Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalnik View Post
    I believe that if it's interstate (between 2 or more states) or international commerce, they can regulate it. But, if it's commerce entirely within the state, the Federal government should not be able to regulate it (although they'll likely try).

At least, that's what this lay person was lead to believe by teachers and the plain text of the Constitution.
    Under (I want to say FDR) the SCOTUS expanded the commerce clause to also apply to intrastate commerce as well as personal production of a product because it affects the total demand of the country and thus interstate commerce.
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    Meh, they can talk all they want to, but ultimately it's none of their business. Hopefully the country will decriminalize all narcotics in the near future so we can stop spending at least a little of the money we waste policing the world.
    If you're affiliated with an organization such as United Nations to such a degree as the US is, then it is their business. I agree with your latter half of your second statement saying we should stop spending so much money on what should be considered trivial matters in comparison to other things. But I also think it's in the best interests of the world that drug use stops. Since that'll never happen, we should look at other ways to keep drug use limited while keeping people happy and making society a better place. I don't think decriminalizing all narcotics should be allowed, as some are really dangerous if widespread. Decriminalizing marijuana is a first step at this option. Who knows whether it'll keep drug use at the same amount or not. I might even lower it. I personally think this won't affect society much at all, for better or worse, but legalizing the rest of the drug family I don't think will be so good.

Yeah the Marshall Court made the Commerce Clause pretty broad. Necessary and Proper Clause is a big part of it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mistuhbull View Post
    Head of the UN group whose job is to be a puritanical hardass about drugs is being a puritanical hardass about drugs? Well color me shocked.

Breaking News: Water is Wet!
    The head of the UN Drug commitee or whatever needs to learn the same thing that the US government is learning: marijuana is less harmful than alcohol, AND has more benefits. It needs to be treated in a similar respect.

People sure are obsessed with this drug...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karosene View Post
    Where's the Tea Baggers screaming about UN poking their ass into our dealings?

Oh, right, they're hypocrites.
    <-. The UN is a joke, and the sooner we stopping funding that marxist waste of resources the better. I am all for Colorado and Washington legalizing marijuana. If people want to get high, let them.
    For the night is dark and full of terrors

10+ Year Old Account
    As head of the International Narcotics Control Board it's his job to spout off about drug laws in member nations. He is wasting his breath, though. We Americans have a hard time giving a shit what our government says, let alone what the U.N. thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Roggan View Post
    The head of the UN Drug commitee or whatever needs to learn the same thing that the US government is learning: marijuana is less harmful than alcohol, AND has more benefits. It needs to be treated in a similar respect.
    A lot of drugs are less harmful in alcohol, really depends on the dosage though =P. It has more benefits (easily because alcohol has none at all, on a medicinal level at least), but I think the problem is people still drinking the same amount of alcohol, AND taking more and more marijuana on top of that. There we will probably see problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    They're not poking their nose into anything. They're saying "hey you guys should do X". Which is totally fine.
    That sounds a lot like poking their nose.

Anyway, that person is totally wrong. It didn't send "the wrong message abroad", much the opposite. For once everyone was happy and proud for something happening in the US. It definitely sent the right message: that even in a super-conservative nation people have the power to change things.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

10+ Year Old Account
    The USA doesn't listen or even consider the UN anyway so it doesn't really matter.

The federal government needs to stay the hell out of the internal affairs of the individual states.
    If one state wants to legalize prostitution/gambling/Marijuana/ public nudity/ abortion/ gay marriage it should be the states right to do so.

I think the Federal government has consistently proven themselves to be incompetent jackasses who do not understand their people and it is high time we remove their power to control us in favor of a more personalized state by state system.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Protean View Post
    USA is not only part of the UN, they're one of the founders.
    So? The more people you get together, the lower the collective IQ drops.

And because we are one of their founding members, and have Veto power, we can give two shits what the UN wants.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

It's funny that there is a fucking Narcotics Control Board or how is that shit called, BUT anyone can get drugs anytime. The uselessness of those fucking retards is astonishing, and their hypocrisy even more shocking. I bet they have large monetary resources to bravely fight against the evil drugs. Too bad the result is fucking ZERO. Congratulations, you captured 100 tones of cocaine. Too bad another 10000 tones are on sale right now. Motherfuckers.

Hey, UN, it's me, The United States of America. Yeah... I just wanted to suggest that you think about the fact that we pour billions of dollars into other countries due to the fact that during UN meetings they basically beg us and you guys say "Yeah, you should do that USA." So, maybe you should stop pestering me about something 1/25th of me did and maybe go after a couple other countries in the UN meetings that legalized it.

Thanks,
    The United States of America.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by skrump View Post
    The federal government needs to stay the hell out of the internal affairs of the individual states.
    If one state wants to legalize prostitution/gambling/Marijuana/ public nudity/ abortion/ gay marriage it should be the states right to do so.

I think the Federal government has consistently proven themselves to be incompetent jackasses who do not understand their people and it is high time we remove their power to control us in favor of a more personalized state by state system.
    You clearly have no idea how a nation functions.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Isn't it the UN's business to make other people's business their business?

Quote Originally Posted by mistuhbull View Post
    Under (I want to say FDR) the SCOTUS expanded the commerce clause to also apply to intrastate commerce as well as personal production of a product because it affects the total demand of the country and thus interstate commerce.
    This was the beginning of the end of federalism. The power mongers that were responsible for this opened a floodgate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wickard_v._Filburn

This ruling is/was complete bullshit.

---------- Post added 2012-11-21 at 03:05 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    You clearly have no idea how a nation functions.
    And you have no idea what Federalism is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chry View Post
    Just found this little article:

How do you feel about the UN poking its nose into state affairs?

I honestly believe it is none of their business what happens in states.
    Probably the same as everyone else does when we stick our nose in their business

---------- Post added 2012-11-21 at 03:07 AM ----------

Is that not getting into our business? They're directly asking the US to challenge a law that was put into place via the people's will. What's your definition of "poking their nose into"?
    Who's will exactly cause I'm pretty sure we don't feel the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirPiken View Post
    And you have no idea what Federalism is.
    Federalism does not give the states the power to do as they please willy-nilly. It gives them some local-governance leeway on issues that are unique or particularly important to the people within them. It does not give them the right to completely defy Federal law. The system is set up in a pyramid fashion for a reason, and last I checked, the Feds are on top, which means in a contest of laws, they win.

If Federalism acted the way you think it should, then it wouldn't even be Federalism. Individual states would be their own nations, giving states the powers of full nations is not the purpose of Federalism.

And IMO: Federalism is a ridiculously outdated concept anyway. We are ONE nation, not a collection of member states like the UN.

Just, be kind.

Deleted
    How do you feel about the UN poking its nose into state affairs?

I honestly believe it is none of their business what happens in states.
    How do you feel US poking its nose in every fucking affair in the world?

I honestly believe it is none of their business what happens outside of US.