Poll: How much longer for the human species?

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    What's going on with the entire December 21 2012? Mayans never predicted the end, it's a lie, all they "predicted", if you still want to call it that way, is a CHANGE, which they totally were correct about...

I mean, get it straight already... it's a freaking mass media disinformation, just as 90% of things they actually say.
    Technically, they did not predict anything at all.
    It's just the start of a new b'ak'tun, a new time period if you will.
    It will start yet again from 13.0.0.0.0, emerging the 14th b'ak'tun according to the Mayans.
    One B'ak'tun is 144,000 days, which equals about 394.5 years.
    One B'ak'tun is 20 K'atun, which again is 20 Tun.
    Since it's the 14th (since they start from 0), this means that the Mayan would think that the first B'ak'tun started approximately 5523.2 years ago.

I may be wrong in my calculations, but anyhow, that's all there is to it. It's just a change of calendar.

Edit:
    Right, did something wrong already. Was a bit to hasty on my calculator, but I have corrected the mistake.
    Last edited by Benitora; 2012-11-22 at 10:38 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabby
    I'm Commander Crabby, and this is my favorite forum on the website.

Deleted
    when we're all dead.

Deleted
    Not in the near future. A lot of people somehow believe that life on earth will end within their lifespan. Unless a comet hits us, I don't think that's gonna happen. Let me ask this question. Why should we go extinct?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by raintrees View Post
    honestly with how fucking retarded we are as a whole, im sure we'll be our own demise alot sooner than most people think.
    This. I give the human race approx 100 more years. If a radical rethinking process does not happen, we're toast as a civilization. Extinction however would require some outside influence.
    Last edited by Granyala; 2012-11-22 at 10:49 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    This. I give the human race approx 100 more years. If a radical rethinking process does not happen, we're toast as a civilization. Extinction however would require some outside influence.
    Yeah humanity was so "fucking retarded as a whole" that we managed to get where we are now. Inventing things like, you know, the computer you're using right now. Why would we go extinct in the next hundred years? Our population numbers are continually rising.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    We're talking about extinction here, not the collapse of human civilization. Humans have been around longer than civilization has.

Quote Originally Posted by dupti View Post
    Something.

Probably 200-500 years

---------- Post added 2012-11-22 at 08:51 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    Not in the near future. A lot of people somehow believe that life on earth will end within their lifespan. Unless a comet hits us, I don't think that's gonna happen. Let me ask this question. Why should we go extinct?
    Because extinction is cool

Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    What's going on with the entire December 21 2012? Mayans never predicted the end, it's a lie, all they "predicted", if you still want to call it that way, is a CHANGE, which they totally were correct about...

I mean, get it straight already... it's a freaking mass media disinformation, just as 90% of things they actually say.
    wanna chill it with the fonts? it was a choice for the trolls

Deleted
    When this takes place, we could survive though! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Androme..._Way_collision

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfootbigd View Post
    wanna chill it with the fonts? it was a choice for the trolls
    Different fonts are awesome, though!(Sorry, I got bored).

Something.

10+ Year Old Account
    We will end up exterminating ourselves with nuclear warfare

I'm wondering: Will we still be homo sapiens sapiens should we go extinct in let's say 100 million years? Will we still be homo sapiens sapiens by that time, if evolution has changed our physique? Just look at how much evolution has changed species the last 100 million years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taters91 View Post
    When this takes place, we could survive though! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Androme..._Way_collision
    4 billions years? I think you skipped some key points in the article:

"Without intervention, by the time that the two galaxies collide, the surface of the Earth will have already become far too hot for liquid water to exist, ending all terrestrial life, which is currently estimated to occur in about 1.4 billion years due to gradually increasing luminosity of the Sun."

We'll be dead way before then if we somehow manage to never leave this rock and manage to survive for 1.4 billion years.

"Such an event would have no adverse effect on the system and chances of any sort of disturbance to the Sun or planets themselves may be remote."

Assuming we somehow manage to stay in stagnation for 1.4 billion years and never leave the solar system and we manage to survive the sun going kaboom (if we managed to survive that, we'd have the technology to get off the planet in the first place, but let's ignore that), we'd still be fine, because our solar system wouldn't feel and adverse effect.

Something.

Our sun's expiration date is roughy a billion years.

I don't see anything killing us before that, except maybe the off-chance of getting hit by two major disasters in a row. Something like a nuclear war leaving us too crippled to prevent an asteroid from hitting our planet. Other than that we're too resilient and there's too many of us.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celticmoon View Post
    When our sun ends or when the Milky Way and Andromeda collide. But, then again, I'm sure we will have moved to another life supporting planet. The human race will go on for a very, very, very long time. I see us ending when the Universe expands so far that it destroys everything else.
    See my above post concerning the collision between the Milky Way and the Andromeda galaxies.

Personally, I believe that if we survive the 1.4 billion years for our sun to die, we'll likely have already left the solar system or figured something else out to divert our extinction. So, we'll either go extinct way before our sun die, or much much much after.

Something.

Deleted
    Never going extinct is not an option. Everything does.

At the rate we're going, there's a very decent chance it will be sooner rather than later.

Still, our technology - bound to kill our species - might make some survive for a few hundred years to come.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celticmoon View Post
    See my edited quote
    Ah, well that's fair.

Something.

Quote Originally Posted by Frizzlewits View Post
    the only question remains. how and when?
    That's precisely what the OP was asking ...
    OT: If we don't blow ourselves up soon because of some stupid war we might be here for quite some time. IMO there are too many things to consider here when answering the question.

Pretty sure we'll do irreparable damage to the planet before we develop the technology needed to terraform/travel to other habitable planets. I give us around 100 years, probably a lot less at the rate we are going.