Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Warcraft - the most epic movie?

What's the most epic fantasy movie? I bet everyone would answer with "Lord of the Rings". It's true.. for now.

Let's talk about budget.

LotR whole budges was 281 million dollars.
    LotR movies were 11.3h long (together, extended)
    That gives 24.6 million dollars per hour of the movie.

Warcraft whole budget is above 100 million dollars (101 minimum, and I think it's 135 million dollars maximum). But let's say it's round 100 million.
    The movie will be 120-150 minutes long. Let's say it's 150 minutes long.
    That gives 40 million dollars per hour of the movie.

LotR: 24.6
    Warcraft: from 40 to ~67.5 (if the movie will be 120 minutes long and the budget would be 135 million dollars).

Warcraft:

Director - Charles Leavitt (K-PAX, Blood Diamond)
    Writers:
    Charles Leavitt
    Robert Rodat
    Chris Metzen
    Studio: Legendary Pictures
    Distributor: Warner Bros

Do you think Warcraft movie will shake the foundations of "epic" definition? I mean, will it be more epic than Lord of the Rings for example?
    Discuss.

/sources:
    imdb
    wowpedia
    wikipedia

I'd pay to see the movie. Being the most epic movie? is another topic.

Everybody would pay..
    Quote Originally Posted by Cafe View Post
    I'd pay to see the movie. Being the most epic movie? is another topic.

Will it beet Lotr? I don't think it will.
    I personally think that the Warcraft movie has lots of potential, don't get me wrong on that. I just think that compared to LotR, it probably won't feel as epic to the general population.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think alot of people will be dissapointed. The amount of years that we have to wait is insane, the longer it takes the higher peoples expectations will be. And I think the movie won't meet up on those expectations

Nimryas - EU-Kazzak ~ My youtube channel

It could be neat. They really should go for something not covered in game lines though. War of the Ancients would be great, a screenplay NOT based on Knaak's toilet paper retcon.

10+ Year Old Account
    pretty sure it not gonna be anything special, just hoping it wont be total fail.

Valve and Blizzard are both companies with excellent CGI movies, I would be prepared to watch a feature film created by the CGI departments of either of them.
    Unfortunately work at that standard takes a phenomenal amount of time to create, so it will never happen. That's presumably why they're not doing it that way

Quote Originally Posted by Constellation View Post
    It could be neat. They really should go for something not covered in game lines though. War of the Ancients would be great, a screenplay NOT based on Knaak's toilet paper retcon.
    Last I heard, it was to be set one year before World of Warcraft from the Alliance's point of view.
    He is the life of guilds he has never joined.
    He once had a noobish moment- just to see what it felt like.
    If he were to beat you in a duel, you would have to fight the strong urge to thank him.
    The Lunar Elders have a holiday in which they honor him.
    He can speak Darnassian. In Orcish.
    He is: The Most Interesting Man in the World of Warcraft.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    At this point, I'm of the belief that it's never going to actually get made.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm willing to bet that people who have never played WoW or the Warcraft series will probably be like: "Oh, I totally play the games the movie is based off". I'm calling it now :P

But back OT.. didn't they say the Warcraft movie wouldn't take place in this time or something?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dallan View Post
    At this point, I'm of the belief that it's never going to actually get made.
    Pretty much this. How long have we been waiting for this movie?

I expect a tonload of complain about all the non human characters design, about the story and maybe about the film being biased torward a faction, so yes it will be succesfull.

With Chris Metzen working on it, you should expect the movie to be "badass" and "awesome". No really, every character will be saying the word badass as much as possible.

Needs more taurenbell.

Chris Metzen means:
    -Cliche in cliche out
    -Everyone is a badass
    No it's not gonna be an awesome movie. It will lack depth. Only blind fanboys will enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Magemaer View Post
    Chris Metzen means:
    -Cliche in cliche out
    -Everyone is a badass
    No it's not gonna be an awesome movie. It will lack depth. Only blind fanboys will enjoy it.
    It also means too much Thrall and Malfurion, but specially Thrall. Hugging all the screentime from the entire movie :S

Budget does not a good movie make.

Moon, one of the most highly regarded sci-fi movies of the past years, was made on a budget of just 5 million dollars.

True, flying the entire film crew to New Zealand takes $, but what makes Lord of the Rings truly epic is not $M/h (what a silly unit of measurement) but the pacing, the acting and the storyline. All of those are subject to flaws, especially if Blizzard wants to cash in on the young audience (and let's face it, that's always been the majority of the playerbase). And don't think Blizzard is above such actions. If MMO-C agrees on anything it's that Blizzard is a business, doing what businesses do.

I'm not saying it's going to be a flop, I truly hope it's not. I just think it's silly to get hyped up over a movie based on it's budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Magemaer View Post
    Chris Metzen means:
    -Cliche in cliche out
    -Everyone is a badass
    My thoughts exactly. If this movie ever comes to pass it will be embarassing enough to make you want to hide you're into the games.

No matter how much money you throw at it, its still a movie based on a fairly general fantasy setting of a video game. It cant do much.