Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    You know i just had this brilliant Idea
    . If you don't like Walmart don't shop there and if you don't like working for Walmart quit. If enough stop shopping there and or quit working there maybe they will get the message, but guess what more people shop at Wal-Mart then any other store in America and Walmart never had a problem finding people who wants to work there so they are doing more that is right then they do that is wrong
    If it was only THAT easy...

Let me give you a reality check...
    Walmart is pushing competitors out of business in large portions of the country. That they can do due to their practices which get them in trouble with the law times and again. For them it is cheaper, which is more profitable, to pay fines to the federal government instead of fixing the problems and not getting fined at all.
    Once a competitor got pushed out of business an entire region has but one alternative, for both... Job and shop..
    WALMART..

We had a Pamida here in town... It closed. Guess who's next closest?
    you guessed right.... Walmart. 20 miles away. next Pamida? 35 miles away.

Some people don't have that option. You do what you can to survive.

How much do they pay their child employees in China?

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    oh for crying out loud. stop your white knight attitude in favor of Walmart right there...
    Walmart... We are talking about the richest family on earth.
    List of Walton's family fortune as of 2012 published by Forbes.

Christy Walton and family US$25.3 billion
    Jim Walton US$23.7 billion
    Alice Walton US$23.3 billion
    S. Robson Walton US$23.1 billion
    Ann Walton Kroenke US$3.9 billion
    Nancy Walton Laurie US$3.4 billion

Total: US$102.7 billion

That's their "Family income"..

And...... your entire post is invalid...
    Companies have long realized that making your employees happy is the best way to maximize productivity.
    Thankfully there are other companies who prove it..... i.E. Google..
    Check how they treat their employees.
    I hate to rain some reality on your parade, but this is just about the most naive thing I've ever read. Did you just compare the workforce of Google to the workforce of Walmart? While I'm not claiming that Walmart employees are lazy, the reality is that the quality of employee at Google is higher and therefore they are worth the investment to be kept happy. The same cannot be said for Walmart, and yes I am speaking from experience. My first job in college was at Walmart and I can't even count the number of imbeciles that worked there.

Say what you will about Walmart being evil but it's highly likely they are paying their employees exactly what they are worth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maios View Post
    Say what you will about Walmart being evil but it's highly likely they are paying their employees exactly what they are worth.
    Which on average is only 2.50$ more an hour than I was worth at 14 years old working as a camp counselor nearly 20 years ago.

Anyone I know who works at WalMart absolutely loves it.

It's "hip" to hate Walmart, but I don't..brand name groceries 30% lower than other grocery stores...yeah...I'm a WalMart customer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    One could say that they are even bigger chumps since just about everyone under them can do their jobs just as well as they can. Seriously, the reason most the managers I knew were so scheming and conniving was because that's how they managed to get that far up in the first place. Most everything comes down from above, even what goes on what shelves, so its not like there is any sort of serious educational requirement involved. I do have a couple of cute memories though from my time in that piss pot.

Like the manager complaining about me missing some time. Me telling him that sorry but my family needed me home at the time. Then his reply that he, "cares more about Walmart than my family." Oh the look on his face when I replied with, "and I don't." Hehe... Or the one saying I couldn't leave because the team wasn't done, even though my condition for moving had been that I got off at midnight. Oh the look on his face when I opened his office door and asked if I needed to sign anything because "it's midnight and I'm leaving."

These were not people who could readily grasp the concept of employees having things like "options" or self-respect.
    What you describe is the very reason why significantly smaller economies than the US Economy give the USA a run for it's money. In almost every single modern industrial nation employees have rights, and job environments, American workers can only dream of.
    And it results in higher productivity.... Plus... They are a lot healthier too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    You know i just had this brilliant Idea
    . If you don't like Walmart don't shop there and if you don't like working for Walmart quit. If enough stop shopping there and or quit working there maybe they will get the message, but guess what more people shop at Wal-Mart then any other store in America and Walmart never had a problem finding people who wants to work there so they are doing more that is right then they do that is wrong
    I didn't like working at Walmart so I quit and I don't like shopping at Walmart so I don't. I'm not shy about telling everyone why I quit and why I don't either. Though I wouldn't say Walmart "never" has trouble finding people to work there. "Something" happened at some Walmart in South or North Dakota and pretty much everyone quit, or were fired. So word came down that they were looking for "volunteers" to go up there and work. No pay raise involved but "supposedly" they would help with room and board. Only one lady was dumb enough to take them up on the offer and when the time came? No one had bothered to think about how they were going to get her there. Hehe... Ended up sticking her on a bus.

Hell, they'll hire just about anyone they think will actually show up. Was in HR doing one of those, I can sleep through this, tests and got to listen to one interview. The kid pretty much admitted to robbing a gas station and had some major body odor issues. You know what? They hired him.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Wow. Really? This is what kids complain about these days?

I've had jobs like that. But I did them anyways, and learned how to overcome the challenges they presented, and moved on and moved up in life.

I didn't run away after 30 minutes and go cry about it on the internet.

EDIT: Also, to the people talking about retail managers making millions of dollars, you are so wrong it's not even funny. Retail managers make chump change.

WOW! really where you from. I've worked for a Wal-mart in a small ass town in Georgia, population maybe 7k+ GM there made roughly around $25 an hour. Hell i'm a supervisor at KFC now my GM there makes around $16 an hour. So yeah long story short if your not in high tier management with a company your not making shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    Which on average is only 2.50$ more an hour than I was worth at 14 years old working as a camp counselor nearly 20 years ago.
    Yea, and my grandma gave me $20 for spending 30min mowing her lawn when I was 12. $40/hr!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOO

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maios View Post
    I hate to rain some reality on your parade, but this is just about the most naive thing I've ever read. Did you just compare the workforce of Google to the workforce of Walmart? While I'm not claiming that Walmart employees are lazy, the reality is that the quality of employee at Google is higher and therefore they are worth the investment to be kept happy. The same cannot be said for Walmart, and yes I am speaking from experience. My first job in college was at Walmart and I can't even count the number of imbeciles that worked there.

You cannot rain reality on my parade when you try to defend the inhuman handling of an american corporation.
    The reality parade should rather rain on you... US workforce lives behind reality around 50 - 100 years.

A few companies in the USA have came to the conclusion that it's better to go the other way..
    Google doesn't have all high skill jobs in it's company.. ya know there are labor jobs too in a large business.
    Cafeteria workers, cleaning stuff. People who load and unload materials..
    They get the same treatment, like every other employee.

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2167213.html

So... apparently WalMart has a large majority of employees full-time. Didn't know that.

Apparently WalMart is one of the better places to work in retail. Didn't know that.

This is ludicrous and, at least in my area, is DEFINITELY not the case, here's a quote:

He also said that employees can get health insurance for roughly $17/week. Anyone know if that's true?

Quarterly bonuses? 82% of eligible employees got the bonus, according to him.

I especially loved this one:

my GF works at wallmart, and those figures are accurate,. she works full time makes around $11, after 1 year. has health insurance for around $70 monthly. Anyone who wants to work full time can.

Contrast that to when I worked a union grocery store job: made $.50 over min wage, no one was ever allowed to work full time, so the grocery never had to give benefits, wallmart crushes the competition from union grocery stores in terms of taking care of employees, it isnt even close.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelyorc View Post
    It's "hip" to hate Walmart, but I don't..brand name groceries 30% lower than other grocery stores...yeah...I'm a WalMart customer.
    I don't shop at walmart because I can afford better, I'm too old to care about being hip. I buy groceries at PCC, because I don't work at Walmart, so I can afford to by fresh and local produce. Unlike those who work for Walmart, I can afford to buy quality over quantity. Sadly, Walmart is the second largest employer in US. Meaning, a lot of people can only afford to shop at Walmart, due to the low pay Walmart pays. This is where I get a picture of a snake eating it's own tail.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khoranth View Post
    my GF works at wallmart, and those figures are accurate,. she works full time makes around $11, after 1 year. has health insurance for around $70 monthly. Anyone who wants to work full time can.

Contrast that to when I worked a union grocery store job: made $.50 over min wage, no one was ever allowed to work full time, so the grocery never had to give benefits, wallmart crushes the competition from union grocery stores in terms of taking care of employees, it isnt even close.
    Sounds like you didn't have much of a union.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

I work at target as a Unloader / stocker and i get paid 14.50 an hour.. Been there for five years And deal with the usual yearly retail bs ... But it's easy and Extremely flexible ..

Deleted
    Walmart came to Germany and opened up some stores. Said stores were closed in the first couple of days by the officials because the employee contracts stipulated by Walmart infringed workers rights and multiple laws. Walmart left Germany. And still you can buy all the same cheap junk food in Germany as you can in the U.S and anywhere else for that matter. And still there are a lot of rich ass people in Germany.

Owners and investors can still become disgustingly rich without exploitation of their workforce. It seems that the American system is currently geared towards making the richest even richer at the expense of everyone else (because hey it matters so much whether you have 1 billion or 2 billion U.S. dollars, right?). Anyway good luck to the sane yanks trying to correct the system - you'll prevail sooner or later ^^.

I don't shop at walmart because I can afford better, I'm too old to care about being hip. I buy groceries at PCC, because I don't work at Walmart, so I can afford to by fresh and local produce. Unlike those who work for Walmart, I can afford to buy quality over quantity. Sadly, Walmart is the second largest employer in US. Meaning, a lot of people can only afford to shop at Walmart, due to the low pay Walmart pays. This is where I get a picture of a snake eating it's own tail.
    And how much do you think someone is worth working a cash register and stocking shelves? And are you also saying that cheap, affordable product is bad?

10+ Year Old Account
    I never shop for groceries at Walmart. period.
    I support the local small business store, and buy there. Sure, sometimes costs more. But it's worth it, and the right thing to do.
    I use the opportunity to shop in the city when I get there every other week. Then I also don't use Walmart.
    Anything else Walmart sells I can get easily in other stores too.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelyorc View Post
    Anyone I know who works at WalMart absolutely loves it.

Oh, I'm a WalMart shopper myself, it's called being financially smart. The problem is (as a whole) the reason the prices are so cheap. It's a combination of a.) telling manufacturer's this is what we'll pay and you will like it, or miss out on 4,000+ stores that inherently clean out your products and b.) paying employees shit.

It's just honestly how the real-world works and why WalMart is as big a success that it is. They know damn well (and I'd love for someone to challenge me on this) that a very, very small percentage of people won't shop with them out of spite, and the rest of the world will ALWAYS shop at the cheaper store.

Example: There's at LEAST 7 different grocery stores in a 20 mile radius of me. Almost all of the other stores (as an example) sell a 24-pack of soda for at LEAST $2 more and that's WITH their "store" card. Obviously not all products are that great of a disparity between prices but it's simple facts WalMart will always be cheaper than almost every store on almost every item.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbine View Post
    Walmart came to Germany and opened up some stores. Said stores were closed in the first couple of days by the officials because the employee contracts stipulated by Walmart infringed workers rights and multiple laws. Walmart left Germany. And still you can buy all the same cheap junk food in Germany as you can in the U.S and anywhere else for that matter. And still there are a lot of rich ass people in Germany.

Owners and investors can still become disgustingly rich without exploitation of their workforce. It seems that the American system is currently geared towards making the richest even richer at the expense of everyone else (because hey it matters so much whether you have 1 billion or 2 billion U.S. dollars, right?). Anyway good luck to the sane yanks trying to correct the system - you'll prevail sooner or later ^^.
    Bingo
    in my opinion the reason why it takes so long for Americans to succeed and get to our workforce standards is for the same reason you find defenders of Walmarts handlings in this thread...
    People who defend them for no reason whatsoever, because they themselves will never in their lifetime reach the level of riches the Corporate owners have.
    Their own chance of falling into poverty for any unforeseen reason like illness etc. is exorbitantly larger than getting rich, yet they are still either completely ignorant to reality of workforce relations in the rest of the modern industrial world, or simply don't know it any better.
    Politicians of all power levels preaching about "greatest country on earth", "the best workforce on the planet"... That's what sticks to their heads.
    Whereas the plain statistics and conditions speak a complete different language.