Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Dranosh Saurfang

Hey everyone, about Dranosh Saurfang also known as Saurfang the younger what are your thoughts about him as a character?

He was the obvious best choice for the Warchief position to replace Thrall in the Shattering even Thrall admits it that if he would be alive he would be the best choice.

Do you think if he was the Warchief the Horde will turn much better and will be the same as the new Horde that Thrall created?

or do you think he will just be as power hungry as Garrosh then face the same destiny as Garrosh?

In my opinion he would be the best of the best even surpassing Thrall. He has strength, courage, and honor and doesn't shy to work together with the Alliance against a common enemy example will be the Wrathgate cinematic when he and Bolvar smashes the undead scourge.

Discuss and thanks for reading.

It's kind of a moot point now, considering he died a couple times and is now six feet under in Nagrand, at least if I'm remembering correctly. But while he may have worked well with Bolvar, he did also Leeroy Jenkins straight into the Lich King, which ranks pretty high on the Bad Decisions of All Time list. Then of course he was turned to the Scourge pretty easily compared to Bolvar, who at least made Arthas work for it.

With how he was written before he died, he certainly would be a better warchief than both Garrosh and Thrall. But keep in mind, Garrosh was also written to be somewhat honorable (Stonetalon), then Blizzard just totally did a 180 on him and made him a super-evil honorless crook. Why can't Blizzard do the same for Saurfang Jr.?

Even then, I don't think Dranosh has the peace-loving equivalency of Thrall. No doubt he would negotiate trade with the elves, exchanging orcish supplies for lumber and other important necessities. I don't think he would go "ME SMASH" on the night elves unless the night elves behaved irrationally.

With Garrosh as warchief, the Southfury Watershed has been contaminated by goblin industry, but if Saurfang Jr. was rational minded, he probably would have conserved the water to make it drinkable (assuming it is drinkable pre-goblin developments). Thus demand for water would soon be quenched (no pun intended).

With cooperating with the others, I'm convinced Saurfang would have good relations with Baine (or Cairne, assuming Garrosh doesn't do anything stupid), Vol'jin, and maybe Lor'themar. However, he may not spare the rod for Sylvanas because of her methods of conquest that Saurfang Jr. may deem "honorless." He may place all the leaders' pleas above Gallywix, knowing Gallywix cares only about money and himself.

TLDR: Basically, Saurfang Jr. as warchief would be kind of like Thrall, except stricter with policies, trying to uphold the main virtues in the Horde: Strength and Honor

Seeing as how he was silly enough to attempt a solo attack on The Lich King, i'd say he was even more brash than Garrosh was at the time.

---------- Post added 2012-11-20 at 06:36 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Drilnos View Post
    It's kind of a moot point now, considering he died a couple times and is now six feet under in Nagrand, at least if I'm remembering correctly. But while he may have worked well with Bolvar, he did also Leeroy Jenkins straight into the Lich King, which ranks pretty high on the Bad Decisions of All Time list. Then of course he was turned to the Scourge pretty easily compared to Bolvar, who at least made Arthas work for it.
    Bolvar was a paladin, Dranosh was simply a warrior. He never stood a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by iamthedevil View Post
    Seeing as how he was silly enough to attempt a solo attack on The Lich King, i'd say he was even more brash than Garrosh was at the time.
    Garrosh would've charged before the Alliance and commanded his soldiers to go KOS on any Alliance that join the battle..
    Intel i7-10700k | ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F GAMING
    ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 2080 Ti | 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2400Mhz
    A-Data SSD SP920 256GB | Seagate 1TB 7200rpm | NZXT Kraken x62
    Fractal Design Define R6 TG | be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 650W | Asus ROG Swift PG279Q
    Razer: Blackwidow Elite | Basilisk Ultimate | Nari Ultimate| Firefly | NZXT Hue+

He would have been a nice pick for warchief, but there is still his dad who would make an even better warchief, and will likely be the orc racial leader following MOP

Quote Originally Posted by Azurenys View Post
    Garrosh would've charged before the Alliance and commanded his soldiers to go KOS on any Alliance that join the battle..
    I would love to argue that, but now that you say it... lol. Ok, i'll say equally as brash.

Quote Originally Posted by Azurenys View Post
    Seeing as how he was the commander of the Northrend campaign, and all of the Horde forces present were already following his orders, if he was going to give that order he would have done it.

Deleted
    he did also Leeroy Jenkins straight into the Lich King, which ranks pretty high on the Bad Decisions of All Time list.
    He was the only one to actually assault the Lich King while the rest just stood there to get their asses handed to them by Putress.

Also, I suspect that if Saurfang Jr had the magical axe of his father he would've cleaved right through Frostmourne and won the entire war right there. So it wasn't such a bad decision in general, but maybe he should've been a little more careful around Frostmourne afterall.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    He was the only one to actually assault the Lich King while the rest just stood there to get their asses handed to them by Putress.

Also, I suspect that if Saurfang Jr had the magical axe of his father he would've cleaved right through Frostmourne and won the entire war right there. So it wasn't such a bad decision in general, but maybe he should've been a little more careful around Frostmourne afterall.
    Yes, that's what I said. Leeroy Jenkins. And I was not aware that Gorehowl had any magic properties.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, that's what I said. Leeroy Jenkins. And I was not aware that Gorehowl had any magic properties.
    I'm pretty sure he meant Broxingar magical axe. And Gorehowl is Grom's axe he is the father of Garrosh not Dranosh.

Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post
    I'm pretty sure he meant Broxingar magical axe. And Gorehowl is Grom's axe he is the father of Garrosh not Dranosh.
    Silly me, "his father's axe" threw me, since I was not aware Varok Saurfang even had a named axe. As for Broxigar's wooden one, didn't that disappear into a portal opening on the Burning Legion homeworld ten thousand years ago? I mean sure, it probably would have made a difference, but it's not really a realistic expectation for it to turn up.

Gorehowl doesn't. Other than being epic quality, in my bank, and dropped off some no-name Eredar in Kara...

10+ Year Old Account
    Silly me, "his father's axe" threw me, since I was not aware Varok Saurfang even had a named axe. As for Broxigar's wooden one, didn't that disappear into a portal opening on the Burning Legion homeworld ten thousand years ago? I mean sure, it probably would have made a difference, but it's not really a realistic expectation for it to turn up.
    "Brox's magical axe was found after the battle, having not been lost with his death on the other side of the Well, and washed up on the shore of the new Kalimdor. When Krasus returned to the present day, his first act was to take the axe directly to Thrall. Disguised as an orc shaman, Krasus told his tale of how Brox helped stop another demon invasion, and implored the Warchief to sing songs of Broxigar the Red, his legendary life, and his glorious sacrifice." from wowpedia and also from the novels WotA.

To be honest it would make a big difference such as how Fel'o'melorn (Flame strike) Kael'thas sword parried Frostmourne after it got stronger when reforged.

"Brox's magical axe was found after the battle, having not been lost with his death on the other side of the Well, and washed up on the shore of the new Kalimdor. When Krasus returned to the present day, his first act was to take the axe directly to Thrall. Disguised as an orc shaman, Krasus told his tale of how Brox helped stop another demon invasion, and implored the Warchief to sing songs of Broxigar the Red, his legendary life, and his glorious sacrifice." from wowpedia and also from the novels WotA.

To be honest it would make a big difference such as how Fel'o'melorn (Flame strike) Kael'thas sword parried Frostmourne after it got stronger when reforged.
    Ok, yeah. Never saw that page before. Still doesn't change the fact that he didn't have it when he face pulled Arthas.

But because it came from Knaak's WotA drivel it should be disregarded as ever having existed, and therefore *not* be present in game, ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    He served his purpose I suppose. A fairly strong minor character (I liked him in both Nagrand and Dragonblight) with a lot of potential, whose death created a very deliberate void for his less... graceful foil to step up.

10+ Year Old Account
    The thing with dranosh is, he would have been to good a replacement for Thrall, going from one good warchief to another good one, it might not have created the drama in having a douchebag like Garrosh in his place.
    Also, they would of have to really build on dranosh a lot more too, since before the wrath gate it wasn't even known that saurfang had a son, so he had even less lore development then garrosh. We also just assume dranosh would have been as wise and forthright as his father, but we simply don't know how he would have been.

But then, if he was, Saurfang probably would have been close to help teach him, I always found it a bloody shame there wasn't more development between them both, and that all dranosh ended up as was an excuse for a raid boss.
    #boycottchina

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok, yeah. Never saw that page before. Still doesn't change the fact that he didn't have it when he face pulled Arthas.
    You mean the flame strike? yes he did it was in fact in the Rise of the Lich king Chris novel that Kael and Arthas as a death knight battled each other in 1 vs 1 combat and there he managed to parried Frostmourne direct hit but then was starting to lose and decided to retreat.

You mean the flame strike? yes he did it was in fact in the Rise of the Lich king Chris novel that Kael and Arthas as a death knight battled each other in 1 vs 1 combat and there he managed to parried Frostmourne direct hit but then was starting to lose and decided to retreat.
    No, Dranosh and the wooden axe.