Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Dailies not neccesary for raid progession. (Maybe)

I am restoration shaman and the only piece I have from reputation vendors is the spirit necklace from the Dread Waste funny insects. I got honored with them while I was leveling my way to 90. Now, I play on a casual guild that raids every now and then when we can get everyone online on one night I am really happy with our progression (MV) so far 2/6 (really good attempts on the third boss last night). I have not done a daily since 90 and I am not having any problems staying at top of the charts in healing on our raids.

Also I am saving all my justice points and valor points for the new item upgrades system that is on testing right now. Wich gives players an alternative of getting better without doing dailies.

What are your thoughts? How are you staying at the top of your game right now? Dailies, LFR, Heroics, Crafting?

Deleted
    The thing with dailies is they're the exact opposite of "optional" - they're mandatory for some, and useless for others, there's no middle ground, which is what "optional" is. Congratulations, you're in the latter bag, but a feature shouldn't be that... polarising.

(For me, personally, they'd 1) mandatory, as I don't raid, 2) I wouldn't mind them much, as I'm more of a quester than anything)

10+ Year Old Account
    Any serious guild will expect their raiders to be putting in effort for their gear.
    The fact that your gear is fine in a 10m 2/6 casual guild is in no way reflective of more serious guilds.
    Capping vp and getting rep required for epics is mandatory to perform as well as possible in a raid until better gear drops can be obtained.
    Unfortunately this usually means having to do dailies for the rep and vp for these epics, not to mention the patterns, recipes and enchants that are all gated behind multiple week grinds that all require a large number of dailies that offer a poor rep return.

agreed with the other poster

unless you really enjoy questing and doing dailies, they are either completely mandatory for a serious progression guild or completely optional/useless for a casual guild

The problem is, brace yourself, they didn't make the rep items HARD ENOUGH to get. Yes I know I will catch flame for that comment...
    Had they made the rep items take, for example, a month of grinding dailies every day (or better yet, probably 2 months), to get, then raiders would have better gear by the time they opened them up. As it is, they took long enough to be a PITA for most raiders (turning a 3 night a week raider into a 7 night a week daily farmer), but not long enough to categorically discourage players (raiders) from trying to get them. The unfortunate side effect of LFR however is that had they made them take too much longer to get, even the "casual" raiders would have access to enough alternative items that most of them would have not had any use for the VP items either, or at least wouldn't have considered them worth the time investment (or couldn't afford the time investment).

At this point I think it safe to say that if Blizzard is going to continue with making content "accessible," that there is really no place (or at least limited) for Rep Vendors selling "powerful" rewards (i.e. cosmetics are fine)

TL;DR for any guild that has spent any time on heroic modes by this point, rep gear was "mandatory" (read: required by their guild).

I play casually and raid with a what i would call semi casual guild. I didnt do dailies since i was a hpal and most of my best stuff i got from pvp gear. I wrecked healing meters, sometimes doing more healing than the other 2 healers combined. Even if ur gear is fine, you will always get to a threshold where you cant progress any further. Wiping forever is never fun. Doing some dailies here and there in the long run helps. I usually dont spend more than 15 min a day doing them. Got my 1st set of extra rolls last night after being 90 for 3 weeks. I got 2 extra pieces of gear which will help progression despite us being casual. (i also just rerolled tank so yeah pvp gear wont work for me anymore ) i usually do them in groups to get them knocked out really fast.

We raid maybe 4 hours per week and we are 6/6 1/6 very close on 2/6 just short on dps last week.

In short dailies are not mandatory to progress and to preform better than ur guildies, but they do help. Even if ur the highest dps or heals, improving urself just a tad can make a difference and make raiding more fun for everyone.

Dailies aren't about rep gear for raiders. It's all about the coins. That's where it's mandatory.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post
    Dailies aren't about rep gear for raiders. It's all about the coins. That's where it's mandatory.
    This, this, and more of this.

People need to get off the "VP gear isn't really that good anymore" and wake up. Dailies are necessary (and will be the REST OF THE EXPANSION) because of coins. Of course at some point VP gear isn't that good. This happens every single tier. It isn't about VP gear or reputations at all.

There needs to be another way of getting tokens. Blizzard needs to wake up and realize this. I, for one, no longer need any VP gear, but I am forced to keep doing dailies regularly because of coins.

Once peoples lesser coin supplies run out they'll be forced to do dailies they don't need for Elder coins, 15% chance to get loot that you can strategically use on heroic/valuable(trinkets/weapons) tables adds up to a lot of gear when your entire raid are rolling the dice.
    Last edited by Valsh; 2012-11-20 at 06:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabsy View Post
    agreed with the other poster

unless you really enjoy questing and doing dailies, they are either completely mandatory for a serious progression guild or completely optional/useless for a casual guild
    The choice is still yours as to what you type of player you are though. If you choose to be a progression raider then you know full well going into it that you have to put more time and work into gearing than someone who is casual. You can't state dailies are mandatory when you've had the choice all along not to do them.

---------- Post added 2012-11-20 at 06:22 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mammoon View Post
    This, this, and more of this.

People need to get off the "VP gear isn't really that good anymore" and wake up. Dailies are necessary (and will be the REST OF THE EXPANSION) because of coins. Of course at some point VP gear isn't that good. This happens every single tier. It isn't about VP gear or reputations at all.

There needs to be another way of getting tokens. Blizzard needs to wake up and realize this. I, for one, no longer need any VP gear, but I am forced to keep doing dailies regularly because of coins.
    You don't need coins though. You want the extra loot but it is not needed so then yes dailies are still optional.

I blame Obama not Blizzard people have become lazy and just want welfare shit handed to them without putting any effort into anything what would u like blizzard to hand out free welfare token cards to swipe at the vendor!!!!

They're "maybe not necessary" much in the same way that gear above ilvl 470 isn't "necessary" since the bosses can be killed without that gear (probably much worse gear too).

If you're a thinking human being with a decently functioning brain then you already know this, and you also already know that it's not about if a boss can be killed in worse gear, it's about if you can kill him in worse gear, and about how much time/effort it would take you to kill him in that worse gear relative to all the other gear available to you.

It's also about other shit like what gear upgrades are aviailable, what is the time investment for those upgrades for you personally (can it be done solo?), whati s the time investment for *other* people when it comes to upgrading *your* gear (you do need other people's time as well?; in which case you need to account for their schedule as well as your own, and so on).

Considering that rep rewards and tokens provide unique, powerful gear upgrades that can be aquired solo and make stuff go faster and easier for you and your entire guild, and many times serve as barriers to completing raid instances for someone of X skill level, they are "necessary" in as meaningful a sense as that word can be used without digressiong into pendantic arguments about what is mathematically possible or impossible.

Of course, if you don't care about being able to preform well in-game, then - obviously - it doesn't matter, but at that point why should anybody who does care about how they preform in-game listen to anything you have to say? "I don't care about this, so you shouldn't either" isn't a very compelling argument... I could just as well say "I care about this, so you should too" and we'd be right back to nowhere.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Couldn't agree more Cattlehunter. I can't express how annoyed I am every time that Daxxari (or however his name is spelled) says on the forums that things aren't mandatory because you are making the choice to play at that level. When I signed up for a guild that plays at the level it does, I didn't take into account the need to spend as much time outside of raid doing quests, as I was inside. It's one thing to do enough outside of raids to afford repairs/food/flasks/etc. but when you tack onto that the need to complete a minimum 90coins worth of dailies, as well as, up front, that obnoxious "every daily, every day" that was occurring, just to not hold the raid back, that's where the complaints are coming from. And no I'm not the "top 100" guild raider, the closer you get to those guys, the less people complain IMO, as they're used to putting in ridiculous time in game in things like alt runs etc. The guilds like mine on the other hand which raid for around 10hours a week, and clear heroic content, suddenly we've went from gems/chants/flasks/food/repairs to tack on coins/rep/valour (because valour isn't even close to capped with a full clear of 16/16 heroic bosses :S), which effectively requires us to go from a 10hour a week guild to a 20+ hour a week guild, just to "keep up" with our normal rate of progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post
    I honestly have a hard time taking this seriously when raiders are complaining about sitting on 200+ lesser coins that they can't turn in because they're doing so many dailies that they're exceeding the weekly limit on elder coins.

In any event, it's not the raiders doing most of the complaining. They're aware of the time and effort to put forth for raiding. It's usually the casual player who is inexplicably doing dailies on 4-5 alts that complains the most.

Quote Originally Posted by nnelson54 View Post
    I honestly have a hard time taking this seriously when raiders are complaining about sitting on 200+ lesser coins that they can't turn in because they're doing so many dailies that they're exceeding the weekly limit on elder coins.

In any event, it's not the raiders doing most of the complaining. They're aware of the time and effort to put forth for raiding. It's usually the casual player who is inexplicably doing dailies on 4-5 alts that complains the most.
    It'll only take 2 weeks to burn through those lesser coins.

I took a look at my toon on armory the other day, and was a little startled to see how much of my gear has come through coins.

I have no complaint about the dailies. But I do suspect Blizz will look at making those coins available from some other source.

Quote Originally Posted by nnelson54 View Post

I only needed 2 pieces of gear from rep, one Klaxxi, one Shado-Pan. After I reached revered with those i had no reason to keep doing dailies. After my excess coins ran out last week I had to do dailies for this week's coins only. It is annoying having to do at least 45 quests a week in addition to everything else just to have coins to get gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Arridor View Post
    The thing with dailies is they're the exact opposite of "optional" - they're mandatory for some, and useless for others, there's no middle ground, which is what "optional" is. Congratulations, you're in the latter bag, but a feature shouldn't be that... polarising.

(For me, personally, they'd 1) mandatory, as I don't raid, 2) I wouldn't mind them much, as I'm more of a quester than anything)
    Um, that is entirely the definition of optional.

It's like driving a car, depending on where you live it might seem like it's mandatory but still tons of people can get by without one because it's optional.

Dailies are a privilege, no really, they are. Prior to them the only thing to do in the week was farm up the needed mats for your raid and maybe work on an alt. Now you've got multiple avenues of character progression that only require a time investment. If you WANT, key word there want, your character to have a leg up then you'll be doing dailies every day, all dailies and going for at least revered ASAP. If you don't want that benefit then you really aren't hurting yourself by just running heroics until you gear up for LFR for your content.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeraxis View Post
    The choice is still yours as to what you type of player you are though. If you choose to be a progression raider then you know full well going into it that you have to put more time and work into gearing than someone who is casual. You can't state dailies are mandatory when you've had the choice all along not to do them.

---------- Post added 2012-11-20 at 06:22 PM ----------

You don't need coins though. You want the extra loot but it is not needed so then yes dailies are still optional.
    What a terribly flawed argument. You can make that argument for anything. Here, look: You don't need to breathe. You want to live but it is not necessary to live so yes, breathing is optional.

Completely not necessary.

Through regular questing, you'll get honored with Klaxxi and Shado Pan. This gives you two epics for VP. After that, just grind dungeons for gear until you have ilvl 460 and start doing Raid Finder. Get a couple more pieces to hit 470, then keep doing RF until you get bored.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been working on gearing my alt. I've got a couple of 483 pvp pieces, 3 pieces from LFR, tier gloves and quest boots from sha. The only rep i've done is golden lotus since i was honored with klaxxi and near-honored with shado-pan just from levelling so I've got valor neck and chest now as well. 474 ilvl and really only one of the pieces I have came from dailies.