Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account

In the market for a TV. No idea where to start!

I'm looking for a TV for my girlfriend and I for the bedroom but I have no idea where to start looking so I thought I'd ask.

The TV is mainly for watching TV and Movies. There will be no Blu-Ray so full HD probably isn't needed is it? It will mostly be actual TV, DVDs and USB files.
    We'd like something reasonable that will fit in the bedroom at sizes between 32" and 42"
    Built in Freeview is a definite plus as having more than one remote control will drive us nuts.
    Our maximum budget is around £350, possible £400. We're not fussed about any of the smartTV nonsense. We only watch TV in the evenings maybe 2-3 times a week.

One TV I have been looking at is This Panasonic as we saw it in comet and thought that screen looked smooth as anything.

I'm not sure whether plasma is the right choice; what's the major differences between plasma, LED and LCD?

Our current TV is a Toshiba 28Z47B with a random freeview box that's half broken so we're due an upgrade.

Thanks in advance guys

I can't give you specific tech information, as I was lost when I bought a TV, but I bought a 32 inch Vizio TV four-ish years ago at a Wal-Mart, and I have zero complaints. I do believe this is the link. Only $223.99, can't beat that value.

Just my two cents, but I'm curious what others have to say, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by carebear View Post
    I'm looking for a TV for my girlfriend and I for the bedroom but I have no idea where to start looking so I thought I'd ask.

The TV is mainly for watching TV and Movies. There will be no Blu-Ray so full HD probably isn't needed is it? It will mostly be actual TV, DVDs and USB files.
    We'd like something reasonable that will fit in the bedroom at sizes between 32" and 42"
    Built in Freeview is a definite plus as having more than one remote control will drive us nuts.
    Our maximum budget is around £350, possible £400. We're not fussed about any of the smartTV nonsense. We only watch TV in the evenings maybe 2-3 times a week.

One TV I have been looking at is This Panasonic as we saw it in comet and thought that screen looked smooth as anything.

I'm not sure whether plasma is the right choice; what's the major differences between plasma, LED and LCD?

Our current TV is a Toshiba 28Z47B with a random freeview box that's half broken so we're due an upgrade.

Thanks in advance guys
    Plasma is my preference for type of panel. In my opinion it produces the best blacks and overall color accuracy. LED uses LEDs to light the display [usually around the edges], LCD uses a backlight. The LEDs with local dimming would be my next choice [the LED's can be shut off in sections to produce a better black and grayscale]

I would 100% go with a Panasonic Plasma as long as the room isn't overly bright [sunroom]. The latest plasmas have an anti glare filter on them that work in normal rooms, but if theres going to be a lot of light I wouldn't go with a Plasma. Don't worry about the so called plasma burn-in that plauged so many in the past, as that is a thing of the past. You won't get burn in unless you TRY. [IE pause something for 8 hours].

EDIT: Also the Panasonic's are pretty good at filling the image to your screen if you aren't watching HD content.

Bloodsail Admiral dicertification's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    People still buy plasma tv's? Thought they used way more electricity though. LCD's are also lighter if I remember. So if mounting/moving it is a concern it should be considered.

I got a 42" Hisense 1080p LED from walmart for $388 and it had a better picture than every other display model except for the High Def Panasonic's.

---------- Post added 2012-11-17 at 10:56 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by dicertification View Post
    People still buy plasma tv's? Thought they used way more electricity though. LCD's are also lighter if I remember. So if mounting/moving it is a concern it should be considered.
    Plasma does use more energy but that translate to maybe an extra $6 yearly, the main issue I have with Plasma is the short life span, well that and it's kind of useless when the market is saturated with LED TV's that cost a fraction of the price and are just flat out superior in my personal opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by skrump View Post
    I got a 42" Hisense 1080p LED from walmart for $388 and it had a better picture than every other display model except for the High Def Panasonic's.

---------- Post added 2012-11-17 at 10:56 AM ----------

Plasma does use more energy but that translate to maybe an extra $6 yearly, the main issue I have with Plasma is the short life span, well that and it's kind of useless when the market is saturated with LED TV's that cost a fraction of the price and are just flat out superior in my personal opinion.
    I believe the trade-off is worth it, they use more power, but produce the most accurate picture. I don't factor power cost in when buying a display because its minimal. Also plasma's are rated to last as long as any other TV technology, you must be thinking of plasma's from many years ago lol. Mine will last 55 years if used 3 hours per day, so you do the math.

1. Samsung
    2. LG

Samsung has always been the best picture quality in my opinion and a great buy. I have a 32 inch for the bedroom that I've had for 7 years its an LCD but its still a great tv. The new LED ones are phenomenal also. If you have the money for a Samsung in the sizes you listed Id go for it. My next favorites are LG's, I currently have a 55 inch LED and it has been nothing but good to me great picture, lots of connections, and probably one of the best sounding speakers Ive had in a TV. Also LG seems to be a pretty affordable option now adays.
    CPU:i5 4670k@4.3Ghz GPU:Gigabyte GTX760 WF3 Mobo:Asrock Z87E-ITX RAM:8Gb GSkill Ares@1600MhzCase:Atomic Orange Bit Fenix Prodigy Cooling: Corsair H100i HDD:1Tb WD Cav Black SSD: Samsung 830 128Gb PSU:Seasonic M2II620 KB:Razer Black Widow Mouse:Razer Naga 2014

Deleted
    Absolutely STAY AWAY from LG and Samsung. Horrible picture quality, let alone build quality. Remember cheap korean crt tvs from 90s? Same story.
    I advise you to try with Sharp or Panasonic televisions. Sharp still produces their lcd tvs, Aquos line in Japan. Build quality is superb, picture quality is crisp and clear with really nice colors.
    My sister owns Panasonic TX-L32X5B which is 32inch but still, picture quality surpasses all of the Samsungs let alone LGs by far.
    Last edited by mmoc38ddf8bb99; 2012-11-20 at 10:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you have any sources to back up your claims about the horrible build/picture quality on LG & Samsung? My parents own a Samsung TV & I own a LG TV, both are absolutely stellar at their price.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Quote Originally Posted by newersumm View Post
    Absolutely STAY AWAY from LG and Samsung. Horrible picture quality, let alone build quality. Remember cheap korean crt tvs from 90s? Same story.
    I advise you to try with Sharp or Panasonic televisions. Sharp still produces their lcd tvs, Aquos line in Japan. Build quality is superb, picture quality is crisp and clear with really nice colors.
    My sister owns Panasonic TX-L32X5B which is 32inch but still, picture quality surpasses all of the Samsungs let alone LGs by far.
    Stay away from Sharp and Panasonic, horrible build and picture quality. See what I did there. Thats a very sad attempt at talking down about samsung or LG without any evidence about them being horrible.
    CPU:i5 4670k@4.3Ghz GPU:Gigabyte GTX760 WF3 Mobo:Asrock Z87E-ITX RAM:8Gb GSkill Ares@1600MhzCase:Atomic Orange Bit Fenix Prodigy Cooling: Corsair H100i HDD:1Tb WD Cav Black SSD: Samsung 830 128Gb PSU:Seasonic M2II620 KB:Razer Black Widow Mouse:Razer Naga 2014

go to wal-mart, grab a vizio of the size you want and you'll be completely happy with it

they're my favorite brand and i've tried most of them, just bought another one the other day, whether they're small or the larger ones you get more for your money with vizio than anything else (i've had toshiba which was good, sony, rca, samsung and some cheap shit that ended up looking like cheap shit)

I bought a 42 inch LCD Vizio, refurbished from Walmart around June for 338 dollars. It works great, mounts just fine, and was definitely within my budget :P It doesn't have a scratch on it. I'd swear it was brand new.