Thread: Coming to SWTOR

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    The only reason I am playing the game is because it is free I have no intention of spending any money on this.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Totikki View Post
    Well the only thing I can say do NOT lvl a mercenary. Its the worst PvP class. There is not a single reason to take a merc over any other class for PvP or ranked PvP. Its pretty sad as I love the class itself with dual guns but all other classes have so much better utility its sad :<
    Weren't Mercenary the "spam rocket to win" class? I remember them to be quite strong. But I haven't played for months ^.^

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, and they got nerfed because of just that. Now the people who played Merc during that time, quits or rerolls cause its more balanced instead of overpowered.
    Jugg Death's Demise - Impetus Norvegicus - Kazzak EU

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    In SWTOR? How? Coins? Still extra payment. You run half xp, you have 2 action bars, you have 2 char slots, can hardly use half the gear that drops and so much more. How would you get around that without paying? Bigger bank costs money if you ain't a sub, higher grade gear costs money if you ain't a sub, more action bars cost money if you ain't a sub and so much more.
    the fact that you can level 2 characters to 50, regardless of the exp limit, is amazing by itself. ive leveled all but 3 classes to 50 so far and everyone of them have been amazing, so amazing that even if i knew i wasnt going to like any of what their end game offers i would still pay for a months subscription to play the other ones. fortunately im a subcriber and have been since launch so this doesnt effect me.

despite the fact that i think ea had their fair share of faults with rushing the game i still have to give them a little bit of credit for trying to make money with this f2p model. being able to level 2 50s and experience a few flashpoints and warzones is ment to get you interested enough in paying a monthly sub, which i find completely reasonable.

just my opinion though

Quote Originally Posted by Ninaran View Post
    Weren't Mercenary the "spam rocket to win" class? I remember them to be quite strong. But I haven't played for months ^.^
    Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    Yes, and they got nerfed because of just that. Now the people who played Merc during that time, quits or rerolls cause its more balanced instead of overpowered.

Mercenary can still shine in all my low lvl pvp time (having like 800 wins and around 40-45k kills combined from all characters) I've rarely seen classes outdamage a well played merc. I still have to see another class/ player with 450k + damage on any warzone (in low lvl pvp bracket).

10+ Year Old Account
    You gotta go with a Sith Warrior (Marauder eventually), in my opinion its by far the best story the game has to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Nris View Post
    Depends. Level 50 PVP is still a hot mess. They haven't touched balance significantly in the last 4 month. Low level PVP is somewhat balanced. Granted a lot of classes bloom pretty late and are pretty much a free kill if they are under 30.

I'm not sure where you go the range class domination idea from anyway too be honest. Probably low level PVP where a lot of gap closers and CC possibilities come late for various specs.
    I actually think 50 PVP is pretty balanced too and I play several classes not just the so called OP classes. You just need to play smart and coordinate with your team.

10+ Year Old Account
    What class did you use to play in WoW? And what role did you prefer playing? Personally I found the transition from paladin tank to jedi guardian/sith juggernaut really easy, and if you like playing that role then there would be some obvious choices to help smoothen the transition.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Varabently View Post
    I haven't played SWTOR in a few months, but I did enjoy it. It seemed like Ranged classes dominated and melee just got kited and owned when the game first came out. Maybe it's better now?
    Its still hard for melee, unless you have your own personal healer, then its bloddy superb, but ranged is better. Yeah they give melee stuff to slow targets down but half the rep play sages and they are immune to slow effects so ur screwed, and troppers and scoundreals come geared to the hilt with cc, on the odd chance u can break through all that, and dont come up agaist a sage then you can have some fun, but the game is saturated CC atm, I spend 50% of my time in bloddy cc, and it does suck given that melee need to be doing damage and while were under cc, were sitting ducks, as were not that well armored and have no sheilds or anything. Having said that when u can dps its very enjoyable!

Melee classes have stealth, more defensive cooldowns (immortal anyone?) and usually more stuns (shadow/ operative).

Quote Originally Posted by Sockmonky View Post
    Hello,
    I am an ex wow player, and I was very interested in swtor before it first came out, but then due to rl issues I was unable to sub, so I have yet to experience the game. When I heard it was free I immediately started the download. What should I do? What class would you recommend (Sith for sure, and I like all the roles equally so whichever class you believe is the best and why) I am aware of the limitations put on FTP players, but I am not sure I fully understand some of them. I am also unsure how the profession system works, and if someone could kind of spell that out for me and how I would be limited, as well as tell me what they recommend I do, that would be wonderful. Aside from that, I would love some general tips and what not for going into this game for the first time. Thanks
    Son, I'll be honest with you. This game is not good. It feels like a broke SOE game.

This game was dubbed the 'WoW killer' but it's new nickname the 'TORtanic' more or less explains how the game is. A game that was to big to fail (200 million dollars) it is disappointing. I bought the CE Version and Sub'd for twelve months so I have a huge personal investment in the game.

-First, we have glitches that have been there since BETA.

-Broken in game system. Errors are common in this game.

-Horrible Indian Customer service in the forums and on the phone. I got banned on the forums for mentioning a Cheeseburgers. I was complaining about them outsourcing to India mentioned in the post I was going to slaughter a cow and have some burgers on the grill and got banned because in India they are sacred so to us it's like us eating a dog.

-All the glasses are mirrored and have nothing special about them. Pretty much each class Jedi or Sith they are all mirrored.

-GROUP QUESTS, a lot of GROUP Quests. This is would really turned the 2 million who left off.
    1) Group Quests consist of Elite quests. In World of Warcraft as we know these a few now and thankfully we do not deal with them often. Not so in SWTOR since the more planets you go to the more you get.
    2) Dungeons are called Flashpoints and are done really well in this game however, we just got a group finder and its on the server only to cater to the Hardcore Elitists.

-Hardcore Elitists, Minority
    1) Yes we know them in MMOs they are people who live in dungeons and are from crap MMOs like Everquest, Matrix Online, FFXI and other crap MMOs.
    2) Group Finder was not placed in to please these people. However, after the game tanked and lost over one million people and it's lead Stephen Reid was fired they were forced to add one but still held their ground on getting it on the server only.
    3) Guild Summit was an event by Stephen Reid who got fired invited the Elitists of the game to purpose game ideas that no one liked except those in the failed SWG game.
    4) Stephen Reid who again was fired further pissed of 2 million people who left by banning people who were to good at the game. Basically like WoW you had low leveled people who went to a high level zone and got loot. So you could go there and were no prevented and it had a warning of "Recommended level" but they are not going to ban people or say not to go there but if you do and get loot you can be banned because of bad gaming design.

- It's a Bioware Title which does not mean quality anymore

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by HisShadowX View Post
    Son, I'll be honest with you. This game is not good. It feels like a broke SOE game.

This game was dubbed the 'WoW killer' but it's new nickname the 'TORtanic' more or less explains how the game is. A game that was to big to fail (200 million dollars) it is disappointing. I bought the CE Version and Sub'd for twelve months so I have a huge personal investment in the game.

-First, we have glitches that have been there since BETA.

-Broken in game system. Errors are common in this game.

-Horrible Indian Customer service in the forums and on the phone. I got banned on the forums for mentioning a Cheeseburgers. I was complaining about them outsourcing to India mentioned in the post I was going to slaughter a cow and have some burgers on the grill and got banned because in India they are sacred so to us it's like us eating a dog.

-All the glasses are mirrored and have nothing special about them. Pretty much each class Jedi or Sith they are all mirrored.

-GROUP QUESTS, a lot of GROUP Quests. This is would really turned the 2 million who left off.
    1) Group Quests consist of Elite quests. In World of Warcraft as we know these a few now and thankfully we do not deal with them often. Not so in SWTOR since the more planets you go to the more you get.
    2) Dungeons are called Flashpoints and are done really well in this game however, we just got a group finder and its on the server only to cater to the Hardcore Elitists.

1) Yes we know them in MMOs they are people who live in dungeons and are from crap MMOs like Everquest, Matrix Online, FFXI and other crap MMOs.
    2) Group Finder was not placed in to please these people. However, after the game tanked and lost over one million people and it's lead Stephen Reid was fired they were forced to add one but still held their ground on getting it on the server only.
    3) Guild Summit was an event by Stephen Reid who got fired invited the Elitists of the game to purpose game ideas that no one liked except those in the failed SWG game.
    4) Stephen Reid who again was fired further pissed of 2 million people who left by banning people who were to good at the game. Basically like WoW you had low leveled people who went to a high level zone and got loot. So you could go there and were no prevented and it had a warning of "Recommended level" but they are not going to ban people or say not to go there but if you do and get loot you can be banned because of bad gaming design.

Ive seen alot of rubbish on these forums but this tops the lot, the fact you think Stephen Reid was a "lead" anything and had any input into anything game design wise or decision wise makes me chuckle, he was the communtiy manger in charge of the forums and twitter etc, hes was a low level employee, who actually was good for alot of players and was better at communicating to the players then most. And they were banned because they exploited, not because they went there at a low level, you can still go to places above your level.

you really should know the subject matter your trolling about much better.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyUK View Post
    Ive seen alot of rubbish on these forums but this tops the lot, the fact you think Stephen Reid was a "lead" anything and had any input into anything game design wise or decision wise makes me chuckle, he was the communtiy manger in charge of the forums and twitter etc, hes was a low level employee, who actually was good for alot of players and was better at communicating to the players then most. And they were banned because they exploited, not because they went there at a low level, you can still go to places above your level.

you really should know the subject matter your trolling about much better.
    Exploiting? They were banned because they were to good at the game. First the game never blocked you from going to Illum even Stephen Reid who got fired for being horrible at his job said they were not going to prevent people for going and opening chests but again because of a game design people who survived and showed skill for being good at the game got banned.

Now if the area was blocked off at that time and said do not go if you're under a certain level I could understand that. But it didn't.

If the game has a bad design or you wished to block something off but did not then you deserve what you got. Problem is the game did not prevent anyone for doing anything all it did was "recommend" and that's a key word here. So when you play this game you play it literally at your own risk.

Exploiting? They were banned because they were to good at the game. First the game never blocked you from going to Illum even Stephen Reid who got fired for being horrible at his job said they were not going to prevent people for going and opening chests but again because of a game design people who survived and showed skill for being good at the game got banned.

Now if the area was blocked off at that time and said do not go if you're under a certain level I could understand that. But it didn't.

If the game has a bad design or you wished to block something off but did not then you deserve what you got. Problem is the game did not prevent anyone for doing anything all it did was "recommend" and that's a key word here. So when you play this game you play it literally at your own risk.
    You know these sample givers around food stores for giveaway to people just walking by? The people which went to illum and farmed the shit out of the loot boxes would be like people staying next to these sample givers and eating everything up, waiting for them to refill only to eat everything up again and so on. Bioware only really got aware of it because the amount of times the same toon was looting the same box rised to an astonishing amount of time spend there.

They didn't ban people for going to illum, they banned people because they farmed lootboxes over days constantly over and over and over again. It's probably a lost cause on you or not but these boxes are supposed to be for everyone, not only for a few selected people with too much time on their hand.

However I guess you also blame Bioware for banning the person hacking themselves a white color crystal?!

I'm playing as a Sith Juggernaut and I loved tanking, he feels like he is durable and still hits hard enough to hold his own. I am really enjoying it despite the restrictions, and I don't know if I will ever pay if I can get away with it. I don't have a lot of money and would rather spend my momney on food/gf/car/pet. Tahnks to everyone for the help also.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sockmonky View Post
    I'm playing as a Sith Juggernaut and I loved tanking, he feels like he is durable and still hits hard enough to hold his own. I am really enjoying it despite the restrictions, and I don't know if I will ever pay if I can get away with it. I don't have a lot of money and would rather spend my momney on food/gf/car/pet. Tahnks to everyone for the help also.
    Indeed, the juggernauts/guardians have a lot of "oh-shit" buttons, that can come in handy and are pretty decent for aoe tanking. Personally I prefer being a sub, although it was my intention to go F2P once that kicked in, however I wouldn't want to give up on the things I have now as a sub.

Anyway thought I'd give you a few links to help you get started in the game:
    - Stats, builds and such: consult Noxxic
    - Flashpoint guide: some nice guides written by Dulfy
    - Companion guides: True Galaxies have some decent ones, that includes prefered companion gifts
    - Datacrons: if you decide to start hunting for these then I'd advice you to check out either SWTOR SPY (only pics and coords) or Republic Trooper (has vids)

Enjoy leveling to 50, probably one of the best story/leveling experiences in an MMO (imo).

Deleted
    pick sith warrior or inquisitor - play the story, if you enjoy that consider subbing - 1-50 takes a while, but you will know if you like the game or not in that time, some people just dont like the feel of the game, the flash points and quest feel kinda arcade like which i personally enjoy, but some dont think it suits an mmo

Snip

I want to address your hatred of group quests, as I am probably a minority that truly loves them. They do not need to be completed, are available as dailys and give decent rewards. But in SWTOR they are even more than that, they are epic! I love the feel of the group quests in this game, because you work as a team and accomplish a difficult goal for your level. It was sad when WoW, a MMO, decided to take out all group quests. I would venture to guess they took out the quests because they have only a minimal level of content during the leveling experience. This lead to almost completely dead zones, and now with CRZ I wish they would re-implement group quests. SWTOR has a large amount of content during the leveling experience, and it is one of the primary reasons to play the game.

To the OP, I would say all of the imperial questlines have their own strengths. The Imperial Agent makes you feel like James Bond. The Inquisitor makes you feel truly evil. The Warrior makes you a high ranking lacky to the Emperor himself, and the Bounty Hunter pits you against other amazing Bounty Hunters in the "Great Hunt". God every single one of the storylines is amazing.

I would order them from favorite to least ( and least doesn't mean bad, but if I had to this is the order)
    Bounty Hunter
    Imperial Agent
    Sith Inquisitor
    Sith Warrior

Play the game as if you were playing KOTOR 3, and realize that you have at least 8 truly unique personal stories. The repetitive planets can get somewhat boring, but that is why I try to throw warzones and flashpoints into the mix. When given the choice to go to alderran of tattoine I choose one of them, level to where i need and then use flashpoints, rather than the other planet. This leaves me new planets on other toons.
    Last edited by Elgand; 2012-11-28 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Grammar

Deleted
    You only lose luxury if you are f2p, nothing important.

I absolutly loved playing my Sith Juggernaut, nothing in wow can compare to its sheer awesomeness.