Page 1 of 18
... LastLast

Why do people lie about having played in classic or TBC?

I keep seeing comments from people on here and other places saying "bring back TBC" or "classic was the best". Thats grate but why lie about having played it back then?

Nearly everyone you see making these comments you can armory ninja them to find they started playing in wrath or cata not classic or TBC. Some people making the comments that i checked out did play in TBC but not raiding or anything just casual it looked like (check out guild apps etc etc).

Why lie? Whats the point it does not make you a better player if you started playing back then "its all about the player you are now" not then, and it's not going to get you laid or anything. Just why lie!

Anyone have any input?

10+ Year Old Account
    Before account-wide achievements, how would you know if they played back then or not?

Need to take into consideration people on new accounts.

You can't just assume by looking at old achieves people didn't play then. Maybe they took a break and now their achieves have a later date than first day of wrath etc.

Why does it matter though? Doesn't affect you really in anyway, these people are only lying to themselves. and who's to say they are lying? I started playing on my partners account back in vanilla, was a complete noob and didn't get my own account till TBC, how would you find that info out? You wouldn't. So how do you know similar things haven't happened to others too?

It doesn't bother me if people want to say they played earlier than they did, makes no odds to me and doesn't affect the game I play. People lie, always will!

I play on a different account than the one I played on in Vanilla and TBC. You can't always judge by the armory.

10+ Year Old Account
    For some reason they think the fact that they've played WoW for far too long is a cool thing.

Yeah, unless you kept gear from those old bosses, it doesn't give you the achievements, you have to go back and kill them.

Chances are a lot of the people you think you caught actually did read back then. They are are saying the raiding was better, they sure sound like they know what they're talking about *WINK*

Quote Originally Posted by Tikaru View Post
    Before account-wide achievements, how would you know if they played back then or not?
    You can check feats achievements (stuff like the dreadsteed warlock quest, pala mount quest line things people wont do today). Also like i said guild apps and as already said old gear. It does not really bother me as such i was just wondering when i was bored one day "did these people who are giving all the QQ about wanting old patch servers really play back then?" and yeah with about 30 mins digging around killing some time i found nearly all the peeps i checked did not play when they said.

OFC new accounts are something you cant tell.
    Last edited by Domiku; 2012-11-19 at 08:58 PM.

Deleted
    Achievements started in Wrath, so how do you know by their armoury when they started??

*edit* Seen you put, look at FoS. Most of mine show the very day achievements started, as any you had previous to that date, all show it. So you're probably going to want to have a rethink

stalking people is creepy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldfingaz View Post
    Agreed.

I started playing the game at the end of Vanilla on a different account than the one I eventually started in BC. Even the earliest feats of strength and achievements I can find on my account now are things like Tabard of the Argent Dawn and Spirit of Competition/Competitor's Tabard. That would prove I played in BC but the account existed before achievements even existed...how you prove that if you just go look at someone's armory?

Quote Originally Posted by Goldfingaz View Post

You can't just assume by looking at old achieves people didn't play then. Maybe they took a break and now their achieves have a later date than first day of wrath etc.
    It's true. I started Nov 2005. Rage quit in 2008 (feb) and came back in Jan 2009. Plus, most of the 40 alts I had have since been deleted at one time or another as I got bored with them. To quote a great line from a crappy movie (Under Siege 2) - "Assumption is the mother of all f*** ups". Don't just assume that you can learn everything in the Armory. That's like saying Wikipedia is 100% accurate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do people always assume they are lying? WoW had huge growth during that period. It makes sense that the majority of players started playing during classic and BC. Absence of evidence on the armory is not necessarily evidence of absence.

Too often people use this as some weak grounds for discrediting people, often on topics where it has no relevance. If I had a nickel for every time someone falsely accused me of lying about playing in classic/BC solely because I had a different opinion on a subject, I'd be rich.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by Rivellana View Post
    Agreed.

I started playing the game at the end of Vanilla on a different account than the one I eventually started in BC. Even the earliest feats of strength and achievements I can find on my account now are things like Tabard of the Argent Dawn and Spirit of Competition/Competitor's Tabard. That would prove I played in BC but the account existed before achievements even existed...how you prove that if you just go look at someone's armory?
    As i said above also things like old titles and mounts and stuff. (mostly old pvp things)

when did acheiv's come out compared to when wow came out? there where no acheiv's in classic that much io know...tbc idk...ill admit i joined the very ending of TBC 3 months b4 wrath.

point being that u cant go by acheiv's to figure out when they started in pre-bc or not

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Domiku View Post
    As i said above also things like old titles and mounts and stuff. (mostly old pvp things)

Again....the FoS date, from anything before Wrath launch, is given the date achievements launched. Hence why people have 20+ FoS from same day

10+ Year Old Account
    As to the original question, people lie about it, especially on forums to "lend weight" to their opinion in reference to the game.

I started in Vanilla one month before TBC hit. I can't prove that, as I never hit 60 until after TBC. Though the feats of strength for Warlock / Pally / Druid Flight form show at least I was there for TBC.
    I sat alone in the dark one night, tuning in by remote.
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light, but there was Brimstone in his throat.
    He'd show me the way, according to him, in return for my personal check.
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and lit another cigarette.

You do realise that Achievements was introduced just before Wotlk's release... yes?

I was 10 years old when WoW first came out, my parents bought it for me for Christmas. I've played off and on ever since, I've had 4 different accounts so no I can't prove it. If people ask me about Vanilla, I'll tell them my experience, to be honest I think the players who have been around since then don't really brag about it. We just enjoy the way the game has evolved. Yes when I was 10 I was terrible at this game, but I think that all in all it actually helped me to grow up and mature by learning teamwork and patience.

I was talking with a guildy about this last week, he can still go back to his account history and see partial charges or free day credits for when the servers were so fucked that Blizzard decided to pro-rate the month or give us credits. It's funny how people who have "played" since Vanilla usually complain about things like grinds or server issues, when that was my defining experience for Vanilla. My friends who played Vanilla with me have no problems with these daily grinds, we remember the old grinds and these are nothing compared to some of them.

Vanilla to me equals disorganized, simplistic, grind oriented game play with server stability issues. Yes it was a cool new world, no it was not this utopian game everyone seems to think it was.

I played in friends and family Alpha.