Guy breaks NCAA record scoring 138 points alone in a game.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-bask...scoring-record

Holy crap, that's really awesome. Discuss.
    No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is not a bash, rather a "naive" approach with European eyes......

Living in the US for 15 years, I still can't wrap my head around the hype and fuzz over "kids" sports. It amazes me simply how tens of thousands of people pilgrim to youth sports events every week across the aisle, no matter what sports, no matter what level. I've asked around, dozens of people I know. No one really had an answer.
    Contributing to it, that there really isn't a clear measurement in place either.
    Rankings are determined by polls, rather by plain results.

We Europeans don't roll like that at all. You claim to be good, you better have proof.
    From there the entire system is set up. Split into leagues, where everyone plays everyone twice. Once at home, once away. Leagues are within a whole ladder system of divisions. That applies to all age ranges.
    At the top of the ladder sits the main professional league. Below that multiple weaker leagues. Teams can advance up, or relegate down.
    From there, it's always clear how to actually determine a teams, and a match quality.
    If a team from the 3rd division plays a friendly against a 7th division team, the outcome is rather foreseen, and the value of such win of the 3rd division team is pretty much on par with a used piece of toilet paper, regardless of the outcome.

Europeans, and most of the World only "value" adult sports. And even there mainly professional sport. Not because of the commerce and franchise sitting behind the sport itself, but because of the quality level.
    With that, naturally comes, youth sports is something of very little exposure.
    You find moms, dads, team staff and a few stray visitors at youth sports events.
    As an example, like for Germany. It would be possible to sell out the German Cup final about 10 - 20 times. That many tickets could be sold. (pretty similar to the Superbowl popularity, could do the same there I guess). Youth teams (they are the future professionals in large parts) , which are the equivalent to college teams, have a cup final too. They can be happy to get 5000 visitors, if they stand outside and catch a few more with lassos.
    And if there was such measuring system, like the one in the USA, no one would be found there.

That leads me to that record...... Although the number sounds amazing... But how valuable actually was it?
    It was a "kiddo", who scored in a match against some opponent of unknown skill level.
    As long as there's no clear definition on skill levels, all numbers are rather shallow, in my opinion.

While i skimmed through what you wrote, the guy is in the NCAA, (college basketball) most of these players are very skilled and got their by scholarships to play ball from High school. The teams aren't really unknown opponents, or unknown skill level either.

Most of the reason why people like watch people in college play are a bunch of reasons. I'll list a couple.

1. Some players are from certain High schools and people from that area like the watch those certain people progress in their career.
    2. College teams usually represent and area or state, and people follow them through their career because of this.
    3. They are up and coming stars that will be in pro leagues soon, (if great enough) and people want to follow this as well.

That's just a few reasons why it's so popular but there are a bunch bunch more reasons. xD It's not that we so much value these kids over adult sports, it's the fact that a lot of them in college sports WILL be in pro league eventually, and they define mostly what the future of that sport will look like.

The order is basically High school, then players if good enough progress to college, then if good enough there they progress to pro.
    Last edited by Song; 2012-11-21 at 01:22 PM.
    No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

10+ Year Old Account
    Aren't all college teams under the head of the NCAA?

I mean, in that case that's small colleges in Iowa.... How would they measure against the Hawkeyes?
    Where's the structure? What's the difference on the skills in clear definition?

Let me stick to Football ( i know it's baseball in this case, but I know a little more about football).
    Iowa Western is doing pretty good. They are even ranked high. However, if they had to face either the Hawkeyes or the Cornhuskers from Nebraska, they would get destroyed. How can they be ranked high if they are mediocre at best, and play only against more mediocre teams? Considering that both, Hawkeyes and Huskers are also rather mediocre.

I've learned also that the entire system has one huge flaw. Matches are basically purchased.
    For a team to play a good team the visitor team gets a salary. wtf.. that's not pure sports, that's merchandising, commercializing from start to end.
    From the bottom to the top it is one huge commercial machinery which is so flawed that the sport itself becomes secondary.

We Europeans watch our local players development too. Yet we look at it from another angle.
    We say. It's a teenager. Quality at teenage level is a whole different ballgame than adult, that besides all the influences young adults will face down the road.
    Love, the simplest reason for career ends. I know of what I speak, I have the example in the family. My dad was in the German national squad for his youth group, at the age of 17.. Then he met my mother.. That was the end of his sports career.... You choose me, or that ball... He chose her.
    Then there are injuries, other seductions like party, drinking, smoking, job and what not.
    There's a reason why only very few ever make it to professional level.
    We see it as pointless to get over excited about teens.

So like I said in my first post, I try to wrap my head around it. I really try to understand. So far I just can't.

Grinnel's offensive system is basically throw the ball across court, then lob it up.

Not he rocked, but his team.
    With a rate of under 50% of sucess for his throws this aint good.
    What rocked was his team that played good enough to enable him to take 102 shots from the field and 21 from the three-point line.

Seeing him having this hit rate of somewhat under 50% it is really astonishing that he took so much shots. A real goto-guy is beyonf 70% normally.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Aren't all college teams under the head of the NCAA?

I mean, in that case that's small colleges in Iowa.... How would they measure against the Hawkeyes?
    Where's the structure? What's the difference on the skills in clear definition?

Let me stick to Football ( i know it's baseball in this case, but I know a little more about football).
    Iowa Western is doing pretty good. They are even ranked high. However, if they had to face either the Hawkeyes or the Cornhuskers from Nebraska, they would get destroyed. How can they be ranked high if they are mediocre at best, and play only against more mediocre teams? Considering that both, Hawkeyes and Huskers are also rather mediocre.

I've learned also that the entire system has one huge flaw. Matches are basically purchased.
    For a team to play a good team the visitor team gets a salary. wtf.. that's not pure sports, that's merchandising, commercializing from start to end.
    From the bottom to the top it is one huge commercial machinery which is so flawed that the sport itself becomes secondary.

We Europeans watch our local players development too. Yet we look at it from another angle.
    We say. It's a teenager. Quality at teenage level is a whole different ballgame than adult, that besides all the influences young adults will face down the road.
    Love, the simplest reason for career ends. I know of what I speak, I have the example in the family. My dad was in the German national squad for his youth group, at the age of 17.. Then he met my mother.. That was the end of his sports career.... You choose me, or that ball... He chose her.
    Then there are injuries, other seductions like party, drinking, smoking, job and what not.
    There's a reason why only very few ever make it to professional level.
    We see it as pointless to get over excited about teens.

So like I said in my first post, I try to wrap my head around it. I really try to understand. So far I just can't.

NCAA has divisions and conferences to keep the games fair.

I'm curious, why does it bother you that people watch high school or college level sports? It's really not as complicated or confusing as you're making it out to be. The community of a high school will go see their athletes. That could be as large as a small town, but it's usually localized. A state or city will go see their collegiate athletes. College athletes perform at a level high enough that the games are entertaining and America loves football (you don't see college basketball or baseball on ESPN; they get dropped to ESPN2 or ESPN3). I'm not sure what the problem is.

Grinnell is a D3 school, which typically doesn't offer athletic scholarships. It's a walk-on division with the option of giving "recruited" players minor university perks. The scoring total is impressive from a limited time frame perspective, but the competition level is probably questionable as to how much effort was put into shutting this player down. Judging from the video link, there was no organized defensive effort. Just a bunch of guys playing an indoor pick-up game, similar to an intramural league.

I don't mean to take away from the guy's accomplishment. It's incredible and deserves recognition regardless of the competition. Apparently, a player on the other team also scored 70 points as well... might make for an interesting game of 1 on 1.
    Last edited by Gangplank; 2012-11-21 at 02:58 PM.

http://pioneers.grinnell.edu/boxscor...=mbball&id=575

That's a link to the box score. Heck the losing team had a guy score 70 points. The scary part about Taylor's points is how many would he had if he had a better shooting percentage.

I'm going to be brutally honest here...

This is a complete and utter joke, and he should feel ashamed of himself.

First of all, what he did was not impressive. His FG % is normal if not below a "good game". I could take that many shots of the same caliber difficulty and make the same if not more than he did, especially against that horrific defense. The guy on the other team shot 70 points with a 77% percentage. If he took the same amount of shots, he'd be the one all over national television. This is a fucking disgrace.

Second of all, I'm sure all the parents and friends of the other players on his team that showed up or drove a decent distance to see them play are pretty disappointed. You don't expect your kid to play in a basketball game and never touch the ball ONCE. The coach should feel like a fucking dimwit also.

Quote Originally Posted by obnoxiouslol View Post

First of all, what he did was not impressive. His FG % is normal if not below a "good game". I could take that many shots of the same caliber difficulty and make the same if not more than he did, especially against that horrific defense. The guy on the other team shot 70 points with a 77% percentage. If he took the same amount of shots, he'd be the one all over national television. This is a fucking disgrace.

Second of all, I'm sure all the parents and friends of the other players on his team that showed up or drove a decent distance to see them play are pretty disappointed. You don't expect your kid to play in a basketball game and never touch the ball ONCE. The coach should feel like a fucking dimwit also.
    THANK YOU. Not to mention they played a NON NCAA/NAIA TEAM. They schedule them for one purpose, to beat the record. It's a sham and shouldn't count, only against NCAA affiliates. It would be like an NBA team going against a D3 school.

And that "system". As a basketball player, it's incredibly easy to beat. He touts his system but yet they almost never win their conference championship, or any other coaches take up the system. Why? Because it's fucking terrible basketball and a good coach can easily beat it.

Quote Originally Posted by ripponesan View Post
    Not he rocked, but his team.
    With a rate of under 50% of sucess for his throws this aint good.
    What rocked was his team that played good enough to enable him to take 102 shots from the field and 21 from the three-point line.

Seeing him having this hit rate of somewhat under 50% it is really astonishing that he took so much shots. A real goto-guy is beyonf 70% normally.
    Not trying to take away from the team effort but that 70% figure is ridiculous. MJ Michael Jordan was right around 50% for his career. Not sure if he ever shot for more than 53% from the field his entire career.

Quote Originally Posted by obnoxiouslol View Post

Haven't seen the breakdown of shots for the game but that makes a big difference in FG%. Did you really just take the "yeah but I'm better than that guy" road?
    Last edited by Whitepepper; 2012-11-21 at 09:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinoashi View Post
    He doesn't need a source to know that he pretty much hit the nail on the head.
    “What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof.” - Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Whitepepper View Post
    Not trying to take away from the team effort but that 70% figure is ridiculous. MJ Michael Jordan was right around 50% for his career. Not sure if he ever shot for more than 53% from the field his entire career.

Haven't seen the breakdown of shots for the game but that makes a big difference in FG%. Did you really just take the "yeah but I'm better than that guy" road?
    I played D2 basketball and got past the first round of the D2 National Tournemanet so yes, I most likely am better than him. Not bragging about anything. My basketball skills aren't going to make me any $$$, but you had to challenge my credentials. His FG% was average or below average for a well played game. Any star point guard of a team that takes that many shots will put up that many points.

Perhaps you're missing his newly cemented record of most missed shots in a single game?

You're also comparing Michael Jordan's career shooting records in the NBA against the best defenders in the world to a D3 team shooting against a non NCAA team. Michael Jordan would knock down 85%+ of his shots in his prime if he was in the same shoes as that kid.
    Last edited by obnoxiouslol; 2012-11-21 at 11:51 PM.

It's ridiculous that this is even being considered a respectable record. It was basically like playing against a YMCA team and all about dishing the ball down the court so a guy could put up tons of 3s attempts against a nonexistent defense.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/basket...iferous-debate

That has a good behind the scenes look at the game. Some interesting tidbits:

- He shot 108 shots which to put in perspective Syracuse shot 103 and Connecticut shot 106 in their six overtime game in 2009.
    - He had no assists
    - During one stretch he had 28 consecutive points
    - Since 1993 the team has employed a 40 minute full court press with hockey like line changes and rapid shooting
    - One of their goals with the offense is to have 30 more shots than the opposing team
    - The team has led all playing levels in scoring 17 of the last 19 seasons
    - Taylor was allowed to not come out of the game because the coach wanted him to regain his confidence after a poor weekend.
    - This isn't the first time the team has allowed one player to rack up the score.
    - Their sports director has had over 300 media requests including one from Australia
    - The opposing director did try to double and triple team him

I've always found basketball to be an incredible easy sport. I played every year in high school and while I'm not saying I was a superstar, I was still decent. I averaged around 20+ points a game and it was a complete joke. You just stand there and shoot or dribble and kick out. There's not much to it. Looking at this so called "system", it's pretty sad how they just let the opposing team score and then would throw the ball down the court. That's not basketball and it wouldn't work in a higher league.

Quote Originally Posted by sTyLnK View Post
    I've always found basketball to be an incredible easy sport. I played every year in high school and while I'm not saying I was a superstar, I was still decent. I averaged around 20+ points a game and it was a complete joke. You just stand there and shoot or dribble and kick out. There's not much to it. Looking at this so called "system", it's pretty sad how they just let the opposing team score and then would throw the ball down the court. That's not basketball and it wouldn't work in a higher league.
    I would be curious to see what their win-loss record is since they employed the strategy. Not that I regularly follow college games but I have never heard of the school before. I would think if they winning championships I would have heard about them by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy88 View Post
    I would be curious to see what their win-loss record is since they employed the strategy. Not that I regularly follow college games but I have never heard of the school before. I would think if they winning championships I would have heard about them by now.
    You've never heard of them because they're D3, not D1. The whole offensive strategy is to get name recognition for a bunch of bs scoring records against really bad teams so the coach can sell a bunch of books.