Corsair Vengeance and Thermaltake Frio

So being a PC building noob, I didn't think ahead of time on this. But I had ordered Corsair Vengeance Ram for my comp not thinking about measurements. I have the Thermaltake Frio which is a very big heatsink. I am also using this motherboard ASUS P8Z77-V LK. My question is this. There are 4 ram slots. I am only using 2 sticks of RAM. Can I put the ram in any of the slots to make room for the cooler? Like using the back two slots.

Deleted
    even managed to get high profile ram underneath my noctua dh-14 so it should work (swapping afterwards is a PITA )
    the clearance is likely just <2mm or alike if that is an issue you could place the ram in the outer slots to avoid this.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Starfighter View Post
    So being a PC building noob, I didn't think ahead of time on this. But I had ordered Corsair Vengeance Ram for my comp not thinking about measurements. I have the Thermaltake Frio which is a very big heatsink. I am also using this motherboard ASUS P8Z77-V LK. My question is this. There are 4 ram slots. I am only using 2 sticks of RAM. Can I put the ram in any of the slots to make room for the cooler? Like using the back two slots.
    Yes, you can do that. It should work fine, regardless of the slots. But keep in mind, that you will most likely lose dual channel, if you use the outermost two slots (because on most motherboards, it's either slot 1+3 or 2+4 for dual channel).
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

Quote Originally Posted by Biernot View Post
    Yes, you can do that. It should work fine, regardless of the slots. But keep in mind, that you will most likely lose dual channel, if you use the outermost two slots (because on most motherboards, it's either slot 1+3 or 2+4 for dual channel).
    I think I'll be ok if I use slots 2 and 4. I just don't think I can fit the cooler over the first ram slot.

---------- Post added 2012-11-20 at 11:18 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    even managed to get high profile ram underneath my noctua dh-14 so it should work (swapping afterwards is a PITA )
    the clearance is likely just <2mm or alike if that is an issue you could place the ram in the outer slots to avoid this.
    Which Ram are you using? I think Vengeance is the tallest ram out there.