Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    Deleted

Fondest memories of Vanilla

What were you're best, funnest memories or biggest achievments back in Vanilla?

My best memory was the communtity and general friendly-ness on our server also i have the fondest memory of whenever a member of our guild was promoted to Raider, our whole raid team consisting of 40+ players would go to a building in the Catherdral square and all kneel down in front of our GM with the officers behind him, he would then continue to, how shall i describe it, almost knight him and then make a speech! It was great!

Getting Verigan's Fist on my Pally. I felt so awesome. And I was a Holy Pally because I didn't realize there were 2 tabs for specs :P

My second best memory was getting my Charger at lvl 60. We did Scholo with all Paladins (no squishies - yay), seal weaving to control the different waves of mobs, it was just awesome. After we got it, we mounted up outside the instance...and proceeded to run into things because it moved so fast.

My 3rd best memory was when I was getting beat up by gnolls in Elwnn. I ran away across a river/pond for safety, and ended up in a strange land. Very dark and spooky. Then I saw my first "skull" lvl mob (it was a spider). I didn't know what that meant, so I attacked....yikes. Welcome to Duskwood.

On the flip side - my worst memory was running until lvl 40. It was horrible. Especially Duskwood....running back and forth and back and back and forth.....ugh.
    Last edited by yjmark; 2012-11-21 at 09:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thenamedosentfi View Post
    What were you're best, funnest memories or biggest achievments back in Vanilla?

My best memory was the communtity and general friendly-ness on our server also i have the fondest memory of whenever a member of our guild was promoted to Raider, our whole raid team consisting of 40+ players would go to a building in the Catherdral square and all kneel down in front of our GM with the officers behind him, he would then continue to, how shall i describe it, almost knight him and then make a speech! It was great!
    The first time we beat Van Cleef. My son took the head before all of us rezzed. back then there was a bug or oversight that didn't allow you to complete the quest while in group if you were dead. Man were there some pissed off people.

Also, the first time we went from westfall to duskwood. man was that creepy and the spiders just wouldn't leave us alone. teh pally survived but me (the priest) didn't. Armor actually meant something then.

Editing to add my first entrance into MC and when we finally pulled all of the racket and commotion unfolding. It was like feburary or march of 2005 so everyone was a fresh 60 with just some blues from dungeons and strat, scholo, ubrs. we didn't really have excellent rotations or anything like that so you saw and heard arcane missiles, shadow bolt spam, people yelling in vent "stop knocking my dots off". Man it was fun.

The first time i got wtf one shot by HOgger. I didn't know what an elite was and then this thing came and 1 shot me. lol.

The first real pvp happened in STV. man those undead rogues, and that undead spriest were pains in the ass. real fun though.

Of course, the opening of AV and dueling outside the tunnel. was real fun.
    Last edited by Caliph; 2012-11-22 at 02:18 AM.

Funny: suffocating while standing in a measly puddle because for some reason Moonkin breathed through their feet.

Best... i guess finally being able to leave it behind, followed by getting the Staff of Dominance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Clearing ZG getting the raptor mount, doing joint raids with another guild for Ony and MC. It was hectic, but fun.

Deleted
    Entering the Kobold mine just outside Goldshire on a paladin i created on my friends account. I have no idea why but I just loved that moment so much.

Deleted
    -First time Deadmines... bought crisps and some pepsi, enjoyed the whole instance while doing it with some friends.
    -Entering Stormwind for the first time and then using the tram... epic.
    -Showing my brother the world map after having played for something like 3 days and realizing that i probably have only discovered 5% of azeroth yet and still it was already that awesome.
    -Waking up at 1pm on a saturday, seeing an open Alterac Valley and knowing what i will be doing for the next hours... the battle lasted for 12h or so (there only were AVs every few weeks on my Pve Realm).
    -Guild meetings (ingame) every month.
    -Overall the whole community... every duel and every battleground counted if you wanted to have a good reputation.
    etc...

I think i have more of these memories of vanilla than all xpacs combined.

Deleted
    Hard to name just 1 so here goes

Entering SW with the music was simply amazing

Discovering the entrance to Deadmines - i had absolutely no idea what an elite mob was let alone an instance so i figured i'd clear the place on my mage. Only made it to the first patrolling elite right down the stairs

Clearing Deadmines was epic

BGs before cross realm pvp - You knew your team mates and the opposition and you could always tell before a match if it would be easy, close or you'd be steamrolled but no matter what there was a good amount of respect between horde and alliance pvp regulars

Killing Raggy for the very first time

The opening event of AQ
    Last edited by mmocd538608e0f; 2012-11-21 at 11:21 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    The massive world that took ages to explore. Now its all old and the expansions are tiny compared to Azeroth.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Everything being new and fresh was my fondest memory....
    yeah this^

that not having a clue about the game and everything being new and exciting

beeing young and having unlimited hours to play/raid oh why do we have to grow up!

10+ Year Old Account
    Being a complete noob was pretty great, everything was fresh and new.

My favorite time in the game was when i saw a level 60 rogue with 2 big 1 handed ninja looking swords with a fiery enchant on each, i whispered her saying "cool glow!" (lol) we talked for a while and then we became friends later that day few of her friends ran me through the dungeons i needed to form the 2h paladin quest mace verigan's fist

Another awesome time was discovering world PvP, there was an afk horde guy in the barrens flagged and i thought it was an NPC so i went and attacked him, he didn't fight back so i just killed him and got my first honorable kill - SORRY! <3

Getting the ice barbed spear from the AV quest was also fun and walking around like a boss the week after i got my private title because i thought i was respected by stormwind, LOL

Also levelling up, running form south shore all the way to scarlet monastery and seeing how far you could run into undercity with randoms and having a laugh

AND running for hours on end with friends in really high level zones to explore and get flight paths just to look for different environments, oh winterspring <3

AND flying over the burning steppes at a low level and seeing level ?? mobs, made me scared and i was worried that i'd never get to explore that area of the map even though it looked so cool

Good times

EDIT: printing off a screenshot of my character and sticking it next to my bed when i got my new pally mace with beastslaying LOL
    Last edited by Sound911; 2012-11-21 at 11:41 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tart View Post
    The massive world that took ages to explore. Now its all old and the expansions are tiny compared to Azeroth.
    it's a bit of a problem that. I agree completely btw. But this is part of why there is so much nostalgia. The landmass and content of the expansions are actually way too small. Take Outlands. Tiny. I hated the expansion because of that. The the other expansions were the same, some even smaller! Blizzard we want to go explore.

Deleted
    Tauren Mill pvp.

My first World PvP encounters in Ashenvale, and also my addiction to sitting in Westfall all day long at lvl 20-40.

Oh, first time hitting 60, definitely. It felt like such an enormous achievement, simply because it took so long back in those days. I still remember exactly where I was, who was online in the guild and what mob I dinged on.

Quote Originally Posted by yjmark View Post
    Getting Verigan's Fist on my Pally. I felt so awesome. And I was a Holy Pally because I didn't realize there were 2 tabs for specs :P

My second best memory was getting my Charger at lvl 60. We did Scholo with all Paladins (no squishies - yay), seal weaving to control the different waves of mobs, it was just awesome. After we got it, we mounted up outside the instance...and proceeded to run into things because it moved so fast.

My 3rd best memory was when I was getting beat up by gnolls in Elwnn. I ran away across a river/pond for safety, and ended up in a strange land. Very dark and spooky. Then I saw my first "skull" lvl mob (it was a spider). I didn't know what that meant, so I attacked....yikes. Welcome to Duskwood.

On the flip side - my worst memory was running until lvl 40. It was horrible. Especially Duskwood....running back and forth and back and back and forth.....ugh.
    I still have my Verigan's Fist, now stocked in transmog mode...

And yeah I remember doing that awesome long questline for the Paladin Horse.

4 real life friends helped me doing it in Scholomance. Things you never forget.

Everybody being super excited for RP-PvP realms. Meeting a load of strangers in Westfall and all of us sitting around a campfire chatting. Exploring Duskwood with our torches out. Meeting the same Orc duo all the time as we leveled up at a similar pace to them. Seeing all the notorious PvPers of our realm in BG's. The great Paladin and Druid quests.

10+ Year Old Account
    Old Darkshore, Auberdine, Southshore...

10+ Year Old Account
    Running up the hill past Lakeshire in the Redridge mountains on my level 10 or so toon, and promptly dying to the orcs that came charging out from behind a rock.

Giving a friend a potion I'd made, watching him drink it and then promptly fall over dead. (He was a high-level hunter. )

Blackfathom Deeps. The whole damn thing. It was the first dungeon I tanked, and it was an absolute blast, even if we did die repeatedly right before the next-to-last boss (Kelris?) because of NPcs mind-controlling half the party because we didn't have a clue what we were doing. And then completely wiping on the summoned monsters as we lit all four candles in short order. Finally making it to the end, and being very glad we got a portal back to Darnassus.

Getting my mount and being soooooo glad I didn't have to run everywhere anymore.

On my NE hunter, being chased by a pair of Horde from the Barrens until I escaped down into Thousand Needles by the skin of my teeth, then ambushing them and killing them both when they followed me after a bit.

Doing the Mithril Order blacksmithing quests and getting my trinket.

The mix of thrill and terror from attempting the Lycaeum in Blackrock Depths in the high 50s. Holding off an endless mob of dwarves for ages in a running fight as we tried to get the doors open and make it through them.

Being told "look in the rune behind Golmagg and you can see Ragnaros" and getting incinerated when I tried it. (That one was basically a right of passage.)

Getting to Ragnaros for the first time. The music as we approached, the building excitement, the sheer terror when he comes up out of the lava. I still can't think of another boss that matches his combination of dramatic appearance and epic scale.
    Last edited by ringpriest; 2012-11-22 at 12:28 AM.

Deleted
    Exploration. Remember starting a thread on the beta with a few mates as we kept progress of all the stuff we discovered via corpse runs and dodging high level mobs. Still remember when we found the king in Duskwallow Marsh that later became part of the Onxiya quest (iirc). Also remember having to run, die of fatigue, run again, repeat etc on an epic mount to get to a small island at the south of Tanaris to find a message in a bottle saying 'you shouldn't be here'.

Also Kill On Sight lists people put on forums. Remember there was a massive Alliance guild called Avalon and me and some RL mates had a small guild of maybe 10 people who just constantly ganked any of them. Nerd rage ensued for months as we worked our way to the top of their most hated players !