with only 28-30 members on our roster (nearly everyone had higher than 95% attendance and we only raided 6-9 3-4 days a week, wasn't much reason at that point to add more), and losing 6-8 people over the course of a month killed the guild.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    cannot understand the hate for Old Republic, honestly; sure it's gone f2p, but then so have many other games; sure it had some pretty annoying flaws early on, but again it's not alone there; I know a lot of people like to do pvp content, but I don't, so if there IS a problem with that I wouldn't know, sorry... if your only definition of "success" is "making WoW vanish and sustaining their absurd number of active subs" then isn't pretty much EVERY game a "failure"?

really, there's only one game I ever wished I hadn't played, and since it wasn't majorly hyped at the time I'm not sure it fits this criteria, but it was Master of Orion 3. I never got to play the original, but have heard great things, MoO2 has always been a favorite, then they brought out the third one, and it was an unplayable, micro-manage-to-death absurdity...

also, to the people mentioning Need for Speed games, I don't know about you guys, but Underground was pretty much the worst racing game I've ever seen...
    22 miles of hard road
    33 years of tough luck
    44 skulls buried in the ground
    Crawling down through the muck
    Ah yeah...

Sim City 4000. Cheap port of of SC3 too easy on easy to long on hard, Damn near 98% of the same game. Too bad they dumped all the cash into the Sims and couldn't spend an extra thousand bucks on this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Dabrix32 View Post
    Only had 1 viable class at launch
    Horrible drop rates
    The only people doing higher acts exploied resplendent chests and other things to gain silly amounts of gold and loot and then blizzard fixed it so the casuals could never catch up in order to make them use RMAH so Blizzard could make more money
    Being forced to use RMAH because drops were so bad you either had to buy off RMAH or stay in Act 1 for eternity getting level 54 loot.
    Also what retention rate? Compare public games now to launch. They arent even 5% of what they used to be.
    1 Viable class at launch is just whining bollox that has no meaning or truth. Horrible drop rates has no meaning or truth beyond a personal whine, Infact to be honest pretty much all you said is a load of bollox that franky anyone could say about any game if they were in the mood for whining.

The facts are that Diablo 3 was the fastest selling PC game of all time, and a game that hosts a very healthy playerbase and has been extremely financially successful. Being overhyped or not living up to everyones (far too high in most cases) expectations does not qualify for calling one of the most successful games of the year as being a "top 3 biggest failure".

Diablo 3 has been anything but a failure, even if your personal opinion of the game is low, it has been a massive massive success.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2012-11-19 at 08:09 PM.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

SWTOR makes #1 in my list. Yes I bought into the hype, Cata was sucking the life out of me. I love Star Wars in general, KOTOR being one of my favorites of all time. The cinematic were relatively appealing...but holy crap that game had a list of problems (little to do, terrible economy, etc). Thinking about all of that money and ideas put into the game based on my favorite franchise; it makes me cry.

To those still enjoying the game, power to you. But I cannot fathom what there is to do but run some OPs once a week and queuing for the same WZs over and over (most of them terrible designed).

As for the next 2 they would be DA:2 (and rpg game that isn't rpg) and Warhammer:AoR (nice ideas and setting but bad execution).

10+ Year Old Account
    1. WoW - Was amazing up until Cataclysm... will remain crap forever.

Can't think of any other games that have disappointed me that I've bought.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Hellgate london, had the potential to be huge except they rushed it, delivered it badly and then went broke.

Was eventually rebooted but they had completely asianfied it, the story made no sense and was full of engrish.

Luckily Borderlands came out

1) D3
    2) Cata
    3) Civ 5

recent games only....
    Diablo 3
    Battlefield 3
    Dark Souls (PC version)

Deleted
    halo wars was also quite dissapointing, not a massive fail but i love the halo series and i love RTS, so i was really looking forward to halo wars.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabrix32 View Post

3. Aion
    Graphics looked awesome is the only reason I bought it. Never made it past level 30. The grind in Everquest paled in comparrison to this game. Sad too cause I actually liked a lot of the classes. Flying combat sounded like a cool idea on paper but was horrible in game. It gave ranged class such an advantage it was retarded. Obviously all they had to do was sit back and pew pew while meless had to figure out where the hell they were and then if you did manage to find them you were half dead anyways so it didnt matter.
    I'm failing to how this game is a "failure" it sounds like you didn't like it so it's a failure?

Aion had/has a lot going for it. The game is an NCsoft which is notorious korean thus the grind. Comparing the Aion grind to Everquest is also not accurate at all. Everquest was far worse. Did you even play Everquest or did you give up on that game 30 levels in too?

Considering you stopped playing at level 30, you really have almost 0 basis on flying combat as you would have hardly done any of it at all. Combat Flying at 30 is barely possible considering the low amount of flight time you have available to you at 30.

I don't mean to flame but a pet peeve of mine is people offering up their opinions based on the microscopical amount of knowledge they have on a subject.

Oh and as someone that actually did play the game passed 30 and someone who played a melee, you could in fact kill a ranged/caster quite easily if you weren't terrible. The burst melee classes have makes up for the range advantage casters/rangers had. In fact I destroyed casters on a daily basis on my Gladiator.

So please, just because you didn't like a game and weren't good at it, don't make it off to be a "failure". The game still has a solid player base and the game is quite fun. I still play it from time to time now that it's F2P.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowt View Post
    Age of Conan comes to mind.

Otherwise E.T for the Atari 2600 is commonly held as (one of) the biggest flop in video-game history.

Though I bought neither.
    i've been seeing ET bashing a lot lately

not sure people know that yeah, the game wasn't great but it sold 1.5 million copies which at the time was pretty massive, the problem was ATARI being completely stupid, managing the whole damn xmas season in '82 poorly, over-producing, skipping basically all phases of game creation just to get it out by xmas

i remember as a kid liking the game. it wasn't too hard, i had seen ET, etc

10+ Year Old Account
    From games I've actually played.

Swtor and DIablo III had so little replay value or reason to continue on, I haven't played since getting to 50 (and a few weeks of bg's after that which was pretty enjoyable actually) and clearing Hell. I started Inferno, and I just never really wanted to finish it, it wasn't the difficulty, my character was fine and I didn't really have trouble. It was just the same exact thing.

I absolutely hated Oblivion, I don't understand why people like it so much, I never felt like I was doing anything. The controls are awkward. I'm sure it getsgot better later on, but it just wasn't for me.

none of these games are really failures tho, as they all have a shit ton of people playing them.

Aion had like 9 million players at one point, hard to call that a failure. The game was WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too grindy for me tho. I think I made it to 38, and just lost it after playing for 5 days and being in the same exact place.

there's a difference between bad and failure. a bad game in the 70-80's that didn't cost very much isn't as big of a super mega hyped game from last year that probably had about 10% of the success the developers imagined.
    Last edited by Varyk; 2012-11-19 at 08:31 PM.