LFR Shin'ka, Execution of Dominion vs Normal Starshatter

So yeah as title says, which one is better? Shin'ka, Execution of Domnion LFR with Legendary gem, or Starshatter normal? .

Deleted
    Shinka with a gem.

H Shin'ka > H Starshatter > Shin'ka > Starshatter > LFR Shin'ka > LFR Starshatter = Mogu'Dar.

Quote Originally Posted by Veliane View Post
    H Shin'ka > H Starshatter > Shin'ka > Starshatter > LFR Shin'ka > LFR Starshatter = Mogu'Dar.
    not quite, shinka has the gemsocket, so if youve got normal shinka with +500 str, it beats H Starshatter, and LFR beats normal.
    since the Ilvl are only 6 apart everytime, ofcourse you should also factor in the usefullness of the secondary stats.

me 2 cents

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaoshi View Post
    not quite, shinka has the gemsocket, so if youve got normal shinka with +500 str, it beats H Starshatter, and LFR beats normal.
    since the Ilvl are only 6 apart everytime, ofcourse you should also factor in the usefullness of the secondary stats.

me 2 cents
    Nope.Hc Starshatter has higher weapon dmg and dps and even with the gem the normal axe cant beat that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by marinos View Post
    Nope.Hc Starshatter has higher weapon dmg and dps and even with the gem the normal axe cant beat that.
    A quick simulation indeed seems to support that. However, at least according to my weights, LFR axe beats normal sword. I only did napkin math though.

For my character, at least, weapon DPS has a stat weight of 4.74. So the 228 DPS difference between LFR Shin'ka and normal Starshatter is worth 228*4.74 = 1081 points.

Meanwhile, again for my own character, Strength has a stat weight of 2.83. So the 500-strength gem is worth 500*2.83 = 1415 points.

So the gem does indeed outweigh the increased DPS. However, Starshatter also has more stats on it due to its higher ilvl, and Shin'ka is crit/mastery, which is the worst stat combination for Ret.

A more complete comparison (again, using my own simmed stat weights; simming and using your own is highly recommended):
    Starshatter (reforged crit -> haste):
    4186 DPS (228 more than Shin'ka)
    1146 Str
    634 Exp
    505 Crit
    336 Haste

LFR Shin'ka (reforged mastery -> exp)
    3958 DPS
    1584 Str (including gem; 438 more than Starshatter)
    723 crit (218 more than Starshatter)
    434 Mastery
    289 Expertise

So, overall, going from Shin'ka to Starshatter gives these changes:
    +228 DPS
    +345 Exp
    +336 Haste
    -438 Str
    -218 Crit
    -434 Mastery

And these changes have a total weight of 228*4.74+345*1.58+336*1.4-438*2.83-218*.98-434*.89 = 256.8. It came out positive, so it's a net gain, but a very small one (worth <100 Strength).

Since it's so close, it can probably go either way pretty easily depending on the details of your specific setup. It's close enough that the Human expertise bonus can probably make the decision for you, if applicable. But, as always, simming it yourself is highly recommended. Be sure to include reforging when comparing them, so that you're not comparing an un-exp-capped Shin'ka to a capped Starshatter, or a capped Shin'ka to a wasted-over-the-cap Starshatter.
    Last edited by Meteoric; 2012-11-24 at 02:32 AM.