Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

GW2: F2P doesn't cut it?

So it seems to me that F2P doesn't really help it... I had so many active friends, they're not even coming back for 1 hour anymore... I guess it would be even worse if GW2 had subscription. What do you think?

This is based purely on my own observations, I'm not trying to push em down your throat.

10+ Year Old Account
    lost somewhere in the corn fields of middle America
    Well personal experiences are just those, personal. Our server was quite busy last night with multiple over flows. People will always come and go, more so with this style of game. Its absolutely designed to pick up and play when you want and with no sub leaves people free to do other things. Thats one of its strengths. In the end if your having fun thats all that matters, not what your friends are associates are doing.

The fact that there is no sub however leads to subjective posts of the game is bleeding / dying blah, blah when in reality its very active.

Guess I had to mention that I'm a PVP player and all my friends are PVP oriented people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your friends not playing the game anymore has NOTHING to do with the paymend method.

There is absolutely no link there.

1) If people like it, they will play it F2P/B2P/P2P it really doesn't matter
    2) If people hate it, they won't play it F2P/B2P/P2P it really doesn't matter

tl;dr: your friends didn't like it
    Warrior, getting my face smashed in because I love it

"The Perfect Raid Design Drawn by me .

Deleted
    F2P would be great if the game was good.

GW2 is not good.

People won't play a bad game for free.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noselacri View Post
    F2P would be great if the game was good.

GW2 is not good.

People won't play a bad game for free.
    GW2 isn't good it's GREAT
    Warrior, getting my face smashed in because I love it

"The Perfect Raid Design Drawn by me .

10+ Year Old Account
    I sometimes logon GW2 to do some PvP/PvE. It's just that, WoW being my primary game to play, TF2 being my secondary and GW2 being my teriary gane I only play when I truly feel like playing.

Also, having a mediocre laptop doesnt help when playing GW2 PvP. I gotta play on the LOWEST settings possible to have 60 FPS and not lagg indifinately. That's also one of the reasons I don't play GW2 as often as I play WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrno View Post
    GW2 isn't good it's GREAT

First thing that came to mind.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncano View Post
    So it seems to me that F2P doesn't really help it... I had so many active friends, they're not even coming back for 1 hour anymore... I guess it would be even worse if GW2 had subscription. What do you think?

This is based purely on my own observations, I'm not trying to push em down your throat.
    The f2p may help a little bit, I have seen people specifically mention that they get x,y,z without a sub, but then on the other hand subs are not a big issue for most people, even kids (EU, NA, Australia, etc) can relatively easily afford a sub with christmas / birthday presents, paper round, Saturday job, etc, and with 6 month / 1 year subs it makes it harder to quit.

Then there is also the effect on the dev side, it seems to me GW2 is understaffed, I have never played a sub based MMO with so many fundamental bugs (things wrong with class skills / traits for instance) that have then taken so long too fix. (and still haven't fixed)

Same thing for the way they are unable to push out content / systems across the board, take ascended gear, I realize their pre-launch talk is pretty empty, but one of the things they stated was people would be able to play how they wanted and be able to get the gear in multiple ways, now they've mentioned that at some point people who do thngs like WvW will be able to earn ascended gear, why was it not available at the same time? They lack the resources a sub based game has.

PvP, especially sPvP has failed badly and has lost a huge amount of players, they launched without the systems or content in place to make it the e-sport they desired, or even to simply keep casual PvPers playing, hence their lurch toward PvE, now it seems clear their e-sport dream which was one of the things they were depending on to generate revenue seems over (or at least a year plus away, GW2 was in 52nd position on Twitch when I looked last night, with 108 viewers).

They are about to lose a bunch more from WvW, as PS2 launches in a couple of hours, even without the upcoming PS2, queues are nowhere near what they were 6 weeks ago (the two servers I've played on have both been perma "full" & T1 - Desolation & Blacktide (EU), I can only imagine what has happened on low pop / low tier servers), even in PvE most of the zones have got emptier and emptier, I also know most of my hardcore Pver raider acquaintances went back to WoW, Rift, etc, because the 5 man PvE (or world events) with the somehwat zergy playstyle is just not a replacement for raids, plus many of them miss healing / tanking / being a real CC / support class, not everyone wants to play what is essentially DPS.

First impressions count, they launched a game that was a long way from ready and which they have been very slow so fix, which makes their "when it's ready" motto all the more ridiculous.
    Last edited by mmoc1f2ad58cb4; 2012-11-20 at 05:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greevir View Post

First thing that came to mind.
    Nah, for that to work , it'd have to be "GRRRRRREAT"

:P

And for F2P games that have no subs, there's only 1 way to know if the game is dying or going strong.

Servers.

If they have to merge servers due to barren populations, the game is in trouble. If they have to open up new servers because the current ones are full all the time, it means the game is going stronger.

Then there is also the effect on the dev side, it seems to me GW2 is understaffed, I have never played a sub based MMO with so many fundamental bugs (things wrong with class skills / traits for instance) that have then taken so long too fix.
    I have.

*coughswtorcough*

Por que odiar si amar es mas dulce? (*^_^*)

Deleted
    I highly doubt this have to do with the payment method, if people like the game they would play it, especially considering they do not have to pay a single dime after the purchase.

F2P game has 2 content updates a month apart, omg so terrible!

Simply put, not every game is for everybody.

And F2P/B2P/Subscription-based does not matter all that much when your biggest investment is generally the time commitment. I could easily afford half a dozen MMO subscriptions, but I couldn't find the time to play even half of them regularly (playing two MMOs just about maxes out what free time I have, and that's with my husband playing, too, so I don't even have to work around spouse aggro).

10+ Year Old Account
    waiting for something that has WoW raiding atmosphere and good boss enoucounters + SWTOR Personal Story + GW2 mentality and combat + TERA graphics.

Quote Originally Posted by rogerwilko View Post
    waiting for something that has WoW raiding atmosphere and good boss enoucounters + SWTOR Personal Story + GW2 mentality and combat + TERA graphics.
    Good luck with that

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrno View Post
    Your friends not playing the game anymore has NOTHING to do with the paymend method.

There is absolutely no link there.

1) If people like it, they will play it F2P/B2P/P2P it really doesn't matter
    2) If people hate it, they won't play it F2P/B2P/P2P it really doesn't matter

tl;dr: your friends didn't like it
    he asked if it would be even worse if it was p2p, did you even read it?

And the answer: Yes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because there are soooooo many p2p MMOs out there that are "OMFG4WES0ME-SAUCE!!!!" Right?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Derah View Post
    Nah, for that to work , it'd have to be "GRRRRRREAT"

:P

And for F2P games that have no subs, there's only 1 way to know if the game is dying or going strong.

Servers.

If they have to merge servers due to barren populations, the game is in trouble. If they have to open up new servers because the current ones are full all the time, it means the game is going stronger.

I have.

*coughswtorcough*
    Problem is, once you create characters on a server they are blocked, even if you dont play anymore. Even for that case you dont know if the game is doing well, but really

this forum is great to see how the game is doing. Just look at the members watching the forums...at peak 100, at beginning there were 2k - 3k

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Good luck with that
    Well, Elder Scrolls Online and Everquest Next look to be headed there. Nevewinter to some degree as well.

World exploration, events, dynamic grouping, public dungeons, action orientated combat w/ raiding and role trinity seems to be on tap for all 3.

I could be behind the news cycle though.

My own observation is that this happens to every new MMO release nowadays. Lots of people buy it, play it for few weeks or a month and then move on. This also includes MoP. I think that the general population is just overfed with MMOs in general.