Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Personally i stopped playing GW2 after 1,5-2 months its more then SW:TOR :P so thats a plus but for me while the game was okay. It did to me not provide the PVP i expected, i got somehow bored of SPVP almost instantly in a week of doing it which saddened me. And while WvWvW at the end was the only thing that kept me playing i somehow one day decided not to play and ever since have not played it again.

Its a good game overall, just to me couldnt grab me. I personally need something to want to work towards and that was something gw2 did not provide. While it might be a bad mindset i just cant be *peeped* if i don't get stronger by getting new and more rare/better gear.
    While the pvp part everybody same level / fair playing ground is great to me that does not work at all in PVE. Besides this problem the PVE content which i still do not consider to include questing or the lower level open world zones just did not grip me either. I disliked the story weirdly integrated into the quest and the fact for most stuff in a zone i needed to talk with a NPC to be told in about 30 seconds what the zone was about.

All of this is personal preferences most coming from playing wow / swtor / rift. In the end it was not a bad game at all. It just was not something me or most of the guild seemed to enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    Are you completely oblivious to the fact we're in an economic downfall? I'm not playing Tera specifically because it has a sub. If a game isn't worth $15 a month, I will not pay, simple as that.

I will use that $15 to buy me a hoagie instead, and then some chips, and a large soda, and I'd have $5 left for something else.
    The economy is bad for some people but not all people. I always assume that people who can afford a computer, an internet connection and can buy games probably are not suffering economically. Online games aren't for poor people. There's enough people who can afford to buy games and be online to sustain a subscription model; e.g. WOW. GW 2 is after exactly those same people. The difference is they want to nickel and dime you out of your money. I simply prefer to pay a fixed and predictable amount each month for a game I enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Stellan View Post
    The economy is bad for some people but not all people. I always assume that people who can afford a computer, an internet connection and can buy games probably are not suffering economically.
    Bad assumption to make. My computer was a gift (3 years ago), my (terrible) internet connection is included in my rent, and I have to save up to buy games. I'd been looking for a good online game without a subscription for awhile because sparing even $15 extra a month was challenging.

I hate the attitude that poor people shouldn't play video games. It's my preferred choice of entertainment and most of the time online games give you the most bang for the buck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stellan View Post
    The economy is bad for some people but not all people. I always assume that people who can afford a computer, an internet connection and can buy games probably are not suffering economically. Online games aren't for poor people. There's enough people who can afford to buy games and be online to sustain a subscription model; e.g. WOW. GW 2 is after exactly those same people. The difference is they want to nickel and dime you out of your money. I simply prefer to pay a fixed and predictable amount each month for a game I enjoy.
    You know, because getting a computer for a birthday present, paying $60 ONCE (instead of you know seeing 6 movies, going out to eat and other such much more expensive forms of entertainment) and paying for Internet which everyone needs to have anyway is totally a tell tale sign that you can afford the ridiculously expensive $15 a month, you know, not like I need to buy other things, like food, or pay rent, or feed my dog...

PS: I go to school 17hrs, work 2 jobs to pay for said schooling, so don't even go with the "get a job" bull shit, and as I said gaming for 9-10 hours on the weekend is significantly cheaper then going out drinking or going to a movie.

---------- Post added 2012-11-27 at 11:21 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    Bad assumption to make. My computer was a gift (3 years ago), my (terrible) internet connection is included in my rent, and I have to save up to buy games. I'd been looking for a good online game without a subscription for awhile because sparing even $15 extra a month was challenging.

I hate the attitude that poor people shouldn't play video games. It's my preferred choice of entertainment and most of the time online games give you the most bang for the buck.
    *high-5s* YEAH!! Poor gamers unite!!
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

I left a month ago. When 25% of your content just plain doesn't work, for weeks, it is time to find a game wit Devs that aren't terrible. Plus the dungeon system was beyond retarded. They couldn't make it less fun if they tried.

Deleted
    GW2 is for sure my num 2/3 game depending on which one my friends and i will be playing on the day. But most of the time it will end up being 2's on wow. soo...

I wonder why B2P won't cut for GW2, while it would for games as AC/Dead Space or whatever "normal" title.

You buy a game, and you play the game. If you happen to get free content with it isn't that like a Win=Win situation? Or did we all got greedy at some point?

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhunter View Post
    Or did we all got greedy at some point?
    Since the dawn of time?

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhunter View Post
    You buy a game, and you play the game. If you happen to get free content with it isn't that like a Win=Win situation?
    Sure. Generally speaking, that is how B2P games function. Despite DLC being commonplace.

However, Guild Wars 2 is marketed as a B2P MMO directly in competition with other games of the genre such as World of Warcraft or The Old Republic. Further the developers of Guild Wars 2 have publicly stated they are going after World of Warcraft head on [Mike O'Brien, Forbes Magazine] and that their goal is to have more added content than any other MMO [Colin Johanson, Anet Blog].

Dead Space's designers didn't openly state they were going to beat Blizzard at the MMO game or that Dead Space was going to have more content than any other B2P game. Arena.net did.

It is within reason [and rightly so] for consumers to question the validity Guild Wars 2 in business model & content delivery.

And have they given cause to be concerned about that business model yet? I haven't.

And have they given cause to be concerned about that business model yet?
    Yea, actually.

Ok then. They seem to be a pretty good pace at 3 months. I mean world of warcraft has had periods of 9 months in between content additions, so you are paying $135 to rent their game. I maintain that gw1 and gw2 are much better value than any other mmo out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Ok then. They seem to be a pretty good pace at 3 months. I mean world of warcraft has had periods of 9 months in between content additions, so you are paying $135 to rent their game.
    I wasn't implying that concern of the business model is strictly centered around content addition or rapidity.

Anet have made some decisions and introduced items & systems that belie their ability to retain players profitably.

I maintain that gw1 and gw2 are much better value than any other mmo out there.
    Sorta incorrect to dubious here.

I played GW1 from it's alpha to currently. The bulk of significant content was in paid expansions. Most of the updates were minor. We didn't really get a DOA or ToPK every 2-3 months. GW1, like the sequel, was not contiguous either.

I don't mean to say the GW franchise is a poor value for the money. But certainly the degree and quality of content addition to GW1 and 2 have not eclipsed all other MMOs out there. With a couple actually eclipsing GW 1 and 2.

Well value in respect to time played versus money spent, there is not comparison for me. The GW franchise has trumped any other mmo. This is my own experience, I can't speak for yours.

We can't really have a discussion based on feels.

Sure we can. We are having one right now.

After all, almost every forum discussion (not only here but most forums) are subjective in nature.

If we just have discussions on objective topics, well then we might as well not have forums because there wouldn't be any discussion.

10+ Year Old Account
    I personally think if GW2 keeps chugging alon at this monthly content addition that Blizzard is going to sweat like a whore in church, because at that point their little illusion they spun on all their players that $15 a month is required for goo content would be shattered and the masses will begin to realize they've been fooled, which is never a good thing for the masses to figure out because that just leaves them with butt hurt rage!

That bein said, I think GW1 and GW2 are by far the best games to buy for gettin bang for your buck, I mean setiously, I've spent like 1-2years in GW1 and haven't even come close to completing everything I want, then GW2 hasn't even been out 3 months yet but it's keeping me thoroughly entertained an they're pumping out content faster then I go through it.
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

I highly doubt Blizzard are looking at Sunshine Island with sweat on their brow. Even more so that the millions of Warcraft players are looking at holiday events drooling "content..." on their lips.

And that is relevant because?

Because the poster above is asserting otherwise:

I personally think if GW2 keeps chugging alon at this monthly content addition that Blizzard is going to sweat like a whore in church, because at that point their little illusion they spun on all their players that $15 a month is required for goo content would be shattered and the masses will begin to realize they've been fooled, which is never a good thing for the masses to figure out because that just leaves them with butt hurt rage!
    Like, super unlikely. Mostly based on feels.