Deleted

Output damage commas question

Hello, i have seen commas in output damage text (Blizzard combat text) in this video:
    "Dagger in the Dark Horde Scenario"
    youtu.be/70mHxH54_jw
    Commas to group thousands, like "120,356" damage instead of "120356" damage
    Is it just on the PTR? I want commas too, how can i enable them? An addon maybe?

P.S. my wow client is not english, if it matters

I thought the default Blizzard Combat text started doing this in 5.0.4.

Deleted
    in which languages except english?

atleast it does not for russian client

Quote Originally Posted by Harsesis View Post
    I thought the default Blizzard Combat text started doing this in 5.0.4.
    i really thought it was just in MOP Beta and canceled for the release.
    Are there any settings to enable/disable commas ?
    Last edited by mmoca2bcdbbbea; 2012-11-22 at 01:24 PM.

Deleted
    Tested it with low level death knight in english realm, commas are everywhere, not just output damage, would love to port it to russian language if its possible

Was actually thinking about this last night, does anyone know if you can add commas to addons like MSBT?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Treelife View Post
    Was actually thinking about this last night, does anyone know if you can add commas to addons like MSBT?
    /msbt->Spam Control-> [v]Group by Thousands

Deleted
    Im not very good at programming, but im trying to alter exported Blizzard_combat_text addon to format numbers with commas

Quote Originally Posted by turtlefreak View Post
    /msbt->Spam Control-> [v]Group by Thousands
    Much love.<3

Deleted
    I dont know, why there are no modified Blizzard scrolling combat text, which is a lot better, and displays outgoing damage at enemy models, unlike MSBT, which displays damage at fixed place on the screen, what i would love to see - completely inherited Blizzard CombatText addon with formatted text output to add commas, just like enGB and enUS clients see it by default (actually all 4 files in that addon are equal with same hash, the difference is system-wide, not in addon, but outside of it). I think a skilled wow addon creator could answer this question or make that addon.

Breaking it down:
    1) Inherit (copy) default Blizzard CombatText addon
    2) Alter .TOC file
    3) in .LUA add code, to disable default Blizzard addon and use our addon instead
    4) in .LUA add section text formatting section to display 1024 damage as 1,024 with comma (using similar to printf() function)

I think it would not take much time.
    If its possible, could someone be kind to do it ?

I would be very thankful. <3

Edit: hmm, maybe i just need to format the combat log text itself, not the scrolling floating damage text because it pulls data from combat log, i believe
    Last edited by mmoca2bcdbbbea; 2012-11-24 at 09:51 PM.

Deleted
    Because positioning relative to 3D models is nothing addons can do. It's not as simple as copying and modifying Blizzard code - Blizzard code can do stuff addons (including modified Blizzard code) cannot do. It's called "secure code".

Also, you cannot "modify the combat log text". That's just not how it works.

1. C code receives combat log data from server
    2. C code generates an event
    3. All frame objects that are registered for that event are processed one by one. Their OnEvent handler is pushed onto the Lua stack by the C code, followed by the function's arguments (e.g. event name and parameters), then called.
    3b. The Lua OnEvent executes. Once it returns, the C code returns to 3. and pushes + calls the next registered frame's OnEvent. Modification to the arguments never gets back to the C code and does not influence the arguments the next OnEvent script gets.

The combat log window is simply one frame registered for COMBAT_LOG_EVENT. The default damage text (if it even uses events/Lua code - I'm not sure about that one) is another frame registered for COMBAT_LOG_EVENT. You cannot just "modify" the events that this second frame receives. Like I said above, that's not how it works.
    Last edited by mmocba105e19de; 2012-11-25 at 12:28 PM.

Deleted
    Thanks for your answer, so the only legal option is to beg Blizzard to add an official option for commas, its so annoying to see 5-6 digit damage numbers not grouped in any way at all, especially when english locale got it fixed. Internally there is an API "BreakUpLargeNumbers", but, unfortunately, it converts numbers to localized strings
    Last edited by mmoca2bcdbbbea; 2012-11-25 at 03:32 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Saah View Post
    Thanks for your answer, so the only legal option is to beg Blizzard to add an official option for commas, its so annoying to see 5-6 digit damage numbers not grouped in any way at all, especially when english locale got it fixed. Internally there is an API "BreakUpLargeNumbers" (wowpedia.org/API_BreakUpLargeNumbers), but, unfortunately, it converts numbers to localized strings
    BreakUpLargeNumbers is not internal. You can use it in addons, and it's not a problem that it converts to string as long as you take it into account in your code. You just can't use it for the outgoing combat text because that's protected.

Deleted
    I wonder if you could hook that without tainting. Probably not, I doubt they bothered to securecall that everywhere.

---------- Post added 2012-11-25 at 05:28 PM ----------

You can, in fact, hook this without tainting, however it doesn't apply to the floating combat text.

/run SetCVar('BreakUpLargeNumbers', 1); ReloadUI()
    Try that /10chars

Deleted
    On russian forums i got another solution:
    put an addon, which consists of just one row in its lua file:
    LARGE_NUMBER_SEPERATOR = ","
    which lets you alter the separator, using something else instead of comma or even disable it

complete and working addon which i use for that purpose can be downloaded here:
    http://zalil.ru/33816019

Problem is solved, thanks to everyone

Edit: its a content for a new guide on how to alter/disable large number separator
    Last edited by mmoca2bcdbbbea; 2012-11-26 at 04:17 PM.

Deleted
    So there's a global for it? I'll keep that in mind next time. Seems atypically...thoughtful for something Blizzard-made.

Quote Originally Posted by Saah View Post
    On russian forums i got another solution:
    put an addon, which consists of just one row in its lua file:

which lets you alter the separator, using something else instead of comma or even disable it

complete and working addon which i use for that purpose can be downloaded here:
    http://zalil.ru/33816019

Problem is solved, thanks to everyone

Edit: its a content for a new guide on how to alter/disable large number separator
    Did you or blizzard spell the global name wrong?

EDIT: Looks like blizzard did
    Last edited by Woogs; 2012-11-27 at 09:47 AM.