Deleted

Wild Imps rate: working as intended?

So my warlock just hit the magical level where imps start literally throwing themselves out of the twisting nether to help you with fireball goodness. Which is nice. I really appreciate their efforts and all, but I think they may be working a little too hard.

See, the tooltip says the effect can occur every 19 or so seconds; in execution however I've noticed that the delay in getting the buff back varies from no time at all (I've had two imp procs in a row from back-to-back Shadow Bolts) to 15 seconds, but rarely does it take anywhere close to 19. My latency was pretty low at the time of testing so I don't think this was a lag issue--in fact if it were it would take longer for the buff to come back.

I mean, if it's working as intended and I'm supposed to have an enormous raid group of imps following me around blasting my enemies to bits, then rock on. But I always feel bad taking advantage of an ability that seems to be more powerful than the tooltip indicates.

Deleted
    Out of interest, do you put Doom on your targets? Doom critting will summon an Imp.

As a fresh 90 I can say that with Doom crits and Wild Imp passives, you'll have a lot of Imps surrounding you.

What is happening is this. Wild imps last 2 minutes or 10 cast, while questing it doesn't take 2 mins or 10 cast to kill a mob, so you are building them up slowly. The more imps you have out the faster stuff dies, the less cast imps get out, the more imps spawn.

Nothing more nothing less.

Quote Originally Posted by Amiright View Post
    What is happening is this. Wild imps last 2 minutes or 10 cast, while questing it doesn't take 2 mins or 10 cast to kill a mob, so you are building them up slowly. The more imps you have out the faster stuff dies, the less cast imps get out, the more imps spawn.

Nothing more nothing less.
    Umm this does nothing to address his point of 2 back to back Sbolts summoning an imp. Which I have seen as well, it may have to to with doom crits.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

If you have the glyph for them, I believe that the CD is affected by spell haste. Would the back to back summons have been during Heroism/Bloodlust with a haste proc?

Nevermind. See the posts below me on why I'm wrong.
    Last edited by Nalnik; 2012-11-20 at 08:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalnik View Post
    If you have the glyph for them, I believe that the CD is affected by spell haste. Would the back to back summons have been during Heroism/Bloodlust with a haste proc?
    Glyph refers to the CD on the spell you get which summons 5 and puts your passive imp summoning on a hidden CD for the duration. You can't gain demonic calling while imp swarm is on CD, and the glyph refers to the CD on imp swarm.

It's not a CD per se, it's a ticking background refresh of a buff. The refresh event starts ticking when you log in and continues ticking every 20 seconds (modified by haste), regardless of when you consume the buff. So if you happen to wait until a few seconds prior to a refresh before you consume the buff, you can get two imps back to back. But if you're continuously casting you'll never get them back to back.
    http://wowupgrade.com/ - instant gear comparison for all classes / specs

Deleted
    Further information since people seem to be getting the wrong end of the stick here:

1. I'm level 32, and therefore don't have Doom. This is happening in an untransformed state while casting nothing but Shadow Bolts.
    2. I have precisely 0 glyphs on my warlock, Imp Swarm or otherwise.
    3. The "reduced" refresh rate also happens when I'm casting Shadow Bolt continuously.

Carry on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trihan View Post
    Further information since people seem to be getting the wrong end of the stick here:

1. I'm level 32, and therefore don't have Doom. This is happening in an untransformed state while casting nothing but Shadow Bolts.
    2. I have precisely 0 glyphs on my warlock, Imp Swarm or otherwise.
    3. The "reduced" refresh rate also happens when I'm casting Shadow Bolt continuously.

Carry on.
    I hope you have made a bug report through the in-game menu. I'd check myself just to be sure, but I don't have a 30-ish lock and I'm not about to level one just for this xD

This issue was talked about a while back before as well,

www . mmo-champion . com / threads / 1199376-Where-am-I-getting-all-these-wild-imps?p=18491725
    (can't post links yet)

Unfortunately, again people were assuming the person was casting Doom, hasted etc, etc. I believe this extra Imp spawning may be a low level thing, I noticed it happening when level'ing. Whether it still happens at max level, I can't say I am paying attention to be able to say yes or no.