Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Why don't mages...

Use Staves? I've not seen a Mage hold a staff for ages unless it's a Dragonwrath. I've always been melee, so I didn't pay attention previously. It's really putting me off leveling a mage. I don't want to use bloody daggers, I'm not a rogue. Does any class use staves nowadays? I could have sworn the traditional caster weapon was a staff.

In my time as a caster blizz was never actually smart enough to make staffs equal to what 1 hand/o hand equal i dunno if its the same now as i don't play any casters atm. That's why i have only used staffs ever if i absolutely had to.

Deleted
    Staffs aren't usually as good as a MH/OH combo.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ogFrenikk View Post
    Staffs aren't usually as good as a MH/OH combo.
    But Gandalf is essentially a Mage, and he uses a staff. Mages should use staves!

I always use staff on my mage whenever I can, Im sadly in no position to have power of what epics are gonna drop for me so its more blizzards fault that most mages dont use staff right now in the game. There havent been any caster staves available in LFR until after next reset in endless spring. I however still havent got any mainhand weapon drop even so I am actualy using a staff from heroics.
    The LFR gamble will decide if I will have mainhand wand from MGV or a staff from endless spring.

Deleted
    gandalf also uses sword :P I think...

Quote Originally Posted by Sareth View Post
    But Gandalf is essentially a Mage, and he uses a staff. Mages should use staves!
    Gandalf was a bad ass mage with Titan's Grip. He dual wielded a staff and a bastard sword. You should hope to be as awesome a mage as Gandalf.

Traditionally 1h/oh had more secondary stats on them, whereas staves got (usually only) more stamina. Throughout classic and bc I were a big defender of the staff-look. I remember when I saved almost 3 month of dkp for the Nef-staff in BWL, only because it was the coolest looking staff ever and I didn't want to use the pvp-dagger when they ("finally") changed the honor system.

Since Wrath I got used to the dagger/sword-look and because most staves looked pretty lame in those times I grew fond of the amazing looking ICC-1h. Since then I only used staves for PvP (especially since the transmog introduction - <3 old pvp sets )

I'm currently using a staff because I'm very casual and haven't gotten anything better than the Inscription staff yet. If you enjoy staves, use one. The difference in damage/DPS is absolutely trivial for anyone not pushing progression content at a high level.

Deleted
    Technically, he uses a staff and a sword in combat (;

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zakkleung View Post
    Technically, he uses a staff and a sword in combat (;
    My point is that wizards/mages usually carry a magical staff.

Deleted
    Use Staves? I've not seen a Mage hold a staff for ages unless it's a Dragonwrath. I've always been melee, so I didn't pay attention previously. It's really putting me off leveling a mage. I don't want to use bloody daggers, I'm not a rogue. Does any class use staves nowadays? I could have sworn the traditional caster weapon was a staff.
    cos blizz decided casters should go harry potter style and twirl their wands around instead of wielding a stave

My point is that wizards/mages usually carry a magical staff.
    And their point is that stats matter and staves aren't as good, sadly.

the fact that you cant enchant your offhand with extra int, that int wins over bigtime. Sha touched staff might be better if there is no sha touched 1h mages can use (i havent looked if there is one)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hexotic View Post
    the fact that you cant enchant your offhand with extra int, that int wins over bigtime. Sha touched staff might be better if there is no sha touched 1h mages can use (i havent looked if there is one)
    there is a sha touched sword with int if im not completely thinking about something else

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hexotic View Post
    There is a sword

Quote Originally Posted by fail View Post
    There is a sword
    which gives additional +1% hit for humans.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dR-vIce View Post
    which gives additional +1% hit for humans.
    and gnomes

For staff users who want to use staves because they like the look, the difference is negligible. Reading your post, I doubt you're on the cutting edge of heroic progression, so who cares if you miss out on 100 int or so? It's really not a big difference at all.

The reason a MH/OH combo gives better stats than a staff is because you have to get 2 pieces of gear. If staves were equal it wouldnt be fair to MH/OH users because they need to get twice the items for the same stats and then no one would use MH/OH and we would see these exact posts but flip-flopped. It's one of those 'there is a minor problem, but the fix would make a bigger one'.

Currently if you have a 496 MH and 476 OH, you get less stats than on a 496 staff. This really isn't a problem. You're talking about leveling a mage... if you want to level a mage and play a mage using a staff, do it. The stat difference is small and won't make or break your character in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I'm currently using a staff because I'm very casual and haven't gotten anything better than the Inscription staff yet. If you enjoy staves, use one. The difference in damage/DPS is absolutely trivial for anyone not pushing progression content at a high level.
    This. Staves are a mark of pride for me, as a mage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.