Unhappy Weird laptop fan noise (only when the fan gets turned off). Help please!

Hello

6 months ago I bought a 13 inch Asus U31S laptop. It's perfect for school work and surfing the web. Lately though I have been experiencing some really annoying fan noise coming directly from under the laptop. So it's not from the fan at the side of the laptop. It also only happens when the fan turns off. Whenever the fan is on it's perfectly fine and nothing bothers me, it's when it turns off that it makes this really loud mechanical sound (as a motorbike turning its engines off) which even makes the laptop vibrate a bit. It also only happens when the laptop is horizontally placed. Sometimes I lay in bed and keep it in a somewhat vertical position and it doesn't make the sound.

I couldn't find anything about this on Goggle so hopefully some of you can help. Does anyone here have any knowledge about what this could be? What exactly is located there, is it the CPU or the GPU fan? How would I go around fixing this?

Thanks!

Edit - Here's a picture of the fan which I suspect is giving me trouble: http://i.imgur.com/qvP2z.jpg
    Last edited by Sethlol; 2012-11-19 at 09:24 PM.
    I'm not the Devil. I'm much, much older. I watched the Beginning and I will see the End. I am the dark behind the stars. I am the dark inside you all.

Deleted
    dust perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    dust perhaps?
    But wouldn't dust then make the fan noisy all the time and not just when it gets turned off?

If it is dust, what's the best way to clean it? Would I have to open the laptop?
    I'm not the Devil. I'm much, much older. I watched the Beginning and I will see the End. I am the dark behind the stars. I am the dark inside you all.

Deleted
    small can of compressed air to blow it all out pretty much. (local tech store got that easy)
    opening is better but not required. (or maybe something with bearings of the fan but that would be highly unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by Sethlol View Post
    Hello

6 months ago I bought a 13 inch Asus U31S laptop. It's perfect for school work and surfing the web. Lately though I have been experiencing some really annoying fan noise coming directly from under the laptop. So it's not from the fan at the side of the laptop. It also only happens when the fan turns off. Whenever the fan is on it's perfectly fine and nothing bothers me, it's when it turns off that it makes this really loud mechanical sound (as a motorbike turning its engines off) which even makes the laptop vibrate a bit. It also only happens when the laptop is horizontally placed. Sometimes I lay in bed and keep it in a somewhat vertical position and it doesn't make the sound.

I couldn't find anything about this on Goggle so hopefully some of you can help. Does anyone here have any knowledge about what this could be? What exactly is located there, is it the CPU or the GPU fan? How would I go around fixing this?

Thanks!

Edit - Here's a picture of the fan which I suspect is giving me trouble: http://i.imgur.com/qvP2z.jpg
    You should open it up nice and slowly, clean off the dust from the fan and heatsink and also check for loose plate cover/wires. When the fans spins it may touch/scrap against the fan cover. My old acer did that.

Using a few screw washer may do the trick. Hopefully the fan isn't going bad. If it is u can find replacement parts online for it.

Sounds like something clogging up the motor, or the bearings are toast and it's cavitating/wobbling when the RPM's drop.

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    Sounds like something clogging up the motor, or the bearings are toast and it's cavitating/wobbling when the RPM's drop.
    In case of the bearings, what would be the best thing to do? Replace the entire fan?

Quote Originally Posted by Sethlol View Post
    In case of the bearings, what would be the best thing to do? Replace the entire fan?
    If cleaning it doesn't work, more than likely.

Deleted
    Hi everyone this is my first post,

I have got this laptop too and it's sounds terrible when the fun gets turn off. Did you figure out something to fix this? Did you change the fun? Can you give some advice please??